OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Eh... It would probably have the same effect as calling someone a "vagina".

As in: a puzzled look and people wondering if you have a grasp on basic conversational English. :laugh:
I’ll have to try it. The grasp on the basic language part doesn’t worry but to see the reaction would be hilarious!

I’ll report back on that! lol. :)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would actually argue against this, actually. It is very similar historically, the only difference being one was adopted and accepted into acceptable slang far earlier, while the other retained it's "stigma" longer due to a variety of reasons - sociologically, most likely due to the history of men being comfortable talking about their genitals, versus a societal pressure among women not to talk about theirs.

Historically, dick as a term for anatomy is apparently tied to the British military slang in and around 1880, and use to meaning a contemptible person is apparently from the 60's.

More generally speaking though, right or wrong, associating a man with sex has historically had a more positive (or rather, less negative) connotation than associating a female with sex, don't you agree?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Historically, dick as a term for anatomy is apparently tied to the British military slang in and around 1880, and use to meaning a contemptible person is apparently from the 60's.

More generally speaking though, right or wrong, associating a man with sex has historically had a more positive (or rather, less negative) connotation than associating a female with sex, don't you agree?

MEN associating themselves with sex has obviously had a more positive connotation historically, yes. History is rife with double standards that men get a pass on that Women have unfairly been burdened with stigma.

For example, it's only in the last 80-90ish years where women have been able to publicly consume alcohol without stigma. Women who drink alcohol were, until the mid-late 1920s, considered no better than prostitutes by the patriarchal societal mores throughout history in western culture. It's only the prevalence of speakeasies in the prohibition era where women were finally offered a safe place to drink publicly without stigma.

History is thoroughly packed with gender inequality and double standards - certainly, offensive language can under no circumstances claim to be unique in their gender biases.

I suppose you can look at it from a few perspectives. To me, the word in question reflects that double standard that has existed for almoat the entirety of recorded human history... But to me continuing to attribute stigma to it almost reinforces the double standard that has existed, rather than relieve it.

Again, I suppose my opinion on this is comes nore from a historian's point of view than anything else. I appreciate opposing views, and find topics like this to be both immensely interesting and worth having.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I suppose you can look at it from a few perspectives. To me, the word in question reflects that double standard that has existed for almoat the entirety of recorded human history... But to me continuing to attribute stigma to it almost reinforces the double standard that has existed, rather than relieve it.

I remember a group of friends and I having this opinion in high school and setting ourselves on a crusade to use :eek::eek::eek::eek: in as many contexts as possible until it lost its power. But as for
Eh, we call people "dicks" all the time, and nobody calls foul on basis of gender.

Equal opportunity insults. I fail to see how one is any worse than the other.
that's kind of like saying if saying "honky" is fine then...
It doesn't work like that primarily because if there's a group that has the greater power, insults of it will not be as hurtful as the insults the group with more power uses to put down those already less advantaged.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I don't see what the big deal is, here.

Is it that she used that particular word on TV? Is this a "decency on network television" thing?

If the complaint is that a comedian used harsh language in a bit, that complaint is about 40 years too late to really be taken seriously.

I think the outrage is more for the fact that it feels like whenever the right criticizes a female on the left, the narrative is that they only do so because they are sexist, mysogynist, bigots. When someone on the left criticizes (even unfairly) a woman on the right, it's is perfectly okay, and even encouraged.

It just seems like no matter what you do, you either have to agree 100% or else you are the reincarnation of Hitler.

It's pretty silly to have mass outrage about Samantha Bee, but she consistently criticizes Ivanka's father based on the language he uses towards his female opponents, but she (and others) seem to do the exact same thing without batting an eye. I don't agree with the outrage, but I'm just throwing in my two cents as the resident slightly more right-leaning poster. People on the right feel pretty frustrated, because they feel they have to walk on eggshells and watch their backs, meanwhile, the people enforcing these things seem to do it anyways, but just mask it as something else. It's pretty tiring to read stuff like this every single day, from both sides of the isle. I hope it ends soon, lol.

As for the word itself, I asked my girlfriend, and she said it's just because the c-word sounds really harsh. Almost like the full-length version of the F word for homosexuals. It just sounds so crass that it causes discomfort.

I'm not debating anything, just try to add perspective.

Reactions: Benjamin
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
So I watched the 2nd trailer for "Christopher Robin" that came out a little bit ago. Seems like there was outrage in some segments of the population on how much it spoiled the plot.

Regardless of your feelings on movie trailers and plot spoilers (I don't care, but mostly because I'm not bothered by spoilers in general), the plots on these types of movies always follow the same formula anyways:

Child has an active imagination, plays with whimsical toys/friends/beings that may or may not be imaginary/magical.
Time Skip.
Child is now an adult, and has lost his sense of wonder for the mysterious because of adulting and adult responsibilities. This usually cumulates in blowing off their child/family because he needs to go into work at the least minute because of his jerk of a boss, when they had some type of special occasion planned.
Either he or his child eventually wanders off or gets lost and ends up meeting/reuniting with his old childhood playmates that weren't imaginary after all, and they go on an adventure together.
At the end the now adult rediscovers the joy of his childhood/imagination/sense of wonder.

I was thinking. I wonder there will ever be a movie made with this type of plot where at the end the adult and his adult responsibilities is proven right, because that's actually how the real world works. Where the adult can't just blow off his jobs and responsibilities because he has a mortgage to pay and a family to support, and yes it sucks but life sucks, and that's just how it goes.

Reactions: saskriders

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I was thinking. I wonder there will ever be a movie made with this type of plot where at the end the adult and his adult responsibilities is proven right, because that's actually how the real world works. Where the adult can't just blow off his jobs and responsibilities because he has a mortgage to pay and a family to support, and yes it sucks but life sucks, and that's just how it goes.

Oh man, their kids waiting around to be picked up from school, everybody around them having to pick up their slack, I would love to see a movie like that and can think of a few people who could really stand to see one like that.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

In a way that's what the ending of Fight Club is about.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
My 86 year old mom just left me a phone message that Sting is performing on some show. “He’s gotten old” she said.

I love her!

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Got carded at the beer store today by a woman who may not have been born when I had my first legal drink.

Either I'm looking goooood or she's terrible at her job.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Got carded at the beer store today by a woman who may not have been born when I had my first legal drink.

You know technically, you're suppose to card anyone that looks under the age of 30.

(At least those were the rules back when I worked at a grocery store here in Calgary).

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Sometimes they also have spats of spot checks and start being extra cardy. I'll never forget this one guy who wouldn't accept my expired driver's licence, even though it was obviously me, obviously real and obviously if I was old enough to have an EXPIRED driver's licence, I was clearly not under 19. And I mean I know technically he was within his rights, but I was buying a damn sixpack for christ's sake.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't really go into the hockey fights sub forum, but there was a thread on the side bar that caught my eye. It was a Dad asking how he should feel about his kid (16 AJHL tryouts) getting into his first hockey fight. I didn't want to tell him how he should parent his kid, but is it just me or does anyone else think that in today's world with all we know about concussions and CTE it would be dumb as **** to be proud of your kid for fighting. Of course most people in the thread were saying he should be proud (I wouldn't be surprised if many people in that sub were in denial about CTE and fighting's future in hockey) and there wasn't much talk about the dangers. But even if someone were to say they thought he should not be proud of his kid for fighting do they have that right? How bad does an instance of parenting have to be before a random person should criticize?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I don't really go into the hockey fights sub forum, but there was a thread on the side bar that caught my eye. It was a Dad asking how he should feel about his kid (16 AJHL tryouts) getting into his first hockey fight. I didn't want to tell him how he should parent his kid, but is it just me or does anyone else think that in today's world with all we know about concussions and CTE it would be dumb as **** to be proud of your kid for fighting. Of course most people in the thread were saying he should be proud (I wouldn't be surprised if many people in that sub were in denial about CTE and fighting's future in hockey) and there wasn't much talk about the dangers. But even if someone were to say they thought he should not be proud of his kid for fighting do they have that right? How bad does an instance of parenting have to be before a random person should criticize?

My view is that turning to others, as a parent, on how he should feel is questionable in itself.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As a parent I can totally understand being conflicted on how to feel about it. A few months ago my kids (12 and 9 at the time) were playing soccer on a nearby playground with a couple of friends of the older son. There were these other kids there, a bit older than them, so they were playing against each other, but the other kids were playing really rough, basically pushing them over on purpose, etc., and eventually they'd had enough and said they didn't want to play anymore. Then the older kids took their balls away and while the older three just kind of stood there and didn't know what to do, it was my younger son who went after the three older kids himself, getting the balls back. One of the friends' mother's balcony looks down on the playground, so she heard the yelling and then called to them to come home and that was basically that. But as a parent, should I be proud of the younger son for standing up for himself, or proud of the older one for not being violent? I mean, I think kids need to learn to stand up for themselves, but where is the line for not using violence as a solution as well? Unfortunately (??) kids don't grow up on the street anymore and don't learn the fine code of how such things work. Hell, neither did I, so I don't really even have the knowledge to pass on to them. Of course, in hockey there is more or less a code about such things and I think the easy answer for that father is be proud he held his own but at the same time caution him not to go looking for it.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
You know technically, you're suppose to card anyone that looks under the age of 30.

(At least those were the rules back when I worked at a grocery store here in Calgary).
At least in Ontario I think you’re supposed to id if you think they look under 25.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
7363336322.png

Oh, baby. I should have moved a while ago.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I've been with Rogers the last 9 years. Not out of loyalty or anything, just because I'm too lazy to bother with actually switching anything. But hot dang, those speeds are bananas. I might have to look into this.

Also, who the eff is Samanta Bee?

Also also, America right now is a gong show. The divide between Republicans and Democrats is off the charts and everything is being taken as an attack. It's extremely childish. There's no chance right now of civil discussion on most issues. Everyone gets up in arms about everything.

But, the word Samantha used is just not cool in North America. It's pretty much the worst. She was going for shock value, which is what people need to do these days to get their faces in the media, but it's just dumb. You get 15 minutes of fame and then someone else says something stupid and you're quickly forgotten. But yeah, bad choice of word.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'd never heard of Samantha Bee before this moment but it seems like a pretty clear case of one side latching on to something post-Barr to try to say "see you're just as baaad" (imagine whiny voice)
And now you’ve heard of her. Mission accomplished.
(Can’t stand her myself. Definitely more popular among female viewers)

People in general are pretty confused right now. Distracted and disconnected.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Shot in the dark, anyone have any recommendations for small appliance repair? My hood mounted microwave has begun blowing fuses, I have it down to likely the door relays being faulty but am not willing to go much further myself repair wise, this one retails at $500 new so im trying to have it fixed first before looking for another.

Im in the west-end of Ottawa.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Im not sure if I would be proud of my kid for getting into a hockey fight or not. It’s a difficult decision. But hockey fights are still a part of the game. It is still a valid role as long as you can do more than just fight now. It’s still a part of the game and the ability to do it can be the deciding factor as to whether someone gets a million dollar salary on a team or not. I would want to be careful in suggesting that being proud of your kids for fighting might be bad parenting, that seems a bridge too far for me still.

You can validly object to fighting at all if you wish and hope that its removed from the game. But this is still a role required in hockey, Sometimes it needs to be done. If an opposing player purposely came in and blindsided your goalie for instance, I would be proud of my kid for stepping up and clobbering him.

Samantha Bee is another one of the The Daily Show alums that got her own show like Colbert and Oliver. She is probably the most vicious attack dog of all of them, but she is funny and brings up some really interesting issues. And like Bill Maher, they have all used that word on cable tv lately and gotten big laughs from their audience for doing so.

I don’t like the word, im not a fan of swearing at all. I still remember the first time Artchie Bunker used the derogatory 3 letter word for gay on tv and was aghast that they could say that on tv. Times have sure changed and even this c-word is now used. It seems there are few boundaries any more for swearing.

But this is the first time that I can think of where use of the c-word has been brought up and objected to. Obviously it’s the context now, not the word.

Reactions: maclean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad