Post-Game Talk: Sens [no spoilers in titles plz] SJ

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Good game, but our offense needs more teeth. We desperately need shooting options outside of Norris and maaaybe Batherson. We took guys like Hoffman for granted.

Stüperstar was great.

I actually don't mind our defensive zone play; we don't seem to have the "chicken with head cutoff" style anymore, so I'll praise the coaching staff for that.

Josh Brown actually is terrible. I am getting slight Cowen vibes from him with the puck around him.

Please, don't insult Cowen.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Lots of injuries shows the poor depth this team has.

roster needs some help cant expect the kids to do it all on their own. Norris started slow last year but he’s also been meh this year, doesnt do much 5 on 5

I dont see him as a 1C

The player I would compare Norris to is Brendan Morrison. Not a true number one, but a very good player.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The player I would compare Norris to is Brendan Morrison. Not a true number one, but a very good player.
Morrison was more of a puck distributor, I don't think Norris' vision is as good. Norris has a better shot though.

But yeah I'll be happy if he develops as an average #2 centre. I just don't see a higher ceiling than that.

Reactions: Cosmix and Alex1234

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, so far we are definitely competing for wins.

I thought Sanford, Brown, Tierney, MDZ all had pretty good games for being the Lightening rods.

I thought Pinto made a rookie mistake by not finishing his shift, pain or no pain. No one talked him into playing, he obviously convinced the trainer he was good to try, and there is no way DJ would put him in a tie game if he was that questionable.

Not harping on the kid, and he won’t get any flak, but it was a rookie learning experience. If you tell the trainer you’re good, and you want to get back in the game, then you have to finish your shift. You have to at the very least get into position.

Unfortunate play but the kid will learn, and we’re once again in a good year for these kinds of lessons.

Bran would not have helped win as he would have been destroyed by the heavy checking in this game. He’s not ready in the slightest to be the saviour, unless he can sit on the bench all game until we have a PP.

Brady is going to take some time to get his timing. You could see that he was focused on getting his game going instead of being a wrecking ball. It’s as the tales go with players who miss camp. Still, he got a solid assist making EK the blunder boy, and was more dedicated to his defensive game than in previous years which was good to see.

Murray looked good. His positioning was sound, so that even dealing with what must have been some jitters he was always in the right spot. Some real solid multi save moments for him.

Love Ennis. Just always moving and always in the mix. It as good to see him pissing guys off and still going and going.

The Ex Sens guys were ok, some decent play here and there. EK was nothing to write home about, and it was definitely not a ‘one of the best players on the planet’ performances. Brent Burns was far more effective. EK helped with a goal for each team.

Jimmy had some serious moments in this game. As soon as he finds a way to bury one of these glorious sequences it will be awesome. Jimmy also needs to acquire a one timer. So many times he has an open net to shoot, but corals the pass for a wrister into the crest once the goalie has time to recover. Gotta hammer that right away Norris (Ovie if I’m being greedy) style. Heck even McDavid has decided to add a one timer to his skill set.

Brown and Paul are pretty epic as middle 6 guys. Just relentless and focused on puck retrieval, cycling and playmaking. Paul has some pretty sweet moves.

Props for Zaitsev for blocking shots and being fearless in that regard. He was always more of a stick guy than a hitter, and they have neutralized that this year (somewhat) so that hurts his game. Him and Watson are shot blockers.

Holden was steady.

The team still has some holes, and we have some guys in the pipeline to fill them. Sanderson obviously, and Kleven to have our own mean SOB on the back end that can play. So far we don’t have a guy that has shown to have a knack for scoring in bunches, but maybe Jarventie (or Sokolov) is that guy.

Personally I hope that we don’t make a panic move to patch this injury situation. Stay the course. If we can push forward on a move for a piece that has mid to long term implications for us, that we have been holding back a bit for, fine. But this is another season where we can ride this out, let other guys try and step up, and take the consolation prize of whatever pick we get if things fall off.

Pierre says competing for wins is the goal this year, not making the playoffs, so don’t be a 60 second guy and miss the marathon.

Last edited:

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
i can at least see brannstrom as a help on offensive zone entry which is horrible imo. way too much dump and chase / turnovers there. overall puck needs to be moved way better in the o-zone.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I still don't like the Coach's Challenge for those tight offsides. The other night it hurt when it burned us but tonight it helped us out and I cheered but it still just felt like a lucky break

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
To help alleviate offensive pressure on Chabot it is.

No one can generate any offense on the backend besides him.

Last night's game was pretty easy ice time for Chabot. We weren't hemmed a lot so a lot less board work in our end. At one point on one of those 3 minute shifts he stood still for probably 25 seconds.

I agree we need more offence from the defence, but not because the alternatives lead to less ice time for Chabot

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I still don't like the Coach's Challenge for those tight offsides. The other night it hurt when it burned us but tonight it helped us out and I cheered but it still just felt like a lucky break

Last night's was a clear offside and alters the play. Cogliano is several feet offside and going full tilt. The Batherson play the other night was a millisecond on a solo play.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I liked Paul at center following Pinto's departure and think a line of Stutzle - Paul - Brown has serious potential.

Reactions: OD99

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Murray was shaky. Poor rebound control. Fought the puck most of the night.
Missed Pinot when he went out.
Play Branstrom. Play him

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
DJ is going to have to play with his lines to get some scoring and depth in the lineup.

I think he should try

Formenton Norris Batherson .. it was good in preseason
Tkachuk Tierney Stutzle
Kelly Paul Brown
Sanford Shaw Ennis

Maybe it is the right time to try Stutzle at center?

Tkachuk-Norris-XXX ( Ennis-Brown)
Formenton-Stutzle-Batherson
Paul-Tierney-Brown ( or Ennis)
4th line

Or switch Paul and put him at center

Tkachuk-Norris-Formenton
Sturzle-Paul-Batherson ( I want skill for Stut !! )
Ennis-Tierney-Brown

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
San Jose pretty much abandoned covering the points because Chabot was the only dangerous option there.

From Josh Brown letting the puck roll out of the zone to Holden consistently missing the net, the strategy worked because for all of the effort Ottawa’s forwards would put in to turn the puck over and funnel it to the points, the play would inevitably die.

Zub is decent at keeping the puck moving but not much of a shooting threat.

San Jose played a solid road game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
San Jose pretty much abandoned covering the points because Chabot was the only dangerous option there.

From Josh Brown letting the puck roll out of the zone to Holden consistently missing the net, the strategy worked because for all of the effort Ottawa’s forwards would put in to turn the puck over and funnel it to the points, the play would inevitably die.

Zub is decent at keeping the puck moving but not much of a shooting threat.

San Jose played a solid road game.

They were quick on the forcheck and disrupted our exits pretty well too. I feel like this has been an issue for a decade, but when you only have one D pair that can consistently get the puck up the ice with speed it makes it really easy for the opposition to plan against.

Mete was bad and probably deserved to be scratched a game, but at least he can skate the puck up ice and get the breakout moving. Brannstrom deserves a shot and both gets the puck up ice, and is a threat with his shot from the point (he's really adept at getting those wristers through traffic).

I wouldn't say any of the D this game were terrible, they defended alright, and while I agree none of them were threats from the point which made it easier to collapse down low, they weren't on an individual level killing plays, but man, we need to change the mix.

This is what I'd like to see:

Chabot-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden
MDZ/Mete-Zaitsev

Bottom 4 is really interchangable in regards to numbering, put in MDZ if you want a little more defensive oriented 3rd pairing, and Mete if you're looking for a touch more puck movement.

Reactions: NyQuil

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Ottawa’s outplayed their opponent in 3/4 of the games so far - obviously the Saturday game vs the Leafs was the exception.

Completely agree that Stützle was the best player on the ice. He looks way better than last season.

Attendance is an issue
I was at the game last night and it was a very, very young crowd. COVID is definitely having an affect as those in their 50s and beyond aren’t attending yet. Things should improve over time but definitely a concern.

Last edited:

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Wow, Karlsson is just a shadow of himself. They cut 10 minutes off of his nightly play now. Pretty smart, maybe the SENS should have considered that when he was a -24 every night here!!!!!!

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
All these minutes its hampering Chabot offensive production
Only one assist in 4 games
He's way better then that but plays too much
We need another offensive threat in the back end

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This team is going to be a nightmare to play against when they start to finish regularly. Holy cow...they're so aggressive.

So is sj actually. I was surprised how big and aggressive they were too.

Reactions: DrEasy

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
This team is going to be a nightmare to play against when they start to finish regularly. Holy cow...they're so aggressive.

So is sj actually. I was surprised how big and aggressive they were too.
SJ looks good, if they can keep it up they will be respectable.

Two games in a row -- Dallas & SJ -- I feel like we've seen how big and strong and physical the NHL is, and it's caused some of our younger players to be less effective. Specifically, I've barely noticed either Norris or Formenton.

I think last years Canadian division was a little soft.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
SJ looks good, if they can keep it up they will be respectable.

Two games in a row -- Dallas & SJ -- I feel like we've seen how big and strong and physical the NHL is, and it's caused some of our younger players to be less effective. Specifically, I've barely noticed either Norris or Formenton.

I think last years Canadian division was a little soft.

It's good for the maturation process of young players to see how big teams play against you.

So much less time and space. I'm sure it'll help both in the long run.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Murray was shaky. Poor rebound control. Fought the puck most of the night.
Missed Pinot when he went out.
Play Branstrom. Play him
What are you talking about? Murray was solid and well positioned. I didn’t see him fought the puck or give rebound?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Murray just has his usual glove hand issues is all. If we can minimize those...

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Stutzle - Paul - C. Brown this morning at practice. No Pinto . Mete pair with Zaitzev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad