OT: Sens Lounge -The Spring before the Summer Begins Again

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thankfully, it should be a long while before AI has the upper hand on a human touch in any endeavor.
Idk... I glued my balls to my butthole is grammy worthy...

Seriously the new ai generated music... It's actually scary good and idk what to think.

Why the hell does AI get used to take the jobs we like to do and not the crap ones instead...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What movies are we watching first on our quarter million dollar home theater system?

I'd want Stop Making Sense in the highest quality possible, then either T2 or Heat
Blazing saddles. Got it for free when I was an early adopter of HD DVD, but I need to know how Mel Brooks really intended me to see his art.

Speaking of Mel Brooks, he teased a potential space balls sequel, god I hope that come to fruition

Reactions: StoicSensFan

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

Seriously the new ai generated music... It's actually scary good and idk what to think.

Why the hell does AI get used to take the jobs we like to do and not the crap ones instead...
This was a conversation I had a lot when working in economic development. My best guess? Companies rushing to monetize the output of these tools benefit from reactive government legislation. There's a big time lag between something hitting market and any government regulating it.

Look at the SAG-AFTRA strike's focus on actors and writers being relegated by the use of AI and digital recreation tools. Here is a prime example of Companies benefiting from a lack of legislation and reasonable fences around the use and application of these tools. And they would have gotten away with it too if people didn't stand up for themselves.

To me, it's one thing if an artist uses AI in their overall toolkit. The output is still being directed by the artist. Where it truly becomes problematic is when Companies use these tools to replace artists.

But that's just the digital side of things. And while there are many crappy jobs in the digital sphere, I've long believed most of the crappy jobs in this world exist in the physical sphere. And robotics simply aren't there quite yet. But they'll get there eventually, and I worry about the day when a robot can paint a masterpiece, create a piece of heirloom furniture, or any number of other creative endeavors with no human input or oversight whatsoever.

But perhaps the rise of digital AI tools will be a siren call for legislators to prepare for more advanced robotic development..... wow, I almost said that with a straight face!

Anyways, if history is any sort of indicator, there will be a reckoning about the use of these tools eventually. Just a matter of when.

Reactions: thinkwild

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Speaking of Mel Brooks, he teased a potential space balls sequel, god I hope that come to fruition
NO f***ING WAY
180c8655-c51d-4a5e-9da3-e23cf197e02e_text.gif

Reactions: Micklebot

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Every time I see these smug Silicon Valley types talk about AI I think back to Cat's Cradle.

A bunch of self-important people who think they have it all figured out playing with technology for technology's sake.

Not super enthusiastic about the ultimate outcome...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
That's the takeaway i took from the Sam Altman - OpenAI dance. The way I understood it, the board wanted to dismiss him as CEO because they had concerns they were moving too fast. After all, a great number of the leading AI thinkers suggested taking a pause, allow legislation to catch up, put in some guardrails. But the board was let go and Altman rehired because losing out on being first to market is just too much sacrifice. So i guess we shoot first and ask questions later. Fingers crossed.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Every time I see these smug Silicon Valley types talk about AI I think back to Cat's Cradle.

A bunch of self-important people who think they have it all figured out playing with technology for technology's sake.

Not super enthusiastic about the ultimate outcome...

1713884834840.gif

Reactions: Mingus Dew

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
That's the takeaway i took from the Sam Altman - OpenAI dance. The way I understood it, the board wanted to dismiss him as CEO because they had concerns they were moving too fast. After all, a great number of the leading AI thinkers suggested taking a pause, allow legislation to catch up, put in some guardrails. But the board was let go and Altman rehired because losing out on being first to market is just too much sacrifice. So i guess we shoot first and ask questions later. Fingers crossed.

"move fast and break stuff"

Same reason these dudes can read a few articles on foreign policy and then proclaim that they've solved peace in the Middle East or the China/Taiwan dynamic. The sheer hubris is breathtaking.

They smart. Us dumb. Let smart guy innovate and invent unimpeded and don't ask questions.

God I love this show.

Reactions: Senscore

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If I'm being honest, I don't get the appeal of super high end home projectors anymore; TCL makes a 115 inch TV now that you don't have to worry about fan noise, treating the room for darkness, worse contrast, aligning the projector ect, and Hisense makes a 110 inch one. Granted, they'll set you back somewhere in the 30k+ range but if that's in my house maybe I don't care if we get a downtown arena or not...
Agreed, when doing mine, which is three seats front row, four row back elevated row, I went with an 82" Samsung UHD TV. The reality is depending on the space you have to be careful of how big you go, and how close the first row would be

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
If I'm being honest, I don't get the appeal of super high end home projectors anymore; TCL makes a 115 inch TV now that you don't have to worry about fan noise, treating the room for darkness, worse contrast, aligning the projector ect, and Hisense makes a 110 inch one. Granted, they'll set you back somewhere in the 30k+ range but if that's in my house maybe I don't care if we get a downtown arena or not...
I bought a super cheap projector recently (like under $100) and was shocked by how great it was. It's basically replaced the tv for me. Bigger picture and I find I don't get as much eye strain.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Thankfully, it should be a long while before AI has the upper hand on a human touch in any endeavor. In the meantime, we'll be inundated with more badly generated AI flotsam than we are now.
I just wish they'd leave it out entirely at this point until the tech is more mature. They ruin some releases just by slapping their AI at it.
I've been using ChatGPT a lot lately to help me estimate project times. It's been a useful tool so far, even if I have to spend a fair amount of time training it. An interesting side benefit is that it errs more on the side of caution than I do with time estimates, so that's just a better hourly rate for old Relapsing.
We used it a little bit at work too. It can be handy for things like drafting quick resolutions, but it still requires a lot of manual editing after, so I've gone back to using precedents more so.
Preservation is another interesting conversation in and of itself. We're going to keep seeing less and less physical media releases as time goes on. More of our access being gated by the companies we pay for it. Older technology being harder to integrate and use with modern tech. Good on you for preserving things for yourself and your kids!
That's my primary goal is being able to have it available for as long as I want. If there's one thing I've found through all this is that a lot of what's out there has just been basically wiped away from history and forgotten. Not found anywhere even if you wanted to. 1000's of movies I hadn't heard of since the time of release, or ever. Many never came out on Blu-ray, or even DVD. Thankfully, the world of pirates exist, because the actual owners of the content seem to only want to dangle carrots and they're not actually interested in preserving content beyond what they can monetize. I get that's the nature of the industry, but its lame since it's basically a world of art and that should be preserved.
The 90's are all the rage these days, so you're only a decade behind the youths. I have a deep love for 80's and early 90's movies. So many seminal entries, and the well is deep with hidden gems and absolute classics. One of my low-key favs is For Love or Money starring Michael J Fox... but I'm a sucker for anything he starred in.
I'm all about it man. The 90's/early 2000's is basically my youth and it's hard not to look fondly at them as the best days of life. You never get that childlike wonder back and the realities of being an adult come swiftly and depressingly ime. And they just don't make them like they used to, so if you want a certain type of content, you have no choice but to watch from those era's.
A few years ago, a good friend ended up working on an installation that needed a high res projector... I'm 95% sure it was a IMAX level Barco, and he brought it home for 'testing'... i.e playing video games. HOLY SHIT. Even on a not-very-flat wall with regular old interior grade paint, it was incredible.
Daaamn, that would have been fun. I had that feeling when I finally leveled up to JVC projectors after going budget with Epson for years. That'd be the cool part of being an installer is getting to play around with the high end toys. Of course, it's better to be able to just afford them for yourself, but that's reserved for a select few.
What movies are we watching first on our quarter million dollar home theater system?

I'd want Stop Making Sense in the highest quality possible, then either T2 or Heat
Ooooh, I'll play. Shawshank Redemption. Maybe a Tarantino film, either Inglorious Basterds or Django Unchained. The Great Escape would have to happen pretty early on too. A League of Their Own, A Few Good Men and Jerry Maguire to name a few others.

Agreed, when doing mine, which is three seats front row, four row back elevated row, I went with an 82" Samsung UHD TV. The reality is depending on the space you have to be careful of how big you go, and how close the first row would be
Man, 82" is like a bedroom TV ;)

Now you can tease me about the shitty Equinox in my driveway as opposed to what you're driving.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I saw a self driving floor cleaning machine at Wal Mart.

Do you want to mop the floors at Wal Mart?

Or the self serve check out. Do you want to be a cashier at Canadian Tire? Lol

They also take away the boring meaningless jobs no one wants to do.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
They are labeled debunked because people do the work to look into the research and facts, and show how the original claims were misleading or deceitful. That's how it's supposed to work. Imagine trying to defend fox as accurate based on popularity while ignoring everything that came out in the many lawsuits they've lost or settled, the marvel movies were really popular too, doesn't make the an accurate portrayal of reality.

Fox has admitted in court that their biggest program at the time wasn't to be taken seriously, stating that the "'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that [Carlson] is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.'

The Dominion lawsuit exposed fox with evidence of even they did not believe what they were saying on the air but instead were putting out what would bring in the ratings rather that reporting fact. it cost the over 700 mil to settle, and they've still got the smatmatic case to worry about.

Where people get their news tends to be demographically linked, not that popularity has any causal link whether is reliably factual or not, but NYTimes and CNN.com both dwarf Foxnews.com in visits, which comes in third next to MSNBC.com.

But sure, keep defending Prager U as a reliable source of information... It's all just a conspiracy to discredit them based on their political views, not a long history of them being discredited for false and misleading claims.

People who tend to defend their primary sources of “News”, do so mostly when they sole source their “News” from one side of then politician spectrum that they themselves are on. Doesn’t matter which side, as both pump the tires for their side, and barley cover anything negative about their side…..

However, when someone breaks ranks, and gives us an insiders look at how the sausages are made, and confirms the suspected bias, and how deep it goes, then people on both sides should come to realise they should seek POVs, opinions and reports/documentaries on the opposite side from theirs…. In other words listen what the other side of the coin is saying, and what it saying about the side of the coin….

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's not AI, that's automation. Whole different kettle of fish.
Self checkout isn't even that really, it's just getting the customer to do the work...

The robot cleaner might be considered AI though, good chance it has some sort implementation

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Self checkout isn't even that really, it's just getting the customer to do the work...

The robot cleaner might be considered AI though, good chance it has some sort implementation
Might as well at this point. I've done my time in customer service and I'm big on acknowledging people as the bare minimum, especially when I'm with my son, and something I really notice now is I can't get a word out of most of them anymore. I went to Canadian Tire the other day and couldn't get a word out of either of the till workers. I said hello. I asked how their day was. Not a word, they just looked at me and spoke their own language to each other. They didn't tell me the total or ask for my points card and just waited for me to tap my visa assuming that's how I was paying. Then I thanked them and told them to have a nice day. Not one word was said back to me the entire interaction and they scanned things at a pace of about a 1/3 of what I would do. That's the majority of my interactions in box stores at this point I find. It's shit pay and a shit job and I feel for them, but man, can I at least get a Hello here?

Reactions: DrEasy

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Not sure the self-checkout is really saving these corporations money. Last week at Home Depot I was waiting my turn for the self checkout and there was this 20-something-year-old using one. At one point, the guy just left and the screen was on the pay portion and he never completed it. The others in line, all looked at each other and said the guy just took off without paying. The girl monitoring the self-checkout just looked dumbfounded and we all told her, go get the dude, he just left without paying. She shrugged her shoulders and again, the older guys in line are yelling at her to get someone to chase the guy down. Nothing. The amount on the screen was $286.00. Wow.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not sure the self-checkout is really saving these corporations money. Last week at Home Depot I was waiting my turn for the self checkout and there was this 20-something-year-old using one. At one point, the guy just left and the screen was on the pay portion and he never completed it. The others in line, all looked at each other and said the guy just took off without paying. The girl monitoring the self-checkout just looked dumbfounded and we all told her, go get the dude, he just left without paying. She shrugged her shoulders and again, the older guys in line are yelling at her to get someone to chase the guy down. Nothing. The amount on the screen was $286.00. Wow.
100%. It's a license to steal for many and I've seen exactly that scenario too. Pretty much everyone I know, including professionals, take a very annoyed, flippant approach to doing their work for them and seems to have changed a lot of attitudes that missing scanning an item or two each time is just to be expected. They openly brag about "missing" items. Poor loblaws and Wal-Mart, however will they survive lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad