Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Jacob Bernard-Docker (2 years, $805,000 AAV)

Razor Face

Feb 17, 2020
He’s been playing much better lately and has looked great beside Sanderson. There’s been a few times where he’s hesitated making a play with the puck in our zone and ended up coughing it up, but I’m sure that will get tightened up as he gets more comfortable. If anything it’s nice to see that he has the confidence to take an extra second and try to make a good play rather than throwing it up the boards.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Outside of Joseph he has been this years biggest and best surprise. Loving the way his game is evolving now that he is getting more comfortable and confident. He seems like a great partner for Sanderson. Sandy is obviously very comfortable with him. Could this be a Lindgren Fox situation? Where one guy is so talented that he is comfortable with a specific partner and it elevates that player and allows the star to play their best game?

Right handed shot D men that can play in the top 4 are few and far between. This west coast road trip will be a great test to see where JBD is at.
Did they play together in UND? I think JBD was there for Sanderson's first year, but don't recall if they ever were partners.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
JBD got a baby face but I noticed that he's one of the few players on this team that looks for a big hit

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Did they play together in UND? I think JBD was there for Sanderson's first year, but don't recall if they ever were partners.
JBD said in the past few days they played together "a bit" which in context he meant infrequently but they did play together

Don't remember where I read that

Reactions: Micklebot

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The JBD we are seeing now is the JBD that made him a stabilizer in WJC. If he can bring his quiet game more consistently, he is bottom pairing staple in Ottawa, who can safely play the same role up the line-up as needed (as he is doing with Sandy).

From a lacklustre training camp to his game at the moment, I have seen growth that comes with experience, so he will only get better the more he plays in the NHL. He needs to keep up his play though, with Chabot back in late January and Hamonic with an asinine NMC provided by the current manager-in-training at Gabriel's Pizza.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The JBD we are seeing now is the JBD that made him a stabilizer in WJC. If he can bring his quiet game more consistently, he is bottom pairing staple in Ottawa, who can safely play the same role up the line-up as needed (as he is doing with Sandy).

From a lacklustre training camp to his game at the moment, I have seen growth that comes with experience, so he will only get better the more he plays in the NHL. He needs to keep up his play though, with Chabot back in late January and Hamonic with an asinine NMC provided by the current manager-in-training at Gabriel's Pizza.
Hamonic is on a cheap contract and will be the 7D. There is no reason to worry about Hammer at all. He’s the perfect guy to come in and out of the lineup.

You don’t have awesome defenders as your 7D. You have vets with experience that are willing to be mentors and play when guys are injured.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Hamonic is on a cheap contract and will be the 7D. There is no reason to worry about Hammer at all. He’s the perfect guy to come in and out of the lineup.

You don’t have awesome defenders as your 7D. You have vets with experience that are willing to be mentors and play when guys are injured.

So if Ottawa has to go with 6 d-men after signing Pinto and Chabot returning, who comes out? Hammer cannot be moved and demoting JBD potentially means losing him on waivers.

Hamonic’s NMC is definitely an issue, not only because of his on-ice regression but because of cap space. The team may not be able to keep 7-Ds.

Don’t want to lose Brannstrom or JBD for nothing, sign me up anytime on a Kubalik trade but it may not be forthcoming (also due to his performance) anytime soon.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So if Ottawa has to go with 6 d-men after signing Pinto and Chabot returning, who comes out? Hammer cannot be moved and demoting JBD potentially means losing him on waivers.

Hamonic’s NMC is definitely an issue, not only because of his on-ice regression but because of cap space. The team may not be able to keep 7-Ds.

Don’t want to lose Brannstrom or JBD for nothing, sign me up anytime on a Kubalik trade but it may not be forthcoming (also due to his performance) anytime soon.
They would go 11-7. We need a 7D regardless.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I thought it was "cook-in-training"!

They would go 11-7. We need a 7D regardless.
Agreed. We do not need 3Fs on the so-called 4th line; 1 of the spots could be a D.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hamonic is a 0 on the +/- scale 22 games into the season

He's a bottom pairing guy that starts in our end more frequently than the other end

He's not the reason we've got 11 Ls

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Complete different player since getting waived.
Pairing him almost exclusively with Sanderson helps. Sanderson basically tilts the ice when he's out there; the combination of defensive plays and breakout rushes are something we haven't seen from a Sens defender in a long time.

Reactions: Icelevel

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Yeah, he actually looks like a good bottom pairing defender now. I think he's taken Hamonic's spot as the 3rd pairing right D when the D is healthy.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So important the top draft picks make it - like Boucher you see how having JBD even as a bottom pairing Dman stabilizes the Right side.

Reactions: h2

h2

Mar 26, 2002
So important the top draft picks make it - like Boucher you see how having JBD even as a bottom pairing Dman stabilizes the Right side.

I feel good about Boucher making it as a 4th line forward (if he stays healthy) with his toolset, I think the question is to what degree he maxes out on that 4th line. Is he a bad, average, or good 4th line forward?

I very much doubt he gets to the 3rd line, but possible if his development unexpectedly takes off.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Outside of Joseph he has been this years biggest and best surprise. Loving the way his game is evolving now that he is getting more comfortable and confident. He seems like a great partner for Sanderson. Sandy is obviously very comfortable with him. Could this be a Lindgren Fox situation? Where one guy is so talented that he is comfortable with a specific partner and it elevates that player and allows the star to play their best game?

Right handed shot D men that can play in the top 4 are few and far between. This west coast road trip will be a great test to see where JBD is at.
I will add Greig to the mix only because it seems many thought he wasn't ready.

His impact on the top 9 has been huge.

That said, a RD was our most pressing need and he evens out the pairs, which is massive.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I will add Greig to the mix only because it seems many thought he wasn't ready.

His impact on the top 9 has been huge.

That said, a RD was our most pressing need and he evens out the pairs, which is massive.
Yeah Greigs impact has been massive. It's just not as much as a pleasant surprise for me. Granted my expectations for JBD were very low.

Reactions: Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I feel good about Boucher making it as a 4th line forward (if he stays healthy) with his toolset, I think the question is to what degree he maxes out on that 4th line. Is he a bad, average, or good 4th line forward?

I very much doubt he gets to the 3rd line, but possible if his development unexpectedly takes off.
I just don't think he's ever going to be healthy long enough to play in this league. He hasn't developed at all as he hasn't played. No indication he ever will.

Reactions: h2

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah Greigs impact has been massive. It's just not as much as a pleasant surprise for me. Granted my expectations for JBD were very low.
His impact last night was massive. In the box for the 1st period goal. Negated a PP, Canes score 4 on 4.

I didn't see a replay of the 1st period Blueline collision at the game. Wasn't sure who was getting the penalty. Was it deserved?

The CTC has an annoying habit of not putting a replay up on the big screen if a call against is soft. I guess they don't want the booing.

Greig has been great. He needs to clean things up a bit though as he's taking too many penalties

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His impact last night was massive. In the box for the 1st period goal. Negated a PP, Canes score 4 on 4.

I didn't see a replay of the 1st period Blueline collision at the game. Wasn't sure who was getting the penalty. Was it deserved?

The CTC has an annoying habit of not putting a replay up on the big screen if a call against is soft. I guess they don't want the booing.

Greig has been great. He needs to clean things up a bit though as he's taking too many penalties
Comes with the territory if you want him to play like that. Atleast he showed up and competed. I don't like the penalties either but as I said he plays on the edge that's what makes him so effective.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Comes with the territory if you want him to play like that. Atleast he showed up and competed. I don't like the penalties either but as I said he plays on the edge that's what makes him so effective.
Ya, I get it.

Were you at the game? Did you see a replay of the collision that led to the penalty in the first? Was that a legit call?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Greig definitely likes to get under your skin and sometimes he crosses the line in doing that. I'll take it as long as it doesn't get out of hand and I think Greig manages that aspect as well. A plus as far as I'm concerned

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The collision at the blueline to me seemed like he just didn't see him until it was too late, I thought he was watching the play instead of where he was going, Pesce was moving along the blueline as Greig was skating straight down ice, and they met at the blue line, but Greig had the time to brace while pesce didn't.

I believe the league has a policy that rinks shouldn't show replays of controversial calls, though that doesn't always stop them.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The collision at the blueline to me seemed like he just didn't see him until it was too late, I thought he was watching the play instead of where he was going, Pesce was moving along the blueline as Greig was skating straight down ice, and they met at the blue line, but Greig had the time to brace while pesce didn't.

I believe the league has a policy that rinks shouldn't show replays of controversial calls, though that doesn't always stop them.
Ok. So was it controversial?

To me, we were winning that game right up to that point. Obviously it was 1-0. But we had the more dangerous chances. It was closer to 2 or 3 nothing than tied to that point.

Boom. Penalty. Tie game. Go to the locker room tied in a period you clearly won. One of the reasons we are not winning is we are not taking enough advantage of when we're winning the play but we seem to consistently get out scored when we're not winning the play.

They didn't show that collision on the big screen and all we saw was two guys go flying. I wasn't looking right at it.

That call changed that game imo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok. So was it controversial?

To me, we were winning that game right up to that point. Obviously it was 1-0. But we had the more dangerous chances. It was closer to 2 or 3 nothing than tied to that point.

Boom. Penalty. Tie game. Go to the locker room tied in a period you clearly won. One of the reasons we are not winning is we are not taking enough advantage of when we're winning the play but we seem to consistently get out scored when we're not winning the play.

They didn't show that collision on the big screen and all we saw was two guys go flying. I wasn't looking right at it.

That call changed that game imo
If you're asking me, I think it was incidental, but Greig looked like he finished his check so a bit of an accidentally on purpose look to it, I don't blame the refs for calling it.

I agree we kind of unravelled after that, though I'd argue to flaccid PPs early in the second were more detrimental, that play certainly started the ball rolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad