Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Stars Jan. 13 The Return Of Mr. Giggles Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think almost everyone agrees with this. But that doesn't mean he's been "brutal".

Definitely hasn't been brutal that being said i hope management is actively trying to find someone to fill that spot, even if we have to overpay a little.

Turris is a second liner on a contender so if were trying to contend we need to add an upgrade above him on the depth chart.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Isn't it funny that the season after we trade Spezza, we are looking to acquire some more scoring punch for our top six. Oh, and Kyle Turris is struggling somewhat to fill the role of a true #1 centre. Who would have guessed? :shakehead

But that's not exactly what the plans were.

We weren't going to follow the typical model of a dominant first line then a big dropoff to lines 2 and 3.

We are going for the Boston model (back when Boston was elite), where there wasn't much of a difference (or dropoff) between lines 1, 2 & 3. Scoring by committee. That means line #1 won't be a super-duper heavy scoring line.

Karlsson2Turris*

Turris has been brutal this season.

Turris 28P -7 19:34
Tyler Ennis 24 P -16 18:39
RNH 26P -5 21:15
Antoine Vermette 27P -11 19:08
Bozak 32P -4 19:05
Kesler 29P -3 19:46

vs

Getzlaf 45P +4 20:29
Toews 38P +15 19:36
Stamkos 40P -1 19:43

Turris is #1 centre on a team that isn't in the playoffs or a #2 centre on a strong team. TBH, we will never contend with Turris as the #1 centre.

Nobody expected him to be a Getzlaf/Stamkos/Toews...

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Find someone to fill #1 Center spot? Good luck with that!

Don't be too optimistic, now.

What do you suggest, then? Other than waiting around for 10 years to draft and develop one?

Overpaying to acquire an available C, when one does become open due to a contract dispute or general unhappiness (a la Ryan) is a perfectly viable option.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Nobody expected him to be a Getzlaf/Stamkos/Toews...

I don't think that is what the poster is saying.

The point is that we won't get anywhere without another #1 in the middle. No one should be naive enough to think Turris could pull off being the long term answer.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I don't think that is what the poster is saying.

The point is that we won't get anywhere without another #1 in the middle. No one should be naive enough to think Turris could pull off being the long term answer.

This. We need a centre who is BETTER than Turris, he can't be and is not the #1 centre on a playoff team. He needs to be the #2 guy (which he's perfect for).

I wonder what will happen 1st. We trade Turris for a great package or we find a #1 centre to play ahead of him?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Oh we need a number 1 center?

What was that everyone wanted to get rid of for the past couple years?

Oh yeah a number 1 center!!!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I think it is time to stop calling Spezza a #1 center as of now. He is certainly not playing like a number one center on Dallas right now.

Spezza is still a good player, but he is on the decline.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I love it when people come here and only tell half the story, it's great. Sometimes people believe what they want to believe but that's just the reality.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Oh ffs, people like me wanted a #1 center who could play both ends of the ice, and we knew that as long as #19 was on this team, it would never happen.

Now if management is unable or unwilling to replace him, that's a problem, but it's not what fans wanted.

So tired of hearing this argument over and over.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Oh ffs, people like me wanted a #1 center who could play both ends of the ice, and we knew that as long as #19 was on this team, it would never happen.

Now if management is unable or unwilling to replace him, that's a problem, but it's not what fans wanted.

Turris plays both ends of the ice quite well.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Now if management is unable or unwilling to replace him, that's a problem, but it's not what fHans wanted.

Couldn't agree more this is so annoying. People comparing Turris and Spezza as a 1C is also the new trend for non rational posters.

Edit: looking at the post above it is quite ironic!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Spezza and the pizza line were quite something to behold. But they came up short. And when they played without alfie, they started to lose their dominance even more.

Heatley left, alfie retired, and then there was Spez. I remember last year thinking that it was going to be a really interesting summer to see what Murray does with Spezz. Sure he's a great offensive player, but he cant win a one on one battle unless he dekes someone. I was sure that Murray would do the hard choice and trade him.

Then conveniently Spezza says he could see the writing on the wall, he wouldnt be extended as the player we build around when his next contract comes up, so maybe moving him was best for everyone all around.

And i was like, woohoo, who care who broke up with who. Both could see the writing on the wall. I cant compare Spezza's departure to Heatleys in any way. Maybe its my desire to see the good side. I see Heatley as a traitor. But alfie retired. And Spez was a mutual agreed break up.

We arent going to replace Spezza's offence easily. Those players dont come around often. He became really good on face offs. And made the pp work often. But he was tragically flawed, and no one should know it better than Sens fans now. And like Heatley and alfie, he has also declined.

Been there, done that, we'll find another way. It'll take time.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Turris plays both ends of the ice quite well.

It's like you just ignored the multiple replies to your first post I quoted.

Spezza was (I stress WAS) a #1C but couldn't be relied upon for a strong 200 foot game and was in decline. He also required a big contract extension (which he got in Dallas) and the team decided they didn't want to go with Spezza.

The result? Although Turris has been strong at both ends of the ice in the past few years, he is getting exposed at both ends (he hasn't been great defensively this year btw).

It's not the fans' fault management did nothing to replace the hole in the roster, while Zib is still young and inconsistent and Legwand has not been good. All this leads to a less the stellar performance this year overall at the centre position.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Definitely hasn't been brutal that being said i hope management is actively trying to find someone to fill that spot, even if we have to overpay a little.

Turris is a second liner on a contender so if were trying to contend we need to add an upgrade above him on the depth chart.
Don't reaaaaallly See how one can be acquired. Teams don't trade away first line centers. Or allow them to get to free agency

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
But that's not exactly what the plans were.

We weren't going to follow the typical model of a dominant first line then a big dropoff to lines 2 and 3.

We are going for the Boston model (back when Boston was elite), where there wasn't much of a difference (or dropoff) between lines 1, 2 & 3. Scoring by committee. That means line #1 won't be a super-duper heavy scoring line.

Boston also had an element that we don't. They used to scare other teams.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Don't be too optimistic, now.

What do you suggest, then? Other than waiting around for 10 years to draft and develop one?

Overpaying to acquire an available C, when one does become open due to a contract dispute or general unhappiness (a la Ryan) is a perfectly viable option.
Big difference between Ryan and a number 1 center. I think Turris might be the best pure second line center in the league. So I don't know how we would acquire a center better than him. Since I doubt any teams are looking to trade number 1 Cs on their depth charts.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Jim Nill says hello.

2 high profile centres in one year.

One of which we gave him and not many people here would have liked us to acquire. He is supposedly a center on the decline. So why even include him?

Seguin was a great peice of business but a very rare case. A case that I don't really see anywhere else in the NHL.

The only guy I see out there right now is ROR. He can definitely fill in and take pressure off Turris and zib. Do we want to deal with the apparent headache he brings? Probably not. I wonder what it would take to land jordan staal. Still young. Can come here and be second line center.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Not really trying to say it's the fans fault, I just find it funny that we are now missing something we just had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad