Speculation: Sens talk about stuff and things (Old Olle)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Boro & DeMello are entering their UFA yr & one if not both could be traded at some point next season leading up to the trade deadline.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Harpur has to be traded, they just have to much LD already. Starting next year the depth chart is:

Chabot - 25 minutes
Wolanin - 18 minutes
Brannstrom - 17 minutes
——————————
That’s 60 minutes of LD hockey
——————————-
#7 Boro - will play because he’s Melnycks boy
#8 Lajoie - good depth guy at #7/8 who can skate at an NHL standard
#9 Harpur - to inconsistent to be a regular or a fill in. Good AHL Dman who
#10 Asling - should get a couple of NHL games to see what’s up.

They’ll need to ship out at least 1 LD, waivers perhaps for Harpur or a draft day trade.
Chabot Brannstrom Wolanin Lajoie Borowiecki Harpur Alsing Tychonik Englund. That’s a lot

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Chabot Brannstrom Wolanin Lajoie Borowiecki Harpur Alsing Tychonik Englund. That’s a lot

Dorion did say he will be dealing prospects and picks because they just have to many. I’m 100% against trading any of Wolanin, Brannstrom or Chabot, but the club does have a tendency to overpay for (Duchesne, Burrows, Brassard, Phaneuf) - and undersell Hoffman, Zibby, Stone, Duchene, Karlsson, Bishop etc so I don’t think this will go well, but they’ll sell it as ‘we have depth so dealt from a position of strength) type of move to try and lessen the impact.

My guess is we do something like

EDM: Wolanin
OTT: Kassian

And say big teams with big wingers won in the playoffs so we need big wingers.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Dorion did say he will be dealing prospects and picks because they just have to many. I’m 100% against trading any of Wolanin, Brannstrom or Chabot, but the club does have a tendency to overpay for (Duchesne, Burrows, Brassard, Phaneuf) - and undersell Hoffman, Zibby, Stone, Duchene, Karlsson, Bishop etc so I don’t think this will go well, but they’ll sell it as ‘we have depth so dealt from a position of strength) type of move to try and lessen the impact.

Terrible. You don't trade Wolanin for a mediocre winger with one year on his contract.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Good point. I could see them deciding to keep Harpur because he can play some RD and LD - but he doesn’t do either very well even if he can do it. Boro also plays RD and seems to do a better job then Harpur.

Our RD is solid, more established then the LD

Ceci
Demelo
Jaros
3rd pairing defenders at best.
Chabot > those guys.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Did I just read that the Sens “overpaid” to get Phaneuf?

The 2nd round pick is only piece of value given up; while sending 3 cap dumps in TO totalling 18 M$ (IIRC). How is it is an overpayment?

Reactions: Sensinitis

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think the team does need some bigger tougher, but not dumber, wingers. Would like Reaves and Maroon on the team. Very tough to play against.

BUT, I do not want to trade Wolanin for Kassian.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Dorion making trades scares the hell out of me. He has ruined this team.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Did I just read that the Sens “overpaid” to get Phaneuf?

The 2nd round pick is only piece of value given up; while sending 3 cap dumps in TO totalling 18 M$ (IIRC). How is it is an overpayment?

They are still oaying Phaneuf off our payroll $1.75 and we had to take Gaborik back who is $5 million for the next years. Add those two up and you’re still paying $6.75 for 3 more years

Cap management nightmare not to mention a complete misevaluation of a player who probably won’t be in the NHL next season.

Ottawa would of been better to buy out Cowen as Toronto did at 2/3 the money, and buru the Greening and Michalek contracts in the minors.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They are still oaying Phaneuf off our payroll $1.75 and we had to take Gaborik back who is $5 million for the next years. Add those two up and you’re still paying $6.75 for 3 more years

Cap management nightmare not to mention a complete misevaluation of a player who probably won’t be in the NHL next season.

Ottawa would of been better to buy out Cowen as Toronto did at 2/3 the money, and buru the Greening and Michalek contracts in the minors.
Money in for money out....We could never look to make any type of move as EM was not buying anybody out....So it had to be for cap dumps

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Money in for money out....We could never look to make any type of move as EM was not buying anybody out....So it had to be for cap dumps

But was it a salary dump, we are still on t3 hook for $7 million for 3 more years, doesn't look like a salary dump to me, just horrible Cap management and probably some Melncyk interference to force a trade for the Leaves Captain since at heart he is a Leaves fan.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Looks like I missed that reply

Burying those contracts would have cost money. Phaneuf filled a very big need at the moment he was acquired. They were hoping he could help longer but it didn't happen.

Ottawa, in case you haven't noticed, is running on big financial constraints. At the moment, the Sens are still under the cap floor but will finally reach it once they sign White and Wolanin, thanks to the +9 M$ LTIR contracts of Gaborik and MacArthur

I won't take the time to do the exact calculations but what you have to account many facts before being able to determine Phaneuf's cost to the Sens.

- Michalek, Greening, Cowen going the other way : 2 of them were not NHL anymore, Michalek was on his last miles. Pure cap dumps, IIRC Sens saved 16.2 M$ in salary by including them in the deal. It's pretty much like if the Leafs retained on Phaneuf, who was still owed 33 M$ for the last 5 years of his contract. When you substract that 16 M$ in salary saved, Phaneuf suddenly becomes not very expensive. And in the end, not for long as he got flipped for Gaborik.

- Gaborik didn't cost much : he finished the season with the Sens (pro-rated) then went on the LTIR, and his salary is 80% insured. That's absolutely fantastic for Melnyk because it takes cap space for 20% of the cost. Yes the Sens retained but overall the cost of having Phaneuf was minimal for the Sens and it still serves a purpose, which is reaching the cap floor without spending for REAL.

I know you always ignore what you are being explained, but oh well, at least the realistic info is going to be in the thread and not some misguided propaganda

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Michalek, Greening, Cowen going the other way : 2 of them were not NHL anymore, Michalek was on his last miles. Pure cap dumps, IIRC Sens saved 16.2 M$ in salary by including them in the deal. It's pretty much like if the Leafs retained on Phaneuf, who was still owed 33 M$ for the last 5 years of his contract. When you substract that 16 M$ in salary saved, Phaneuf suddenly becomes not very expensive. And in the end, not for long as he got flipped for Gaborik.
All had expiring deals with 1 or 2 years left. Taking on Phaneuf with his long term contract was a mistake. So was giving Cowen, Michalek and Greening their contracts.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Who has been overly negative about Alsing here?

A few have pointed out he's a smaller player, that he's more likely a depth guy at the NHL level at best, but that's just honestly a legit attempt to project him. No one here has unfairly dumped on the kid. He's a wait-and-see player.

Please allow me ... Ottawa didn't & doesn't need another small soft Swede on their team or in their organization especially one who will never play in the NHL. They have had plenty of them over the yrs which in the end they never have won a cup. Thank you. I concede the floor to the next honurable member.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Please allow me ... Ottawa didn't & doesn't need another small soft Swede on their team or in their organization especially one who will never play in the NHL. They have had plenty of them over the yrs which in the end they never have won a cup. Thank you. I concede the floor to the next honurable member.
They have had plenty of big bruisers at the same time and have failed to win a cup? Pretty simple isn't it?

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
All had expiring deals with 1 or 2 years left. Taking on Phaneuf with his long term contract was a mistake. So was giving Cowen, Michalek and Greening their contracts.

Yes but it did save 16.2 M$ is REAL DOLLARS, even if there was 1 or 2 years left. Michalek was never a mistake, he has been on friendly deals his whole career, who got shortened because of injuries. Cowen's contract wouldn't have been a mistake too if it wasn't for injuries. He just never was the same player after he came back in 2013 (IIRC). Greening was a mistake from day 1 IMO. Bottom-6 player who got glorified, his salary should have been about half

Taking on Phaneuf repaired all this. If you think that "Taking on Phaneuf with his long term contract was a mistake" it's probably just because you don't know how to make the calculations. I could do them but I have hinted enough for anybody to figure it out. I have other things to do than post on this board lol

It looks like this
33 - 16 - + - + - / number of games * 82

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Meanwhile Buddy Robinson, David Dziurzynski, Ben Harpur, Colin Greening and all those big tall, tough guys have sure been the cornerstones of successful seasons.

Let's face it; two small, soft Swedes (Alfie and EK) have led us to the most successful seasons and postseasons that we've ever had. Not the Zack Smiths and the Boros.

SMH.

The sooner you realize that taller isn't better (at hockey anyway) the better off you'll be.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They have had plenty of big bruisers at the same time and have failed to win a cup? Pretty simple isn't it?

NO! Because the coaches they have had during those times were p***y's who wouldn't play the tough guys at the time they should have. JM got schooled by Pat Quinn in numerous playoffs & never learned. EK got punched in the head by Boyle & PM had to bring in Calkner in the next game to make amends. Then when Tanner Glass was embarrassing our soft team GB had to swallow his pride & bring Neil back to tame him. There are countless other examples over the yrs of this franchise being pushed around & embarrassed in so many games including playoff games.

They are the very definition of insanity doing the same thing yr after yr & expecting a different result. Until they get tougher, until they are the team that pushes other team's around they will continue to be a welcome mat getting walked on for the rest of the league. Hell, even other teams coming into Ott for their games know this will be an easy game for them with next to no hitting because Ott is not a hard team to play against.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Meanwhile Buddy Robinson, David Dziurzynski, Ben Harpur, Colin Greening and all those big tall, tough guys have sure been the cornerstones of successful seasons.

Let's face it; two small, soft Swedes (Alfie and EK) have led us to the most successful seasons and postseasons that we've ever had. Not the Zack Smiths and the Boros.

SMH.

The sooner you realize that taller isn't better (at hockey anyway) the better off you'll be.
And yet those two were there as well during that success along with Neil preventing those two from getting the crap beat out of them. The sooner you realize that this team needs to be tougher, the sooner to a playoff spot they will be, otherwise they will continue to go nowhere with these small soft players. NOBODY is afraid to play the Sens NOBODY!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad