Post-Game Talk: Sens Lose to Oil

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would say you can lean on them more so than the other two. Having to lean on Reilly and Gudbransson are a part of why this team struggles, but the results would be worse if it were Brannstrom and Wolanin playing those types of roles at this moment.
You think we would have let in more goals yesterday? And scored the same amount.? The difference is smith has publicly backed those two

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
It was COMICAL how the commentators after the 2nd period were pointing out how the Sens were out hitting the Oilers by 25-7 something, and praising DJ Smith for having his team play hard and physical, like he wants!

LOL JUST LOL!

I was SHOCKED that the Oilers even had 7 hits, given the fact they had the puck 100% of the time

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You think we would have let in more goals yesterday? And scored the same amount.? The difference is smith has publicly backed those two

I think we have more nights like last night if you are relying on both Brannstrom and Wolanin. I like the upside of both, even if I have my concerns for Wolanin but neither have played to a point where I would be comfortable with them both in the line up. At this point both need to be sheltered, it's tough to shelter two defensemen.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
I think if you take any management course you'll understand that is what you need to say regardless of the history.

What idiot would say "we lost X and we ended up taking Y"?

Dorion is unfortunately towing the line. It's his job.

nah i get it, it was just funny how obvious it was that Boucher was plan b

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Nobody noticed that DJ paired Zub with Brannstrom a good part of the game? So he will be benched event if he was not the worst D in this game.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Losing Dzingel and White means we just lost a whole lot of Speed\.

Bring up Formenton and Abramov for 1 game

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not getting the right matchups isn’t the issue. Having a terrible team is.

If you’re so dependent on matchups that you do relatively well at home and get destroyed on the road, you don’t have enough NHL quality players to be competitive against other NHL teams.

Sens have too many players getting caved in.

Wait, have you seen the numbers I posted about how we fare at home vs on the road?

Home : 5-6-1 (25th in P%), 36 GF, 36 GA (which is 3.0 GF/GP and 3.0 GA/GP)
Road : 4-13-0 (31st in P%), 39 GF, 79 GA (which is 2.29 GF/GP and 4.65 GA/GP)

I mean, that's pretty telling. But you're right we have too many weak players. It's not that they can't play in the NHL, it's just that they're playing way above their capacities because of the lack of good established players (normal in a rebuild but you need some kind of limit, look at the Kings for example who have some strong veterans)

Now look at that :

At HOME, among 201 D-men who played at least 80 minutes at ES, ranked from worst (had to lower it to 80 mins because we played less at home) :

CA/60 : Coburn 3rd, Zub 23rd, Zaitsev 31st, Chabot 39th, Gudbranson 70th, Reilly 94th
SA/60 : Coburn 10th, Gudbranson 18th, Zaitsev 52th, Chabot 65th, Zub 114th, Reilly 138th
SCA/60 : Coburn 10th, Zaitsev 105th, Chabot 115th, Zub 122th, Gudbranson 129th, Reilly 150
HDCA/60 : Coburn 77th, Chabot 86th, Zaitsev 128th, Gudbranson 131, Zub 188th, Reilly 191
GA/60 : Gudbranson 18th, Chabot 35th, Coburn 111th, Zaitsev 123rd, Reilly 130th, Zub 137th

On the ROAD, among 178 D-men who played at least 100 minutes at ES, ranked from worst :

CA/60 : Zaitsev 12th, Gudbranson 14th, Chabot 21st, Reilly 85th, Brannstrom 140th, Zub 158
SA/60 : Zaitsev 13th, Gudbranson 18th, Chabot 28th, Reilly 57th, Zub 161st, Brannstrom 163
SCA/60 : Brannstrom 4th, Chabot 5th, Gudbranson 6th, Zaitsev 13th, Reilly 43rd, Zub 84th
HDCA/60 : Chabot 8th, Gudbranson 10th, Brannstrom 12th, Zaitsev 19th, Reilly 28, Zub 96
GA/60 : Reilly 3rd (Djoos and Hughes are the only worse), Zaitsev 5th, Chabot 12th, Zub 23rd, Gudbranson 64th, Brannstrom 71th

Conclusions :

Of course, advanced stats don't tell the whole story but we can notice some disperancies. Keep in mind, guys at home from other teams can have more favorable matchups too.

Our best "shutdown" D-man is 25 y/o rookie from Russia who doesn't speak english and wasn't played until the 9th game...

Looking at that, it seems that Reilly and Zaitsev (and Gudbranson to a smaller extent) are getting ABUSED on the road. I think opposing teams target those 3 as to when to send their best guys, which sounds pretty logic to be honest. Problem is they play on all 3 pairings most of the time lol. In the end, the whole defense gets abused. I would like to do that exercice for the forwards

Chabot also get abused on the road but he plays way too much, against top competition and doesn't have a good partner. He absolutely needs his Methot if we want to go anywhere.

This isn't perfect because Coburn has played less than 100 ES TOI on the road and Brannstrom has played less than 80 ES TOI at home but didn't want to change all the criterias after the fact lol. I'm fast but it's still a bit of work

Last edited:

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
It was COMICAL how the commentators after the 2nd period were pointing out how the Sens were out hitting the Oilers by 25-7 something, and praising DJ Smith for having his team play hard and physical, like he wants!

LOL JUST LOL!

I was SHOCKED that the Oilers even had 7 hits, given the fact they had the puck 100% of the time

I am really not liking Singh. His voice is not my favourite, but that's whatever. What really bothers me is that his excitement level is seemingly random. There are times where the Sens had a great chance and he'd treat it like a dump in. Then there are other times a team throws up a whatever shot and he screams like it's a break away. Not the first game I noticed this.

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021
Experience. It's a young club that is heavily relying on young players to lead the way offensively. Stutzle, Batherson, Norris even guys like Tkachuk, Paul and White are inexperienced and still learning at the NHL level, none of them have even reached 200 GP. The team is structured to allow these players to blossom, they aren't at the point where they bring it night in and night out, there's off nights and for the most part this team will go as far as those players will bring them. Night's like last night are nights where it would be nice to have a player like Mark Stone to get things going offensively, the team really struggled to sustain any type of pressure and were on their heels from puck drop until the game was too far out of reach. It won't be the last time either.
Is Pierre Dorion a good GM? Is he consistent in making the right long-term decisions for the team? Does he force players into the line-up too early?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Is Pierre Dorion a good GM? Is he consistent in making the right long-term decisions for the team? Does he force players into the line-up too early?

That's really yet to be determined. There's been some good moves, some bad moves. It's a rebuild, hard to draw conclusions at this point.

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021
That's really yet to be determined. There's been some good moves, some bad moves. It's a rebuild, hard to draw conclusions at this point.
Fair. I am excited to see how these players develop and what other players we can obtain.

Yeah, a Stone like player would be great.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think DJ Smith summarized it well "we were easy to play against"

Oiler fan in peace
I wouldnt get to down about that loss. Those games happen. It happened to us against Toronto. Ottawa has a very bright future. Hopefully Melenyk will spend money and team will flourish

Problem is I'd say it hapened already 11 times in 29 games so far...

One day he’ll realize that paying for a top GM and coach saves you a lot of money.

Simply this. A good GM will bring in the right mix of players, coaching staff will teach them how to play the right way and correct their deficiencies. They will also instill efficient hockey systems and adjust to the opposition when they abuse your weaknesses.

Team is really difficult to watch in games like these. I realize it's a) the Senators/Dorion/Melnyk and b) the "pandemic season" but DJ really needs to start getting pressed as to why the team is halfway through the season and he hasnt made any tactical adjustments to attempt to cover for the team's glaring defensive weaknesses.

It's one thing to park the bus, but the team isnt even subsequently difficult for other team's to break down...and he needs to do something about their complete inability to get the puck out of the zone when a Sens player gets it on their stick.

Just think about Boucher and how he would be able to limit the opposition. We know we're not a good team but getting blown out in 1/3 of the games is unacceptable at the NHL level. It's not just a matter of "personnel"

I don't even see anything about our "supposed" identity... we're not even physical, we throw a lot of hits because we're chasing the puck. We're not hard to play against at all, at least in many games. Every team lay some "eggs" in a season, but we're the Easter Bunny in comparison

Last edited:
Reactions: Yak and Fuhrious

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I am really not liking Singh. His voice is not my favourite, but that's whatever. What really bothers me is that his excitement level is seemingly random. There are times where the Sens had a great chance and he'd treat it like a dump in. Then there are other times a team throws up a whatever shot and he screams like it's a break away. Not the first game I noticed this.

True, he just doesn't have the skills to be a hockey commentator. His voice was so awkward and I didn't felt like I was hearing a live Sports Commentary. Maybe he will learn with time and experience

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He’s an oilers fan. Very biased

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

LOL JUST LOL!

they started being pro Sens because I think the station didn’t want all of Ottawa turning off their TVs after the Sens came out in the 2nd and were like ‘let’s just continue on with this hockey’

I stuck around for the 2nd but with absolutely no push back, after Dzingel and Tkachuk couldn’t even start fights I went to bed. So their compliments didn’t work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad