Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Harpur to 2 year extension

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Cap Friendly says that Harpur is projected to be "waiver exempt" next year:

Ben Harpur Waivers Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Being "waiver exempt" has nothing to do with whether or not your contract is one-way or two-way. You are confusing real-life NHL processes with video game rules that simplify contracts within the game for easier gameplay.

The only thing a one-way contract means is that you get paid the same amount regardless of where you play (AHL or NHL). Being waiver exempt means you don't have to pass through waivers to be sent down to the minors.

Harpur will be waiver exempt on a one-way contract next season, which means we can send him down to the AHL without him having to pass through waivers first, and if we send him down we still have to pay him his $650k NHL salary.

Reactions: aragorn

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Being "waiver exempt" has nothing to do with whether or not your contract is one-way or two-way. You are confusing real-life NHL processes with video game rules that simplify contracts within the game for easier gameplay.

The only thing a one-way contract means is that you get paid the same amount regardless of where you play (AHL or NHL). Being waiver exempt means you don't have to pass through waivers to be sent down to the minors.

Harpur will be waiver exempt on a one-way contract next season, which means we can send him down to the AHL without him having to pass through waivers first, and if we send him down we still have to pay him his $650k NHL salary.

Sorry, used the wrong term, but instead of jumping down my throat why don't you read the link I sent you that states. Either way, trying to understand the waiver rules are quite difficult, but according to CapFriendly:

Estimated waivers required beginning: 2018-19 - that's next season.

Also, you got any examples of guys other than Andrew Hammond who Melnyk has paid NHL money to play in the minors?

Last edited:
Reactions: JungleBeat

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Our #1 dman when Karlsson is traded folks!

Honestly, as a fan, i would say chabot would be our #1 if that happens.

As a GM, i wouldn't put chabot into that spotlight though and would look for something else to not ruin chabot's development.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Honestly, as a fan, i would say chabot would be our #1 if that happens.

As a GM, i wouldn't put chabot into that spotlight though and would look for something else to not ruin chabot's development.
harpur-ceci will be playing 28 minutes a night no doubt

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Patience is required here. His play last year was no fluke. He can get there again but experience helps deal with the ebbs and flows of a 57 game career player. Sometimes I feel that people just aren't into developing players anymore, and just want the results. And yet people want a rebuild? :huh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Patience is required here. His play last year was no fluke. He can get there again but experience helps deal with the ebbs and flows of a 57 game career player. Sometimes I feel that people just aren't into developing players anymore, and just want the results. And yet people want a rebuild? :huh:

I agree that we need to have patience with Harpur. He's actually come a long way pretty fast imo and is hitting a bit of that sophomore wall this year. Im with Bonk (I think it was him) that Harpur needs to work on making quick crisp passes this offseason. If he can improve his first pass I think it would go a long way.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree that we need to have patience with Harpur. He's actually come a long way pretty fast imo and is hitting a bit of that sophomore wall this year. Im with Bonk (I think it was him) that Harpur needs to work on making quick crisp passes this offseason. If he can improve his first pass I think it would go a long way.
He also needs to improve his physical play, both checking in front of the net and open ice, plus pinning players against the boards.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Harpur has been pretty bad in my opinion. Glad he was a healthy scratch tonight. I don't think he's an NHL caliber player at all. Not even as a 6th or 7th d-man. Career AHLer. I have no idea why he was signed to an extension. He does everything way too slow. He's too much of a gentle giant given his size and lack of mobility. Feels like he's constantly out of position or on the verge of turning the puck over.

Reactions: Jorge Garcia

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Harpur has been pretty bad in my opinion. Glad he was a healthy scratch tonight. I don't think he's an NHL caliber player at all. Not even as a 6th or 7th d-man. Career AHLer. I have no idea why he was signed to an extension. He does everything way too slow. He's too much of a gentle giant given his size and lack of mobility. Feels like he's constantly out of position or on the verge of turning the puck over.

Another overhyped prospect? Dorion at it again.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
well A hes tall.

B Its just his first season too early to judge we need to have him get slaughtered in the top 4 while we are in win-now mode and then judge him after 600 games

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Good lord, Harper has been awful this year. He looks like Cowen out there, albeit not as stupid or slow. Harper has been by far our worst player this year.

He looks like the overwhelmed deer in the headlights that had to be taken out of the Ranger series, rather than the composed competent player that played in the Boston series.

Harpur just can't handle speed at all, maybe it's technique, as he isn't a slug.

This guy has some serious work to do if he wants to ever be an NHL regular. And being a defenseman which is very difficult to learn, he could improve.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Dude plays way too soft. For a guy his size he needs to be smashing people and making life miserable. Instead of playing like Adam Mcquaid, he plays like Adam Oates physically.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Normally resigning a young defender to a small contract,to see if he can develop isnt a worry...But we are the Sens,if he doesnt pan out EM will give away a 3rd to get his contract off the books....Sniff

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
One way contract for multiple years? ...seems like the player has more say than he should.
He probably asked for more....You seem to think players can just have contracts shoved down their throats....Its a low risk deal that kept a promising player in the fold ,i really dont get the issue

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
2 years at $650 for a big young d man who can skate, has some upside, and who has 58 games under his belt? Why are we talking about this again?

Haters gonna hate..... Every single time....
But he is terrible and can never improve...This board sometimes

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Another overhyped prospect? Dorion at it again.

That's just a dumb thing to say. Sorry if that offends you, but I see this comment way to often, and am directing it generally.

Every GM speaks positively about prospects in their system. GMs have hand in drafting them in the first place.

What would you expect a GM to say .... "that prospect from Sudbury I drafted two years ago is a POS"?

I think the over Hyping is done more by fans than anyone else, demanding they're the teams Savior and are languishing in the minors while the dumb GM won't call them up and force them into the line up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad