Post-Game Talk: Sens Lose to Oil

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
So White out and Logan Brown's now banged up too? Brutal timing, would have been a good chance for him to get in the lineup.

Stützle at Centre with Formenton coming up and a guy like Peca or Haley coming in.

Agreed though this was likely Browns best chance.

Reactions: SPF6ty9

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
We can’t keep saying “burn the tape”. Burning the tape, IMO, is for teams that generally have success and play a solid game and for whom a bad game is an outlier.

We’re halfway through the year and they have a brutal game every week. They need every one of these tapes to cut clips and show Melnyk where the sens need to invest to improve this team’s quality and depth, particularly on defense.

One more legit top 4 guy and one more legit top 6 forward (or even top 9) would already make a massive difference.

Reactions: Icelevel

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
"The whole game, we just didn't play the right way and we just didn't eliminate anybody," Senators coach D.J. Smith said. "We didn't stop anyone in the [defensive] zone, and we were easy to play against. We didn't look like we had a lot of jam, and they did. They had good legs, they jumped on every puck and they were ready to play, and we weren't."

What incredible insight from the coach. Just gotta tell the players next game to:

1. Play right way
2. Stop someone in the zone
3. Be hard to play against
4. Have jam
5. Be ready to play

That's a concrete plan for being better. Nice to hear from the on ice tactical planner for the squad. Expecting things to really change.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Pretty accurate. Dorions first choice.

It was just funny how the moment Boudreau went to Minny, Boucher was hired like 5 seconds later

Dorian in his press conference was like "guy was our #1 choice"

was so obvious it was a plan b lol

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
We can’t keep saying “burn the tape”. Burning the tape, IMO, is for teams that generally have success and play a solid game and for whom a bad game is an outlier.

We’re halfway through the year and they have a brutal game every week. They need every one of these tapes to cut clips and show Melnyk where the sens need to invest to improve this team’s quality and depth, particularly on defense.

One more legit top 4 guy and one more legit top 6 forward (or even top 9) would already make a massive difference.

I mean its a rebuilding year, the only thing you can do is move on from bad games which you are going to have a lot of. I can understand being upset that we lost two good players in what was already a bad loss, but demanding the GM make a hasty trade to try to bandaid a rebuilding team is a bad call.

There are a ton of talented players at forward and defence that will be breaking into the NHL for the sens in the next two years, including top 4 D and top 9 forwards. At this point the organization is better served playing the wait and see approach with the young talented players we have coming up while also putting pressure on Melnylk to move on from Dorion so that a competent pro talent evaluator can come in and make a big move next year or the year after.

Also worth mentioning is our home vs. Away record is likely cause by the huge turnover in players mixed with all the young players not being comfortable with bad matchups/far side line changes/exhaustion from travel. Just something we are going to have to take our lumps with until the young guys get more experience.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It was just funny how the moment Boudreau went to Minny, Boucher was hired like 5 seconds later

Boudreaus daughter was liking and retweeting a bunch of reports that boudreau was going to sign with Ottawa. But then it got axed because of his salary demands

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not only is the team bad, the taxi squad is worse & Belleville has only one or two possibilities, the entire organization sucks this season.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Bishop era 2.0 looks to be on the way!

I said a bit ago that there was no chance Bishop would get in a game lmao. Being wrong can be funny sometimes.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

As predicted. Somehow brannstrom will find his way on the outside looking in after last nights debacle. Where. Honestly. He was not that bad relative to the rest of the dumbasses.

unfortunetly coach has publicly backed reilly and gudbransson. Scratching either of them would make him look bad

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Bishop era 2.0 looks to be on the way!

I said a bit ago that there was no chance Bishop would get in a game lmao. Being wrong can be funny sometimes.

Not really surprising, since it has to be someone on the taxi squad, can’t fly someone out for 1 game, then quarantine.

Reactions: cudi

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

I think if you take any management course you'll understand that is what you need to say regardless of the history.

What idiot would say "we lost X and we ended up taking Y"?

Dorion is unfortunately towing the line. It's his job.

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021
Who do you think is missing from the lineup to make us competitive?

I am a new fan as of the last time you beat Calgary with hard work ethic and know little of your history.

I hope Dzingel and White are ok.

Reactions: Yak

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
As predicted. Somehow brannstrom will find his way on the outside looking in after last nights debacle. Where. Honestly. He was not that bad relative to the rest of the dumbasses.

unfortunetly coach has publicly backed reilly and gudbransson. Scratching either of them would make him look bad

It's not about Reilly or Gudrbanson, It's about Brannstrom and Wolanin, neither have proven they can be relied upon heavily. Until one of them steps up, I doubt we see them both in the lineup especially with Chabot in the lineup.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's not about Reilly or Gudrbanson, It's about Brannstrom and Wolanin, neither have proven they can be relied upon heavily. Until one of them steps up, I doubt we see them both in the lineup especially with Chabot in the lineup.
Neither have reilly or gudbransson?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Who do you think is missing from the lineup to make us competitive?

Experience. It's a young club that is heavily relying on young players to lead the way offensively. Stutzle, Batherson, Norris even guys like Tkachuk, Paul and White are inexperienced and still learning at the NHL level, none of them have even reached 200 GP. The team is structured to allow these players to blossom, they aren't at the point where they bring it night in and night out, there's off nights and for the most part this team will go as far as those players will bring them. Night's like last night are nights where it would be nice to have a player like Mark Stone to get things going offensively, the team really struggled to sustain any type of pressure and were on their heels from puck drop until the game was too far out of reach. It won't be the last time either.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
It was COMICAL how the commentators after the 2nd period were pointing out how the Sens were out hitting the Oilers by 25-7 something, and praising DJ Smith for having his team play hard and physical, like he wants!

LOL JUST LOL!

I was SHOCKED that the Oilers even had 7 hits, given the fact they had the puck 100% of the time

Reactions: DrEasy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Neither have reilly or gudbransson?

I would say you can lean on them more so than the other two. Having to lean on Reilly and Gudbransson are a part of why this team struggles, but the results would be worse if it were Brannstrom and Wolanin playing those types of roles at this moment.

Reactions: ffayyca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad