Post-Game Talk: Sens Lose to Oil

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Only positive was seeing Stutzle play C in the third period.

I honestly believe we beat ourselves. The score really flatters the Oil. We played atrocious puck management and were rushing every play as if we were the ones with McDavid and Drai. Probably the worst structured game holistically this season.

DJ said we gotta grind them down yet we had everyone forcing pucks and trying to outskill the Oilers.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
We need Gallant/Boudreau like yesterday.

Word is the team almost had Boudreau in 2016 but Melynk wouldn't spend the $$

Not totally sure how accurate that rumour is though

I don't think the team gets a coach like one of those two unless Melnyk sells or has an epiphany that he has to spend actual money on a solid coaching staff

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
as much as i would like Dorion to get relieved its not realistic. Likely if the team is still bottom 10 next year I think that may be the time but i wonder since its suppose to be fyous aren't we suppose to be contenders next year so expectation would be a top 10 team no?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yikes. Tough night. Played terrible and got spanked while racking up a couple injuries. Comments after the game from DJ and Brady indicate some frustration.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
That's not odd. He's been one of our better defensemen.
upload_2021-3-11_0-2-31.gif

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I wonder how much the struggles on road has to do with not getting match ups. Ottawa did a pretty good job containing McDavid for the games in Ottawa. Tierney and Brown are usually the go to line for match ups but Tippet was getting the top line out there against that kid line. Which was disasterous for Ottawa, it really set the tone early on.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I wonder how much the struggles on road has to do with not getting match ups. Ottawa did a pretty good job containing McDavid for the games in Ottawa. Tierney and Brown are usually the go to line for match ups but Tippet was getting the top line out there against that kid line. Which was disasterous for Ottawa, it really set the tone early on.

Not getting the right matchups isn’t the issue. Having a terrible team is.

If you’re so dependent on matchups that you do relatively well at home and get destroyed on the road, you don’t have enough NHL quality players to be competitive against other NHL teams.

Sens have too many players getting caved in.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Short memories in here. We had the best line in hockey too for a few years and they killed teams.

It’s hard to feel bad when McDavid and Dri have a night.

Murray was pretty good, we took a beating on the scoreboard and lost two players.

I liked the passion from Dzingle, Had to laugh, he really wanted to feed it to Russel.

Burn the tape and move on, it’s good to see how much better we need to play once in a while when we hold Calgary, Toronto and Montreal to a much tougher standard.

Did I say Murray was good tonight?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

If you’re so dependent on matchups that you do relatively well at home and get destroyed on the road, you don’t have enough NHL quality players to be competitive against other NHL teams.

It’s true. But we’re just starting the rebuild in terms of icing our prized players, so we can’t expect to be good yet.

But we play the right way, and we have a lot of raw skill in the NHL and below. I can see how we can be a really good team, the only question is if we can continue to grow to get there.

It’s a cool time to be a Sens fan :)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I mean the team is giving up 2.67 GA/60 at 5v5 at home and 4.09 GA/60 on the road there's something going on there. I thought the poor start to the season was a factor but excluding January that number is still 3.65. 3.99 in the month of March. Obviously this team isn't good but there's something to be said for game flow and momentum swings. We weren't winning any shifts early on because the Oilers matched there top offensive lines against ours. The lines we rely on to build momentum were defending for entire shifts until the point were the team imploded. It's not just about neutralizing their best players, it's about putting our best players in a position where they can get favorable matchups. A part of this team not being good is that our offensive leaders aren't at a point where they and go head to head with the oppositions best and get results. They went head to head with their best tonight and it was ugly.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I mean the team is giving up 2.67 GA/60 at 5v5 at home and 4.09 GA/60 on the road there's something going on there. I thought the poor start to the season was a factor but excluding January that number is still 3.65. 3.99 in the month of March. Obviously this team isn't good but there's something to be said for game flow and momentum swings. We weren't winning any shifts early on because the Oilers matched there top offensive lines against ours. The lines we rely on to build momentum were defending for entire shifts until the point were the team imploded. It's not just about neutralizing their best players, it's about putting our best players in a position where they can get favorable matchups. A part of this team not being good is that our offensive leaders aren't at a point where they and go head to head with the oppositions best and get results. They went head to head with their best tonight and it was ugly.

Our defensive system is flawed.

Reactions: c_mak

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Need a leader on defence. Someone who can take control of the group and go over the boards and take control of the game.

Chabot is trying so hard but the minutes are to much for him. Love his heart but his brain isn’t ready for 27+ minutes every night. Not a knock, just reality. He looks exhausted to me.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I am an Oiler fan living in Waterloo for the past 30 years. I can't stand the Leafs and have always had a soft spot for the Sens going back to the early 90'so I have watched quite a few games this year. Having seen the Oilers take a lot of beatings like this in the recent past I can appreciate how frustrating it can be. But I like the Sens' chances of turning this around. Your team has young skill that makes mistakes and not enough depth to compensate for this. Against McDavid/Draisaitl that is going to kill you on nights when they are on. But your team plays the right way. And that goes for your skill guys. (I love Stutzle by the way. He could easily be the best player out of that draft.) That's a very good sign if they can keep it up. During the Oiler's decade of darkness they had skill but no discipline. I could see the Sens being a team like Winnipeg in the near future, skilled but equally hard to play against. I am looking forward to the days in the near future when instead of Boston being the thorn in the Leaf's side its the Sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad