Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Batherson to 6 year extension; 4.975 AAV

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The mechanism that Mendes vs Garrioch use to get their info is very similar. They ask questions and/or are told info they ultimately share.

Who cares if PD uses Garrioch to float some stuff ? What do you want him to do ? Post it on his own Twitter account? He’s chosen an outlet that he trusts won’t spin the info he gets in the negative way many of the other journalists in Ottawa do.
Eh, you're entitled to your view on it, but it looks more like he probably wakes up to an email with whatever he's supposed to communicate and then in this instance tries to brag about it. I think he comes off as an unprofessional sports journalist with a big ego and subpar performance at his job. Would be great to have someone like Ian be seen as the ambassador for the Senators like Bruce is.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Eager to see some Watson after him getting hurt last year. Guy brought some Ruutu vibes. Little shit disturber.

I did not see Watson as a Ruutu "disturber" type of player. He was more a stabilizing influence on the 4th line and PK. Did not act in the policeman role much at all. Good 4th liner but there are better options if the $$$ is available.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's very good news regarding Batherson!

Do you know who else was in The Best Shape Of His Life™ at last season training camp???

Artem Anisimov!

He was scratched for the first game of the season and only played 2 of the first 6 games. For a player that needed a big bounce back season, it was certainly not a confidence vote... I like DJ but he's no Guy Boucher in terms of sports psychology (Guy Boucher has a master degree in sports psychology)

For a coach with a Master's degree in sports psychology, he failed at coaching hockey teams to get results. I like DJ better but there is "room for improvement" in DJ's assessment and use of his hockey roster players.

Reactions: aragorn and Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Eh, you're entitled to your view on it, but it looks more like he probably wakes up to an email with whatever he's supposed to communicate and then in this instance tries to brag about it. I think he comes off as an unprofessional sports journalist with a big ego and subpar performance at his job. Would be great to have someone like Ian be seen as the ambassador for the Senators like Bruce is.

If we remember that this all boils down to entertainment it seems to make more sense, at least to me anyways.

Hockey news ha always been what I consider a ‘man’s soap opera’ (not culturally sensitive I admit, but for expediency’s sake that is how I view myself enjoying it).

Most writers and bloggers and official media guys are passing on speculation and a few tidbits of second hand information, and crafting beautiful narratives around them for our entertainment. Happy, angry, it all works for interest. Ambivalence/indifference is the only death knell.

Bruce does his nice and easy consumption pieces, and folks like that while eating breakfast, or riding the bus. There is no in-depth thought required, nice and simple reads. He doesn’t get daily feeds from the team and he does speculate on the things he hears, but he is cautious about being overly critical towards the team. Being around the team and building, he will hear and know things that others won’t, and he definitely doesn’t share much of what he sees (personal things). No chance Dorion leaks contract or trade details to Bruce, as in zero (Onviously not zero, and my opinion based on what Bruce writes, and what Friedman had to say about our front office). We are current tighter than a nun’s bun.

Ian likes to write on issues, perceived or real, and there is a place for that as well, and it can spark a lot of discussion, but it is a very different animal. He can’t really be the spokesperson for the team because he has evolved to more of a critic of the team at times, and someone who wants to ask and write about niche concerns of the super fan. While enjoyable and relevant, that’s not the role of ‘team spokesperson’, and that’s ok.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If we remember that this all boils down to entertainment it seems to make more sense, at least to me anyways.

Hockey news ha always been what I consider a ‘man’s soap opera’ (not culturally sensitive I admit, but for expediency’s sake that is how I view myself enjoying it).

Most writers and bloggers and official media guys are passing on speculation and a few tidbits of second hand information, and crafting beautiful narratives around them for our entertainment. Happy, angry, it all works for interest. Ambivalence/indifference is the only death knell.

Bruce does his nice and easy consumption pieces, and folks like that while eating breakfast, or riding the bus. There is no in-depth thought required, nice and simple reads. He doesn’t get daily feeds from the team and he does speculate on the things he hears, but he is cautious about being overly critical towards the team. Being around the team and building, he will hear and know things that others won’t, and he definitely doesn’t share much of what he sees (personal things). No chance Dorion leaks contract or trade details to Bruce, as in zero (Onviously not zero, and my opinion based on what Bruce writes, and what Friedman had to say about our front office). We are current tighter than a nun’s bun.

Ian likes to write on issues, perceived or real, and there is a place for that as well, and it can spark a lot of discussion, but it is a very different animal. He can’t really be the spokesperson for the team because he has evolved to more of a critic of the team at times, and someone who wants to ask and write about niche concerns of the super fan. While enjoyable and relevant, that’s not the role of ‘team spokesperson’, and that’s ok.
It's not the role itself that I'm not a fan of, no argument there.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

You could be right … in the end and email or phone call aren’t much different.

Mendes probably wins the “who would you rather game” over most media personality debates in town… but it’s not his current path.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I hear you, he definitely has some qualities that can rub folks the wrong way… he’s almost a caricature of a real person at times.

You could be right … in the end and email or phone call aren’t much different.

Mendes probably wins the “who would you rather game” over most media personality debates in town… but it’s not his current path.
It is what it is, and I'm sure some like him and this is just my opinion, but I think it contributes to the bush league appearance the Senators have sometimes to have him as essentially the media ambassador of the Senators.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It is what it is, and I'm sure some like him and this is just my opinion, but I think it contributes to the bush league appearance the Senators have sometimes to have him as essentially the media ambassador of the Senators.

Ah well, every team has these types of reporters, and some are far more opinionated. Just one of dozens of jobs that surround each franchise.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ah well, every team has these types of reporters, and some are far more opinionated. Just one of dozens of jobs that surround each franchise.
They do, and there will always be someone doing it, just wish it was someone that gave the Senators a better, more professional look, IMO.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad