Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Nate Thompson (2 Years, $1.65M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kelly replacement, should be better than kelly.

I'm ok with this, but the price is a bit high imo.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
For those saying it's an overpayment for a 4th liner as the standard knee jerk reaction...
On a percentage basis, how would you roughly structure contracts?

ie. Your 1C being 15%, Goalies being 10%, etc.

Nate Thompson is 2% of the cap at that amount.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
4.15 between him and Burrows in year 2 is gross

I mean you really need to add a second year to sign a guy like that when your already being generous with the $ is head scratching

Surely you could find similar to sign for 1 year if Thompson declined

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Every single coach in the NHL would rather have Thompson than Connolly.

And what does Thompson bring to the Sens that every single one of our bottom 6 and AHL call-ups don't already bring?

I mean, you can only have so many scrappy, no offense, all effort players in your lineup. He's a redundant piece signed to an extremely overpaid deal.

I Mean, how the **** did Thompson get a raise after his past 2 seasons? LITERALLY UNREAL.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's just incompetence, pure and simple.

Been saying it for awhile now, wonder how long it will take for the rest of this board to wake up

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
And what does Thompson bring to the Sens that every single one of our bottom 6 and AHL call-ups don't already bring?

I mean, you can only have so many scrappy, no offense, all effort players in your lineup. He's a redundant piece signed to an extremely overpaid deal.

I Mean, how the **** did Thompson get a raise after his past 2 seasons? LITERALLY UNREAL.

AHL call ups are much more likely to make mistakes that cost the team goals. Thompson can be counted on to not **** up, even in a game 7 in overtime.

And extremely overpaid? He's getting 2% of the cap...

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Bad player and bad contract

AHL call ups are much more likely to make mistakes that cost the team goals. Thompson can be counted on to not **** up, even in a game 7 in overtime.

You have to actually make it there before you worry about people ****ing up in game 7 OT

Losing Methot and adding 4th liners does not make me confident that we will make it anywhere

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Called this last night. More expensive than I expected though.

Boucher is basically coach and GM at this point.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I thought he was a solid 4th liner?
$$$ is a bit high though

He is. People just assume he's bad because he's missed so many games in the last couple of years.

He's not far removed from his prime days with Tampa Bay. With a healthy off season, he should have better times ahead of him.

Thompson is well liked by Ducks fans. Most of us wanted him re-signed, but knew it wasn't likely to happen with Vermette regressing into a 4th line center role. If it was up to me, I would have traded Vermette and re-signed Thompson to a 2-year deal.

With his good playoff performance, I was expecting he would get 2 years/$1.5 mil per year on the open market. You didn't pay too much over that.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Inflation plus tax consequences since he is American. Once you factor in those two things he is netting the same/less than he did before.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Chris Kelly got a 1 year, 900K deal. That's what I would consider a fair deal for Thompson. Same position, same impact.

On a team so strapped for cap and cash, wasting 1.65 on a very redundant peiece is terrible.

Pyatt last year signed a 1 year 800K deal. Again, should have been his comparable.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
It's much better to have a Thompson type player as your 4th center, Thompson is very good on FO and can kill penalties, I like it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2 years. I'd be ok with 1 year even at 1.65 but 2 years ... thats Burrows at 2.5 and Thompson at 1.65. This year ok, but next year that 4 million would be handy to have

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Lol, this fan base is ridiculous.

For years people complained about our lack of depth, then everyone complains when we bring in players like Stalberg, Burrows and Thompson.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Lol, this fan base is ridiculous.

For years people complained about our lack of depth, then everyone complains when we bring in players like Stalberg, Burrows and Thompson.

Having bad players on bad unmovable contracts is exactly what lack of depth is.
Exhibit A: Ottawa Senators with Chris Kelly and Chris Neil 6 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad