OT: Sens Lounge LXXVI | The One Where the RedBlacks won and it was a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I barely had any time for TV (aside from hockey and GoT) but now I'm looking all over the place for some decent entertainment.

Suggestions?

I saw some great suggestions already but would like to add one more. A relatively new series called Utopia, currently in its second season.

This show is super intense and not for the faint of heart but it is fantastic.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Very troubling news

That giant, massive gaping hole in Siberia?

vjvldbsa4gvrfksrwveg.jpg

Very hot summers melted permafrost and released high concentration of methane (just under 10% of the air when it's 0.0001% usually) and created a massive underground explosion

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
So the ******* of the world just let one rip, that's what you're telling me? What are the consequences of this massive toot?

Edit: looked it up, the holes are the immediate consequence.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Methane gets released from permafrost around the world and could drastically worsen climate change

This is potentially (they just, just figured out what happened so I stress potentially) catastrophic news

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Very troubling news

vjvldbsa4gvrfksrwveg.jpg

Very hot summers melted permafrost and released high concentration of methane (just under 10% of the air when it's 0.0001% usually) and created a massive underground explosion

Apparently theres methane leaking all over the world from melting ice and thawing ground. A ton of it. The potential to accelerate global warming a 100 years within 10 years.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Methane gets released from permafrost around the world and could drastically worsen climate change

This is potentially (they just, just figured out what happened so I stress potentially) catastrophic news

Saw that on Cosmos. :nod:

Makes me wish I was 18 again and had the brain power to become a scientist.:nod:

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, earlier episodes of Community, Parks and Recreation, early episodes of How I Met Your Mother if you want comedy. Breaking Bad, Suits, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Once Upon a Time, pre-season 5 Dexter for more dramatic/action-based. There's a decent amount of decent TV shows on nowadays. If you want any info on any of the above I'll be happy to describe in more detail.

Depending on one's own personal tastes, Archer is another show that is very good (basically a cartoon version of Arrested Development). I never got why Breaking Bad was so great though. A few other shows I can think of to add to this list are: Justified, The Inbetweeners, Undeclared (if you like Freaks and Geeks), Silicon Valley and New Girl. If you have netflix and want to watch some older shows, Scrubs and Psych are both available I believe.

Anyone have experience with buying a refurbished laptop? Worth it?

Will the refurbished laptop come with a warranty? If you are tight on cash than a refurbished laptop is good, but from my experience they often don't come with a warranty.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Jesse Brown's Canadaland podcast is an absolute must for anyone interested in Canadian media. Topics include an analysis of the changes to the CBC, the death of print media and its future, telecom monopolies and interviews with figures such as Jan Wong, Linden MacIntyre, Micheal Enright and Susan Delacourt among others. Great stuff here.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Here's Ryan Gosling stomping around my current stomping grounds...

dude likes hockey same reason i do!! "cause like it's really cool, cause you can like do all this stuff and like put it in the net and stuff like that". I too "love that about hockey".:yo:

cool dude

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Depending on one's own personal tastes, Archer is another show that is very good (basically a cartoon version of Arrested Development). I never got why Breaking Bad was so great though. A few other shows I can think of to add to this list are: Justified, The Inbetweeners, Undeclared (if you like Freaks and Geeks), Silicon Valley and New Girl. If you have netflix and want to watch some older shows, Scrubs and Psych are both available I believe.
Can't believe I forgot Archer. Yes. +1 to Archer. It's a spiritual successor (same style, different world) to Arrested Development. Many of the same actors, too. And Undeclared is the same with Freaks and Geeks, but with a young Jay Baruchel in the starring role.

Silicon Valley's good, too. I need to get caught up on that. And Scrubs, of course, is always a fun albeit silly time. Did you know the guy who plays Ted is in a legit band called The Blanks?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Will the refurbished laptop come with a warranty? If you are tight on cash than a refurbished laptop is good, but from my experience they often don't come with a warranty.

It comes with a 1 year warranty.

Its 600 bucks. The equivalents are $800-$1000.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
dude likes hockey same reason i do!! "cause like it's really cool, cause you can like do all this stuff and like put it in the net and stuff like that". I too "love that about hockey".:yo:

cool dude

I know right? That's so cool about hockey...putting it in the net and stuff.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Very troubling news

vjvldbsa4gvrfksrwveg.jpg

So I study permafrost science. I think it's a degraded pingo and something went terribly wrong. The thing that is bizarre about these holes is that the ground seems to have almost exploded outward. Normally when an ice-cored mound like a pingo collapses, this happens:

Normal pingo:
images

Inside a pingo:
pingo.jpg

collapsed pingo:
nature_image6.ashx

These new sinkholes could be the result of a collapsed pingo, the size is right anyway, but it doesn't seem right, with somewhat bare earth encircling the "crater" (normally since pingo decay is a slow-ish process, the remaining soil ring stays vegetated). And where would all the water have gone? Permafrost, even if it is thawing downward, is relatively impermeable to water, so it would simply pool, like in the collapsed pingo picture.

The formation mechanisms at work here have definitely never been studied before. I blame climate change. Oddly enough, it is actually warmer and shorter winters that are ruining the permafrost up north, and messing up the temperature equilibrium more than it is the warmer summer weather. Someone in Russia is going to get an epic PhD thesis out of this.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So I study permafrost science. I think it's a degraded pingo and something went terribly wrong. The thing that is bizarre about these holes is that the ground seems to have almost exploded outward. Normally when an ice-cored mound like a pingo collapses, this happens:

Normal pingo:
images

Inside a pingo:
pingo.jpg

collapsed pingo:
nature_image6.ashx

These new sinkholes could be the result of a collapsed pingo, the size is right anyway, but it doesn't seem right, with somewhat bare earth encircling the "crater" (normally since pingo decay is a slow-ish process, the remaining soil ring stays vegetated). And where would all the water have gone? Permafrost, even if it is thawing downward, is relatively impermeable to water, so it would simply pool, like in the collapsed pingo picture.

The formation mechanisms at work here have definitely never been studied before. I blame climate change. Oddly enough, it is actually warmer and shorter winters that are ruining the permafrost up north, and messing up the temperature equilibrium more than it is the warmer summer weather. Someone in Russia is going to get an epic PhD thesis out of this.

meh...climate change has been occurring since the dawn of time.

I'm more interested to see what two centuries of pulling crude out of the ground and the new 'fracking' method is doing to the planet. You can't just pull millions (billions maybe by now?) of tons out of the earth and not have some sort of effect underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad