Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Stars Jan. 13 The Return Of Mr. Giggles Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Was just going to post this.

It's certainly not impossible.

These players are tough to get but not impossible. We've did it with Bobby and It can be made with a center no question about it.

To be honest, I don't even think we need a real #1 guy. Another two-way second line center would probably do the trick. A little like what Legwand was supposed to bring. It would make the top 6 that much better by not only making it more complete but giving breathing room to other players like Zibby and Turris.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
These players are tough to get but not impossible. We've did it with Bobby and It can be made with a center no question about it.

To be honest, I don't even think we need a real #1 guy. Another two-way second line center would probably do the trick. A little like what Legwand was supposed to bring. It would make the top 6 that much better by not only making it more complete but giving breathing room to other players like Zibby and Turris.

With luck Turris would grow more comfortable in his new duties and Zibby becomes what we expect him to become, while Pageau, Lazar and company continue to develop positively. This would make the need for a true #1 guy less of an issue for sure.

But that's if everything goes our way. I think ideally we trade for a 1st line center without giving away anything essential.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

O'Reilly is apparently available, though I wouldn't want to pay the price for him. Outside of him though, who's available?

Could probably get a Berglund or someone like that but why bother. We aren't going to land a #1 center right now, I just can't see a target.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not really trying to say it's the fans fault, I just find it funny that we are now missing something we just had.

We're not missing something we just had at all. What we had and what we need a two different things. Spezza is a player that doesn't backcheck, doesn't make defensive effort in order to make the team better. I've said it before and it feels redundant but not everyone understands it. A player like Spezza will get you points but he will cost you as many. A first line player constantly plays against the best players in the league for 20 minutes a night. You just can't have a player that doesn't make any defensive effort and that doesn't take defensive responsabiliies playing 20 minutes a night against the best players in the league. Spezza is fun to watch on some nights, but he is also the last player you want to watch on other nights.

Players need to play defense, this is a need if you want to win. Not only does Spezza rarely make any defensive effort, he makes extremely risky fancy plays that are costing to the team half the time. Drop passes, No look passes and a good player doesn't make plays like that when the game is on the line.

Spezza is not with the Sens anymore. If ever another 1C comes along I hope he's not the type of player Spezza is and hopefully a player that makes a conscious defensie effort to make the team better and not only care about the offensive side.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We're not missing something we just had at all. What we had and what we need a two different things. Spezza is a player that doesn't backcheck, doesn't make defensive effort in order to make the team better. I've said it before and it feels redundant but not everyone understands it. A player like Spezza will get you points but he will cost you as many. A first line player constantly plays against the best players in the league for 20 minutes a night. You just can't have a player that doesn't make any defensive effort and that doesn't take defensive responsabiliies playing 20 minutes a night against the best players in the league. Spezza is fun to watch on some nights, but he is also the last player you want to watch on other nights.

Players need to play defense, this is a need if you want to win. Not only does Spezza rarely make any defensive effort, he makes extremely risky fancy plays that are costing to the team half the time. Drop passes, No look passes and a good player doesn't make plays like that when the game is on the line.

Spezza is not with the Sens anymore. If ever another 1C comes along I hope he's not the type of player Spezza is and hopefully a player that makes a conscious defensie effort to make the team better and not only care about the offensive side.

Spezza had one truly terrible defensive year. I don't need to have another spezza debate but ever since he got in Ottawa he made an effort every year to improve his defence. And he did. He had one bad year last year. Where I admit. He was bad. But he hadn't played hockey for a long time. I watched Dallas just the other night. He was fine. They actually had a compilation of his and hemskys and seguins backchecks.(ruff gave the team crap I think and they were showing the star players leading by example or something cheesy like that" Enough with this "he doesn't back check bs" he does his part like he's always done.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
remember when everyone blamed our poor defensive play on spezza last year?

Its funny cause some fans here believe dallas is bad defensively cause of spezza aswell :laugh:

oh when will some of you learn

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013

Its funny cause some fans here believe dallas is bad defensively cause of spezza aswell :laugh:

I remember you making this same point on about three different occasions.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Seems like Spezza is really happy in dallas :

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/01/12/former-senators-captain-jason-spezza-at-peace-in-dallas

Spezza told GM Bryan Murray last April he had no intention of re-signing as a UFA on July 1, 2015 and it would be best to move on.

"The time was just right," Spezza said. "For the organization, for where they were headed, and for myself personally, looking for another chapter in my career and (it was) a chance to come to a new team and have a different role.

"The guys in the room knew where I was coming from. I don't think I shocked anybody that was close to me," said Spezza. "There's no real explanation other than when you're in a place for a long time and you don't win and you don't have success, it's best to part ways and try different ways.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Spezza is a -7, behind Seguin who is a + 3. To say that Spezza will not always be a defensive liability, would be bending the truth. This team is/was bad defensively not because of Spezza, but he certainly did not help any on the defensive side of the puck.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Spezza was 100% Not what was and is wrong with this team.

Really? Spezza and MacLean had pissing matches all last season. The team went from making the playoffs two seasons in a row, to pissing away a playoff spot because our Captain decided when and when not to play. Hemsky was a bandaid, who did F all, except score one pretty goal.

It seems to me that Spezza has killed more coaches for the Ottawa Senators than any other player. Dunno how many times I heard that he had trouble with the coach. Next it will be Lindy Ruff.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...ttawa-settles-into-background-noise-in-dallas

Don’t be fooled, however. Ruff insists he has high expectations for Spezza. As has been the case with every coach Spezza has had during his career, the Dallas boss is constantly working with the former Senators captain to improve his defensive game.

“He is the first to admit he has made big mistakes at times, and that’s the first step to recovery,” said Ruff. “Those are the mistakes you want to learn from, and I think he has. There are some defensive zone responsibilities that he’s a lot better at than he was two months ago.”

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Spezza is a -7, behind Seguin who is a + 3. To say that Spezza will not always be a defensive liability, would be bending the truth. This team is/was bad defensively not because of Spezza, but he certainly did not help any on the defensive side of the puck.

Spezza is avg defensively no one is really denying that. I think the point is how short sighted ppl were here and blaming all our defensive mistakes on him.

I remember a lot of posters using the stupid 'addition by subtraction' line

Will posters learn from that short sightedness? Probably not I am sure those same posters will go after karlsson soon enough

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Spezza is avg defensively no one is really denying that. I think the point is how short sighted ppl were here and blaming all our defensive mistakes on him.

I remember a lot of posters using the stupid 'addition by subtraction' line

Will posters learn from that short sightedness? Probably not I am sure those same posters will go after karlsson soon enough

There have been a lot of years where I defended Spezza. But he just refused to change. Maybe Lindy Ruff will finally get through to him.

Karlsson is still young, and rounding out his game. I will always defend him. There are fans on here already jumping all over him.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I was a fan of Spezza. I was not in favour of trading him unless the return was substantial. But I cannot say this team is noticeably worse without him. It was evident even when he was out injured before - when he was around everyone expected him to do everything, put the team on his back the way Alfie sometimes used to do, when he was gone everyone else's effort increased. I wish the guy all the success in the world in Dallas, just not in this game, this is a "must win" :P

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Spezza and the pizza line were quite something to behold. But they came up short. And when they played without alfie, they started to lose their dominance even more.

Heatley left, alfie retired, and then there was Spez. I remember last year thinking that it was going to be a really interesting summer to see what Murray does with Spezz. Sure he's a great offensive player, but he cant win a one on one battle unless he dekes someone. I was sure that Murray would do the hard choice and trade him.

Then conveniently Spezza says he could see the writing on the wall, he wouldnt be extended as the player we build around when his next contract comes up, so maybe moving him was best for everyone all around.

And i was like, woohoo, who care who broke up with who. Both could see the writing on the wall. I cant compare Spezza's departure to Heatleys in any way. Maybe its my desire to see the good side. I see Heatley as a traitor. But alfie retired. And Spez was a mutual agreed break up.

We arent going to replace Spezza's offence easily. Those players dont come around often. He became really good on face offs. And made the pp work often. But he was tragically flawed, and no one should know it better than Sens fans now. And like Heatley and alfie, he has also declined.

Been there, done that, we'll find another way. It'll take time.

It wasnt mutual. He was made captain. Murray approached him about an extension and Spezza said he was going to leave and test free agency rather then resign with the sens and wanted to be traded now. He did Murray a courtesy by telling he had no intention of resigning at least. Murray probably would have given spezza a 5-8 year contract. The similarity is obvious between heatley and Spezza. Both let it leak they wanted to be traded and both were seen as being part of the sens future by the organization but wanted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad