Post-Game Talk: Sens & Sharks - Oct 12th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When it's a close game, you have to keep your emotions in check.

When you're playing a team with a lethal PP, all the more so.

When you're playing a team with a lethal PP and it's tied late in the game, all the more so.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

When you're playing a team with a lethal PP and it's tied late in the game, all the more so.

Lehner was down right phenomenal last night.

He looks even better than he did last year. His puckhandling also seems to have improved as well as his rebound control and pose. He was stopping top shelf attempts like they were routine.

Man this guy could be something special...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Do you really think his little dustup with Hannan was helpful or that it "pumped up the team" in ANY way whatsoever?

Come on. He got upset and started to go after him in what can only be described as a somewhat selfish act given that time was running out and the team was down by a goal. It was entirely unnecessary to take that kind of pointless risk.

It wasn't the worst example of that last night, but it wasn't a helpful contribution.

You have have a very uninformed opinion, but it's normal though. If you've never been in a situation where these guys thrive, or never needed this type of aggression, it can seem alien, even scary. What you should probably do is take your cues from the players and coaching staff, and perhaps from the player himself, who has carved quite a unique niche for himself in the league. Talk to other fans and see what they say.

Neil has these altercations all the time, it's part of him exerting his will and character on the other team. He intimidates, fights, hits, and can play a little hockey. You can't put a tiger on the ice and expect him to be a ***** cat half the night. Be happy he picks and chooses his fight times, and hits on the line and not over.

Another problem here is that many posters comment on the rough and tumble aspect of the game with little personal understanding on how these situations work, what it takes to be that guy, and how it makes others feel. Unfortunately people like this tend to be the ones speaking loudest of what they know the least about.

The Hannan scuffle was only pointless to you, because you're sitting in your chair watching the game without applying any character on context to the situation. Unfortunately it's probably not something you'll be able to understand. It is however a byproduct of perceiving the players as little bots moving around on a screen, nothing more.

Personally, I love when the guys scuffle, push and shove, and try and exert themselves on the other team. Its an integral part of the entertainment package that is NHL hockey to me.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

This is a good point, being disciplined is super important, though much easier for some than others.... Speaking from experience ;)

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
94f6a999b07f4cc385648e8f730f8c6b_normal.jpeg

Says he hates captains on the basis of talent
Hates a captain due to lack talent

I didnt say Spezza does not have talent. He has all the talent in the world. He doesnt make good enough decisions yet to be an effective captain.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Lehner was down right phenomenal last night.

He looks even better than he did last year. His puckhandling also seems to have improved as well as his rebound control and pose. He was stopping top shelf attempts like they were routine.

Man this guy could be something special...

Yup. Lehner is a legit starter right meow and is only gonna keep getting better.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I didnt say Spezza does not have talent. He has all the talent in the world. He doesnt make good enough decisions yet to be an effective captain.

Alfredsson was also slipping in his last few years here...

There's going to be growing pains with a new captain, a bunch of 'rookies' who are now suppose to fill the roles of veterans like Gonchar - for all the **** Gonchar took for being lazy, he wasn't running around in our own zone like Cowen, Gryba and Weircioch have been so far this season. He was a rock. Wiercioch is good enough on the PP to replace him but I think Gonchar's calming influence defensively has been greatly underappreciated.

We're what? 1-1-2 on a roadtrip against some solid teams (outside of our win against Buffalo)? Hardly a disaster.

Our PK needs to improve, the group needs to get used to each other more. Things could be much worse.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
You have have a very uninformed opinion, but it's normal though. If you've never been in a situation where these guys thrive, or never needed this type of aggression, it can seem alien, even scary. What you should probably do is take your cues from the players and coaching staff, and perhaps from the player himself, who has carved quite a unique niche for himself in the league. Talk to other fans and see what they say.

Neil has these altercations all the time, it's part of him exerting his will and character on the other team. He intimidates, fights, hits, and can play a little hockey. You can't put a tiger on the ice and expect him to be a ***** cat half the night. Be happy he picks and chooses his fight times, and hits on the line and not over.

Another problem here is that many posters comment on the rough and tumble aspect of the game with little personal understanding on how these situations work, what it takes to be that guy, and how it makes others feel. Unfortunately people like this tend to be the ones speaking loudest of what they know the least about.

The Hannan scuffle was only pointless to you, because you're sitting in your chair watching the game without applying any character on context to the situation. Unfortunately it's probably not something you'll be able to understand. It is however a byproduct of perceiving the players as little bots moving around on a screen, nothing more.

Personally, I love when the guys scuffle, push and shove, and try and exert themselves on the other team. Its an integral part of the entertainment package that is NHL hockey to me.

This is probably the most bloviating and condescending post I've seen on HF so far. Congratulations.

If you truly believe that there is some intense calculation on Neil's part that many people apparently don't have the capacity to see, like he's some kind of pest savant, then I really shouldn't have tried to engage you on a rational level.

My mistake.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Would have been nice to walk out with a point. Captain Spezza better smarten up.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Although I've only read the last two pages, I like how everyone is all over Spezza but nothing on golden boy a karlsson. He only showed up for the last min of the game. He's obviously capable of playing at higher level but is clearly not putting the effort in. A few others need to do the same but Karlsson can still be a game changer injury or not and shows it on occasion. He need to be more consistent. I'm a big fan so it has been disappointing.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Although I've only read the last two pages, I like how everyone is all over Spezza but nothing on golden boy a karlsson.

I'm trying to reserve full judgment on Karlsson until after the team has had a few home games. But right now if he stays on this path, he en route to becoming an Xavier LaFlamme.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Although I've only read the last two pages, I like how everyone is all over Spezza but nothing on golden boy a karlsson. He only showed up for the last min of the game.
Plenty of criticism of Karlsson, but he unlike Spezza is not a captain, and his play is excused understandably.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Do you really think his little dustup with Hannan was helpful or that it "pumped up the team" in ANY way whatsoever?

No, that's almost as stupid as thinking it hurt the team like one person is suggesting...

Wanna talk about something that was helpful and clearly did pump up the team? His fight with Pelech. Are you really unwilling to admit that completely changed the game? You shouldn't be, it was obvious.

Neil did more for our team in the game against San Jose than about 15 other guys. To single him out or criticize him after that is ridiculous. That is why you are being called out by numerous posters.

Not because everyone has "an emotional love affair" with Neil. Because of all the players on the team to call out for that game, you literally picked the worst possible one. Call a spade a spade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad