Post-Game Talk: Sens [no spoilers in titles plz] SJ

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Stutzle-Norris-Batherson was our most dynamic line, I don't think we had to break them up. It was working.

All the lines were flat yesterday aside from individual performances

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was really frustrated when Ottawa was on the PP, Sanford got hit from behind and drew a penalty, and then Tierney retaliated and evened it up. It would of been almost a full 5-3 for 2 minutes. I get standing up for your teammates but that was not the time.

I have seen other teams do far more than what Tierney did and not a penalty. Two forearm hits by Burns were not called, one hammering Connor Brown's head into the boards. I think the refs saw them but chose not to call them.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I have seen other teams do far more than what Tierney did and not a penalty. Two forearm hits by Burns were not called, one hammering Connor Brown's head into the boards. I think the refs saw them but chose not to call them.
To be honest I don’t remember seeing a replay of what Tierney did on that play. I just know that if your about to get a 5-3 for almost a full two minutes, make sure you don’t retaliate. The refs are looking for any excuse to even it up.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
DJ is going to have to play with his lines to get some scoring and depth in the lineup.

I think he should try

Formenton Norris Batherson .. it was good in preseason
Tkachuk Tierney Stutzle
Kelly Paul Brown
Sanford Shaw Ennis

I don't think DJ can work such miracles with what he has on the roster.

It's Dorion that needs to do some work to acquire the offensive players this team needs, since he is the architect of the current roster.

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To be honest I don’t remember seeing a replay of what Tierney did on that play. I just know that if your about to get a 5-3 for almost a full two minutes, make sure you don’t retaliate. The refs are looking for any excuse to even it up.

I don't think the refs are looking to even it up at all. However I do think they don't call all the crap that happens.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
ayyy we won the faceoff battle!

The team did well to limit SJ's shots to 24, while getting 31 too. However with 31 shots and a 10% effectiveness rate, the team should have scored 3 goals on average.
So how long until we put Stutzle and Forms in between Pinto on the second line? Is DJ gonna wait 3 more pointless games from Paul and Brown until he finally does what makes sense?

I don't mind putting Pinto between Stutzle and Formenton. Another option would be Tierney between Stutzle and Formenton but that would not be optimal. We need another offensive center. Perhaps we should try Stutzle at C with Formenton and Ennis at wing.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well, so far we are definitely competing for wins.

I thought Sanford, Brown, Tierney, MDZ all had pretty good games for being the Lightening rods.

I thought Pinto made a rookie mistake by not finishing his shift, pain or no pain. No one talked him into playing, he obviously convinced the trainer he was good to try, and there is no way DJ would put him in a tie game if he was that questionable.

Not harping on the kid, and he won’t get any flak, but it was a rookie learning experience. If you tell the trainer you’re good, and you want to get back in the game, then you have to finish your shift. You have to at the very least get into position.

Unfortunate play but the kid will learn, and we’re once again in a good year for these kinds of lessons.

Bran would not have helped win as he would have been destroyed by the heavy checking in this game. He’s not ready in the slightest to be the saviour, unless he can sit on the bench all game until we have a PP.

Brady is going to take some time to get his timing. You could see that he was focused on getting his game going instead of being a wrecking ball. It’s as the tales go with players who miss camp. Still, he got a solid assist making EK the blunder boy, and was more dedicated to his defensive game than in previous years which was good to see.

Murray looked good. His positioning was sound, so that even dealing with what must have been some jitters he was always in the right spot. Some real solid multi save moments for him.

Love Ennis. Just always moving and always in the mix. It as good to see him pissing guys off and still going and going.

The Ex Sens guys were ok, some decent play here and there. EK was nothing to write home about, and it was definitely not a ‘one of the best players on the planet’ performances. Brent Burns was far more effective. EK helped with a goal for each team.

Jimmy had some serious moments in this game. As soon as he finds a way to bury one of these glorious sequences it will be awesome. Jimmy also needs to acquire a one timer. So many times he has an open net to shoot, but corals the pass for a wrister into the crest once the goalie has time to recover. Gotta hammer that right away Norris (Ovie if I’m being greedy) style. Heck even McDavid has decided to add a one timer to his skill set.

Brown and Paul are pretty epic as middle 6 guys. Just relentless and focused on puck retrieval, cycling and playmaking. Paul has some pretty sweet moves.

Props for Zaitsev for blocking shots and being fearless in that regard. He was always more of a stick guy than a hitter, and they have neutralized that this year (somewhat) so that hurts his game. Him and Watson are shot blockers.

Holden was steady.

The team still has some holes, and we have some guys in the pipeline to fill them. Sanderson obviously, and Kleven to have our own mean SOB on the back end that can play. So far we don’t have a guy that has shown to have a knack for scoring in bunches, but maybe Jarventie (or Sokolov) is that guy.

Personally I hope that we don’t make a panic move to patch this injury situation. Stay the course. If we can push forward on a move for a piece that has mid to long term implications for us, that we have been holding back a bit for, fine. But this is another season where we can ride this out, let other guys try and step up, and take the consolation prize of whatever pick we get if things fall off.

Pierre says competing for wins is the goal this year, not making the playoffs, so don’t be a 60 second guy and miss the marathon.

In general I agree with much of what you said. Pinto probably should have stopped playing after he got injured; however, I think he took a slash to his injured wrist which caused him to stop playing after he had returned to play. The slash was not called.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In general I agree with much of what you said. Pinto probably should have stopped playing after he got injured; however, I think he took a slash to his injured wrist which caused him to stop playing after he had returned to play. The slash was not called.

The slash was lame, but DJ did mention in the post game presser that it wasn’t the slash thy caused the issue, and that it was the original injury.

Perhaps the slash caused him to jerk away, or it may have been the attempt to knock the puck down in a jerking motion that flared it up. Lots of injuries only come out to play under duress or quick motions, which is probably what happened here. Hard to mimic that stuff outside of the game setting.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Unlike last yr at the very least this team has been competitive in most games for most of the game. They have yet to be blown out & play a hard nose attack style that I like & they don't seem to give up like previous yrs.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The slash was lame, but DJ did mention in the post game presser that it wasn’t the slash thy caused the issue, and that it was the original injury.

Perhaps the slash caused him to jerk away, or it may have been the attempt to knock the puck down in a jerking motion that flared it up. Lots of injuries only come out to play under duress or quick motions, which is probably what happened here. Hard to mimic that stuff outside of the game setting.

I agree it was not the slash that caused the injury; it was the hit and collision with the boards. The slash aggravated it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad