Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Rangers: The misadventures of the Hobbit and the Lorax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
It's gotten to the point where the 40 goal, $7.8 million superstar that's supposed to be carrying the team is getting the "it's ok Ricky, it was a good try" treatment.

The problem is that in all fairness to Nash he has never been the guy carrying a team. You simply can't count on him for that. He's not a legit leader and never has been. Anyone not wearing rose colored glasses knew that. God Bless Poor Rangers fans. Too many of us still falling in love with the big names that always let us down.

But really, what else is new?

The answer to that question is a genuinely pleasant surprise for once. The Rangers are counting on a 5'6" Norwegian who until very recently was a novelty item that many (including myself) had little confidence in. Mats Zuccarello is now the spark driving this teams creativity and offensive zone possession time.

Not Rick Nash, Brad Richards or even Marty St. Louis who is a truly elite player, imo.

When Zuccarello is on the ice good things actually happen in a way that's tangible and very easy to see. There is just no missing it. He seems to thrive under the pressure with an abundance of guts and elan that is totally enjoyable to watch.

Simply put, a player this team can actually count on. They should never take him off the ice.

Knock me over with a feather. I never saw it coming.

GraveyTrain9

Mar 13, 2008
New York
Nash has been playing hard ever since the Columbus game, hasn't always scored but his effort is not the problem.

The problem is we've seen this before... Even the last time they played CBJ at home, Nash got all fired up and his play died out again 5-6 games later. Besides, he should be playing with that intensity/effort all year long, rather than needing to play his former team to get amped up -- since ya know, his paychecks come all season long.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Your rants are so tired and old..You barely make sense and its non stop...Show me one person in this thread that said they wanted goons? What people are discussing and wanting are players over 5ft 6 who can play the game and get nasty if needed not one person is calling for John Scott

Yeah, and it only took what, 5 seasons of fawning over goons for it to finally stop?

Also, incase you haven't noticed everyone on the roster is over 5'6". In fact the average size and weight of this team is almost equal to Boston. It's not the size it's the game you play, and the Rangers don't play that game, for better or worse.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They are dominating... for the most part.

70 shots is a ridiculous total. They didn't capitalize. It happens.
I do not see a dominating team. For last 3 games, I do see a team that is having trouble with pressure in their own end. And there are A LOT of shots from the outside.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, and it only took what, 5 seasons of fawning over goons for it to finally stop?

Also, incase you haven't noticed everyone on the roster is over 5'6". In fact the average size and weight of this team is almost equal to Boston. It's not the size it's the game you play, and the Rangers don't play that game, for better or worse.
The "fawning" over goons as you call it has been echoed by only one or two posters.

As for the type of game, it is one thing not to play a physical brand. That is not what AV's teams do. It is quite another to let it be known that there is ZERO chance of getting back. Neil is going to do what he is going to do no matter what. But I do feel that other teams feel emboldened when the play the Rangers. For better or for worse.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This business between Neil and Staal was not a big deal. Neil really crunched him. So what? It's hockey. It's what Neil does. Staal went awkwardly into the boards--could have been an injury for sure but it was a body check--albeit a little late IMO (though not really dirty)--the reason why I think he should have had a penalty. Zucc came along to defend his guy. Another so what. Staal taking a couple punches to his head is another so what. Some people seem to think some pushing and shoving these days is a fight or a major event. Neil is not really a thug. He skates well and puts up points here and there. He hits like a truck. He fights well. He could be a useful player for almost NHL team. His biggest detriment is he's getting older.

Rangers don't defend themselves very well. This is nothing new. Ways to defend--are push back physically or kill them with your pwp--both areas that this team lacks a bit. It's not the fault of other teams that can and do. The Bruins are built better. It's not all about physical play with them. It's not all about talent. They've built a team that covers pretty much all the bases from goaltending, to defending, to scoring, to playing physical. It's what it is and is not going to change at least until next year. The Rangers have the horses they're going to have to ride in the playoffs. They have some weaknesses like other teams. We'll see how they do.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rangers don't defend themselves very well. This is nothing new. Ways to defend--are push back physically or kill them with your pwp--both areas that this team lacks a bit. It's not the fault of other teams that can and do. The Bruins are built better. It's not all about physical play with them. It's not all about talent. They've built a team that covers pretty much all the bases from goaltending, to defending, to scoring, to playing physical. It's what it is and is not going to change at least until next year. The Rangers have the horses they're going to have to ride in the playoffs. They have some weaknesses like other teams. We'll see how they do.
Well said, eco. It all goes back to how a team is constructed. I have never hid the fact that I feel that the Rangers are a poorly constructed team.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm holding out hope that this is the year that Hank goes full god mode for the playoffs. No off games and just carries us all the way.

I look at it this way: so far he's basically been the number one elite goalie in the regular season for his career. Now we're seeing him have a somewhat down year (for him). I'm hoping that the year he is weak during the regular season is the year he goes into god mode in the playoffs. I can see it happening too because it's not like he's been struggling all season, he's been getting better and better since January. So I'm hoping it all leads to him turning into Hasek in the playoffs.

if he, along with Nash continuing his play since the columbus game, + MSL actually netting a few, some damage can be dealt...

as long as that 4th line stays together and McD is back in for the first playoff game... luckily that is 2 more weeks away. plenty of time to rest

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
This business between Neil and Staal was not a big deal. Neil really crunched him. So what? It's hockey. It's what Neil does. Staal went awkwardly into the boards--could have been an injury for sure but it was a body check--albeit a little late IMO (though not really dirty)--the reason why I think he should have had a penalty. Zucc came along to defend his guy. Another so what. Staal taking a couple punches to his head is another so what. Some people seem to think some pushing and shoving these days is a fight or a major event. Neil is not really a thug. He skates well and puts up points here and there. He hits like a truck. He fights well. He could be a useful player for almost NHL team. His biggest detriment is he's getting older.

Very well said.

Teams like the Kings, Blues, Ducks and Bruins decided years ago that a more balanced team was what they would build long term. The Rangers have never had a serious long term strategy and likely never will.

Consequently those four teams can play the game pretty much any way they need to from game to game.

I'll say it for like the 50 zillionth time. I really don't think most us here want a team filled with goons reenacting Slap Shot every night.Most of us would like a team with a better blend of size, skill and snarl that can handle the grind of the playoffs better.

Bardof425*

Well said, eco. It all goes back to how a team is constructed. I have never hid the fact that I feel that the Rangers are a poorly constructed team.

He's not agreeing with you, btw. but it's nice to see that you will see what you want to see.

Bardof425*

Very well said.

Teams like the Kings, Blues, Ducks and Bruins decided years ago that a more balanced team was what they would build long term. The Rangers have never had a serious long term strategy and likely never will.

Consequently those four teams can play the game pretty much any way they need to from game to game.

I'll say it for like the 50 zillionth time. I really don't think most us here want a team filled with goons reenacting Slap Shot every night.Most of us would like a team with a better blend of size, skill and snarl that can handle the grind of the playoffs better.

Have the Rangers been using their top picks are smallish players lately? You have to go back to Del Zotto to find any top pick (last year we took whatever we could get) that didn't have size: And MDZ does not play small.

Skjei
Miller
McIlrath
Kreider

Which one of these players is not a physical player with some size? I think it's easy to say that there is no plan; there's a plan. It hasn't been realized yet.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Have the Rangers been using their top picks are smallish players lately? You have to go back to Del Zotto to find any top pick (last year we took whatever we could get) that didn't have size: And MDZ does not play small.

Skjei
Miller
McIlrath
Kreider

Which one of these players is not a physical player with some size? I think it's easy to say that there is no plan; there's a plan. It hasn't been realized yet.

DZ plays to his size. He's not a big hitter. When he's playing his best--he's aggressive in his own zone and not running around. He makes contact but playing on Tortorella's team it was more about applying pressure on the puck carrier. Basically he plateaued as a hockey player in 11-12. Took a small step down last year and a large step down this year. He'll be a contract issue for his new team this summer. How to justify qualifying him for $3 mil per--let alone if he asks for more. The Rangers IMO are well rid of that problem. Seriously doubt he's going to get his game back to where it was in 11-12--let alone take the next step to where he becomes a serious offensive top pairing defenseman.

Other than that I agree the Rangers are drafting bigger at least their 1st rounders.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's not agreeing with you, btw. but it's nice to see that you will see what you want to see.
I know what he said. And I have commented that it is a good post. I am not speaking for eco, but he stated that the teams are constructed the way they are constructed. He said the Bruins are built better. He and I did not debate how the Rangers are constructed.

Take that for what you want. My view is that the Rangers are a poorly constructed team.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know what he said. And I have commented that it is a good post. I am not speaking for eco, but he stated that the teams are constructed the way they are constructed. He said the Bruins are built better. He and I did not debate how the Rangers are constructed.

Take that for what you want. My view is that the Rangers are a poorly constructed team.

The Presidents' Trophy favorite Bruins are built better? Stop the press! :laugh:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

Skjei
Miller
McIlrath
Kreider

That's a great point you make, I'll grant you. But it's just four players and we badly need more. As with just about anything it comes down to the timing, implementation and execution. As we move into this years playoffs none of those players are in the line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad