Pre-Game Talk: SENS @ Oilers, tonight, 9PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Oddly, in a world where everyone is so busy feeling sorry for Prince and Princess’s, Presidents are victims, millionaire NHL owners go on Parliament Hill to air their grievances of how hard done by they are - it’s nice to have a group of players that isn’t doing great but no one feels sorry for.

Reactions: aragorn

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Three thoughts for tonight:
1. I feel like I've got a bit of PTSD from that last game I can't imagine how the players feel.
2. I hope Daccord starts
3. No more injuries please
4. Go Sens Go

Do we know who the starter is yet?

Not to relitigate Wednesday's debacle of a performance, but I actually thought Murray played OK despite the score. Edmonton literally could have won by double digits if not for some great saves by him.

That being said, one of the reasons I think Daccord is a better fit in nets for our tirefire of a blue line is that I feel like he is much better at making saves with no rebounds and stopping play. I have zero statistical evidence to back that up but just going on the eye test, he has a better glove hand than Murray and I am impressed at his ability to smother pucks that hit his chest or body. Murray makes a lot of great saves but I feel as though he gives up rebounds and then the Sens are pathetically feeble at breaking out of their own zone. Edmonton was able to get fourth and fifth chances off of failed clearing attempts and would eventually score.

It's not Murray's fault that the players in front of him play defense like headless chickens, but I feel like Daccord's rebound control and even puck handling were a big factor in why we looked better in the previous game.

Of course I am sure there are stats to disprove my theory, haha.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Do we know who the starter is yet?

Not to relitigate Wednesday's debacle of a performance, but I actually thought Murray played OK despite the score. Edmonton literally could have won by double digits if not for some great saves by him.

That being said, one of the reasons I think Daccord is a better fit in nets for our tirefire of a blue line is that I feel like he is much better at making saves with no rebounds and stopping play. I have zero statistical evidence to back that up but just going on the eye test, he has a better glove hand than Murray and I am impressed at his ability to smother pucks that hit his chest or body. Murray makes a lot of great saves but I feel as though he gives up rebounds and then the Sens are pathetically feeble at breaking out of their own zone. Edmonton was able to get fourth and fifth chances off of failed clearing attempts and would eventually score.

It's not Murray's fault that the players in front of him play defense like headless chickens, but I feel like Daccord's rebound control and even puck handling were a big factor in why we looked better in the previous game.

Of course I am sure there are stats to disprove my theory, haha.

The way I described it to my buddy is Murray is an okay/good goaltender going from a good team to a bad team, Daccord is an okay/good/young goaltender going from a bad team to a bad team.

Daccord got lit up regularly on those early Arizona teams, he knows positioning with poor defensive coverage in front of him and I find I notice him overcompensating for it at times leaving himself open to cross seam passing plays. With Murray there are plays where he relies on defensive coverage that simply isn't there or looks like the puck goes right through him because they are the kind of high quality shots he hasn't had to face often before coming to Ottawa.

I still have hope Murray can be great again with a good defence in front of him, with Daccord I mean he's never backstopped a really good team and could be an absolute gem.

Sorry for derailing the PGT. All that to say I want to keep seeing Daccord get reps as I think he could be really good down the line.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

me too!!!

What?!?! I thought it was Ben Bishop getting the start tonight!

InconsequentialLegitimateInexpectatumpleco-small.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
3-1 Ottawa

Tkachuk - Norris - C. Brown
Paul - Stutzle - Batherson
Peca - Tierny - Dadonov
Haley - Anisimov - Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad