Post-Game Talk: Sens & Sharks - Oct 12th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Again, I disagree that stupid = selfish, nor would I call either penalty "stupid"

Being selfish is a conscious action made to benefit yourself over others in a moment, in my mind. It's a pretty negative and personal insult, and personally I don't think it applies here at all.

Two players took undisciplined retaliatory penalties because they were angry in a moment. I understand where it comes from and can sympathize. Neither guy makes a habit of these types of penalties so it's much ado about nothing really. Bad timing, and a bad PK, isht happens in hockey.

Gotta try and be more disciplined for sure, but it's not one player, everyone has been a little loose so far. Nothing to panic about, and it's certainly nothing to pin on a single player.

Either you believe Conacher and Spezza were completely unaware that their actions had the potential to hurt their team or you fail to realize any decision made in a team sport that compromises what is best for the group is by definition selfish.

Retaliatory penalties are selfish, whether you or I can sympathize isn't the point.

What matters is that over the course of the first 4 games players have been undisciplined, committing infractions they may have felt were appropriate for themselves, but in reality may have cost the team potential victories.

IMO that is selfish.

MacLean is right in his assessment IMO, it either stops or the offenders must sit.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Conacher takes exception with Kennedy bugging Lehner and it's selfish. If we don't respond then everyone says we are too small and soft. Can't win on this forum ! Outside of the penalty parade we are playing fine against top notch completion if we can win at least one of the next two we will turn it around at home. To all the Neil haters out there he turned the game around! and showed real leadership taking on Pelech.

Conacher doesn't need to be involved.

Kennedy was not pushing Lehner around physically, so needed no assistance whatsoever.

As a matter of fact Lehner is better equipped to look after himself (and he did just that when Burns dropped in) than Conacher ever will be.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Kennedy was not pushing Lehner around physically, so needed no assistance whatsoever.

As a matter of fact Lehner is better equipped to look after himself (and he did just that when Burns dropped in) than Conacher ever will be.

Doesn't matter. To back up your goalie lets the other team know not to try it again next shift. Plus, teammates love a guy like that. Group gets closes nit together when they see one another backing them up as long as they don't do something too stupid to cost a blatant call.

It's exact reason why Kassian is dressed. He may not fight but he's there as a warning not to do anything stupid.

Ever since Miller was run over by Lucic and no one responded, Buffalo looked like a team that felt like strangers, fell off the map and seemed to never mesh from there on out.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Conacher 1 NHL fight
Lehner 0 NHL fights
;)

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Spezza has shown he doesn't have what it takes to be captain ... yet. I know its only been four games and that he has big skates to fill, but so far the guy has not done anything to show he can lead a team. The unnecessary turnovers, and the penalty late in the game yesterday are thing he has got to move on from if he ever hopes to be a good captain.

I don't like when teams hand out C's based on talent and/or seniority; and its pretty obvious that is why Spezza got the C.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Spezza has shown he doesn't have what it takes to be captain ... yet. I know its only been four games and that he has big skates to fill, but so far the guy has not done anything to show he can lead a team. The unnecessary turnovers, and the penalty late in the game yesterday are thing he has got to move on from if he ever hopes to be a good captain.

I don't like when teams hand out C's based on talent and/or seniority; and its pretty obvious that is why Spezza got the C.

Oh you're in the locker room are you? You know this first hand?

I assume that you must since it would be impossible for anyone to know otherwise.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Doesn't matter. To back up your goalie lets the other team know not to try it again next shift. Plus, teammates love a guy like that. Group gets closes nit together when they see one another backing them up as long as they don't do something too stupid to cost a blatant call.

It's exact reason why Kassian is dressed. He may not fight but he's there as a warning not to do anything stupid.

Ever since Miller was run over by Lucic and no one responded, Buffalo looked like a team that felt like strangers, fell off the map and seemed to never mesh from there on out.

Teammates and coaches don't love a guy taking needless penalties.

You really aren't serious comparing why Kassian is played and what Conacher's role on the team is, are you?

Once again, comparing what happen to Miller and Kennedy yapping at Lehner is way too much of a stretch.

Conacher is a pest attempting to draw penalties, he has to learn when to do this and when to ****.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

You really aren't serious comparing why Kassian is played and what Conacher's role on the team is, are you?

Once again, comparing what happen to Miller and Kennedy yapping at Lehner is way too much of a stretch.

Conacher is a pest attempting to draw penalties, he has to learn when to do this and when to ****.

True but for every penalty Conacher takes he usually draws double it. Also, his penalties usually are him getting under the skin of the other guys. Not like taking a tripping penalty 200 feet away from your own zone.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa

94f6a999b07f4cc385648e8f730f8c6b_normal.jpeg

Says he hates captains on the basis of talent
Hates a captain due to lack talent

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Conacher 1 NHL fight
Lehner 0 NHL fights
;)

Lehner 6' 5" 225 lbs
Kennedy 5' 11" 185 lbs
Conacher 5" 8" 180lbs

Of these three which player is most at risk? :laugh:

Conacher's one NHL fight vs Gallacher 5' 9" 180 lbs and as I recall Gallagher jumped Conacher!!!!

Kennedy was yapping and Lehner was on full ignore, why exactly did Conacher need to be stupid and engage?

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Pests by nature take stupid penalties and Conacher will take many of the stupid variety this year, but to single him out for an offsetting penalty last night is just a continuation of your Conacher dislike. This is a team game and I have seen several unneeded penalties taken by players on this team.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Lehner 6' 5" 225 lbs
Kennedy 5' 11" 185 lbs
Conacher 5" 8" 180lbs

Conacher's one NHL fight vs Gallacher 5' 9" 180 lbs and as I recall Gallagher jumped Conacher!!!!

Kennedy was yapping and Lehner was on full ignore, why exactly did Conacher need to be stupid and engage?

Neat game I say Kennedy would be most at risk !! Do I win a prize if I get it right ?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Lehner 6' 5" 225 lbs
Kennedy 5' 11" 185 lbs
Conacher 5" 8" 180lbs

Ya but Conacher DESTROYED Gally :sarcasm: Domi 2.0

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
True but for every penalty Conacher takes he usually draws double it. Also, his penalties usually are him getting under the skin of the other guys. Not like taking a tripping penalty 200 feet away from your own zone.

Not true, he isn't drawing penalties because he instigates in too many cases so the refs are ignoring what the opposing players do to him.

Conacher has skill, demonstrated on his play to beat the D and create a scoring opportunity last night. All the extra stuff just takes away fro his game and by in large the refs ignoring everything else.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Either you believe Conacher and Spezza were completely unaware that their actions had the potential to hurt their team or you fail to realize any decision made in a team sport that compromises what is best for the group is by definition selfish.

Retaliatory penalties are selfish, whether you or I can sympathize isn't the point.

What matters is that over the course of the first 4 games players have been undisciplined, committing infractions they may have felt were appropriate for themselves, but in reality may have cost the team potential victories.

IMO that is selfish.

MacLean is right in his assessment IMO, it either stops or the offenders must sit.

I agree with McLean, who is referring to the discipline of the team.

I disagree with your usage of selfish. They weren't consciously making a decision to put their own interests over those of the team, the were reacting without consideration in a moment. What you're not understanding is that the actions take play very quickly and the players don't have the benefit you do of watching the play before and after, spending time considering it, and then dubbing them selfish.

Undisciplined? Yes, they need to work on taming the instinctual violent responses.

Selfish? No because there was no selfish intent.

Anyways, we're discussing semantics and intent, not really much more to say.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Are you kidding me? Neil knows what he's doing. He's trying to let the ****ing team know that he is there to get em pumped up while they should just focus on the scoring.

He didn't save the game but he rattled a guy on their team while not taking a penalty as a bottom 6 guy while OUR top line guy got rattled and took costly penalty that resulted into GWG.

To bame Neil for something that is his job and didn't even harm the team while someone more important gets away with what he did is laughable. That was his point.

Have you been reading the threads today? Spezza is hardly "getting away with it"

I agree with the rest of you post though, well said.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Pests by nature take stupid penalties and Conacher will take many of the stupid variety this year, but to single him out for an offsetting penalty last night is just a continuation of your Conacher dislike. This is a team game and I have seen several unneeded penalties taken by players on this team.

I clearly said Spezza and Conacher took undisciplined penalties last nite, so that must mean I have a dislike for both players.

I've also seen Neil, Smith and others take needless, undisciplined penalties in the first three games.

Guess I must dislike those players as well.

To suggest the only reason I mentioned Conacher's penalty is because I don't like him is total nonsense.

To justify undisciplined play by equally undisciplined play is a losing proposition.

Conacher had no business engaging Kennedy, just like Spezza had no business punching Wingels.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Are you kidding me? Neil knows what he's doing. He's trying to let the ****ing team know that he is there to get em pumped up while they should just focus on the scoring.

He didn't save the game but he rattled a guy on their team while not taking a penalty as a bottom 6 guy while OUR top line guy got rattled and took costly penalty that resulted into GWG.

To bame Neil for something that is his job and didn't even harm the team while someone more important gets away with what he did is laughable. That was his point.

Do you really think his little dustup with Hannan was helpful or that it "pumped up the team" in ANY way whatsoever?

Come on. He got upset and started to go after him in what can only be described as a somewhat selfish act given that time was running out and the team was down by a goal. It was entirely unnecessary to take that kind of pointless risk.

It wasn't the worst example of that last night, but it wasn't a helpful contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad