Post-Game Talk: Sens Make the CONFERENCE FINALS !!!!!

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Wingels, Stalberg and Burrows together have produced 0 goals and 6 assists in a total of 29 games.

It's hard to argue Dorion's deadline acquisitions have made a difference. Even harder when you consider that trading for Burrows and Stalberg has had the effect of pushing Dzingel and Pyatt out of the lineup for a lot of games, and those two guys are arguably better.

In regards to the depth argument, not trading for Burrows and Stalberg would still leave us with White and Paul - two guys who I believe could perform very well in a 4th line role right now + Neil and Kelly.

Giving credit to Dorion's depth acquisitions for making the conference finals doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

To say Burrows, Stalberg and Wingels haven't made a difference is just not true. It's not all about goals and assists. Granted, it would be nice if Burrows had a goal or two this post season, same with Stalberg, you can't say they aren't helping us. They help on the PK for sure. They also make sure we don't play Kelly and Neil every night, and I think we all agree that's a good thing. To expect more from them is fine and perfectly reasonable, to say they haven't made a difference is disingenuous.

Personally I love Stalberg. Love his compete level and his speed. I like a Wingels in a fourth line role because he kills penalties and finishes his checks. Nothing flashy, just gets the job done. Burrows has been dissapointing, no question, but he's made two good plays on OT goals, so there's that.

You can argue that we would still be here without these acquisitions, but it's hard to prove that.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Somehow I doubt we'd see the angst and saltiness on the main board if the Rangers, Montreal or the Bruins had moved on. I love that we're hated so deeply by so many.

Hate is a form of love.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Beating either of them will be very difficult.

If I knew 100% that we were going to win, I'd actually pick the Pens. Would be SOOOOOO satisfying to knock them off and shut up their fans.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Beating either of them will be very difficult.

If I knew 100% that we were going to win, I'd actually pick the Pens. Would be SOOOOOO satisfying to knock them off and shut up their fans.

That's how I feel. I think we have a better chance against the Penguins but I would hate if Penguins go into the final.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
To say Burrows, Stalberg and Wingels haven't made a difference is just not true. It's not all about goals and assists. Granted, it would be nice if Burrows had a goal or two this post season, same with Stalberg, you can't say they aren't helping us. They help on the PK for sure. They also make sure we don't play Kelly and Neil every night, and I think we all agree that's a good thing. To expect more from them is fine and perfectly reasonable, to say they haven't made a difference is disingenuous.

Personally I love Stalberg. Love his compete level and his speed. I like a Wingels in a fourth line role because he kills penalties and finishes his checks. Nothing flashy, just gets the job done. Burrows has been dissapointing, no question, but he's made two good plays on OT goals, so there's that.

You can argue that we would still be here without these acquisitions, but it's hard to prove that.

I think it's hard to argue that they haven't made a solid contribution. Rotating guys through the lineup helps us have fresher bodies and makes rolling 4 lines easier. When guys rotate back in you can see them going balls to the wall to stay in the lineup. Having competition is good. Without them we're looking at Kelly, Neil, While and Paul. I'm high on the latter two but could they have played a big role in getting us this far? that's reaching to support a thin argument imo.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The story for the Ottawa Senators all year long has been overcoming adversity. In Round One they were not the favourites to beat the Boston Bruins, despite finishing ahead of them in the regular season and having a much healthier lineup. Round Two was a similar scenario. They were dubbed as the underdogs of the series. It didn’t seem to bother them much. The New York Rangers matched up well against this team, but just weren’t able to stay consistent enough to bring this series to seven games to have the chance to move on. The Senators forgot about the two 4-1 losses in Games 3 and 4 at Madison Square Garden, and closed this series in six games with a 4-2 win on the road.

How far can the Senators Go?

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/05/11/ottawa-senators-vs-new-york-rangers-round-two-recap/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad