Post-Game Talk: Sens lose 3-2 to EDM

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
That 3rd goal allowed by Hogberg was absolutely bizarre.

In 40 years of watching hockey, I cant recall ever seeing a goaltender anywhere near this level of skill just "whoops" himself completely off his angle without being physically influenced by another player. Pure Sunday league stuff. Shocking. At what point, if ever, will DJ have any confidence to throw him out there again? If the Sens put him on waivers this morning, who even claims him? His fundamentals appear to be broken.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
IMO if Reilly plays like that on a regular basis in limited minutes I think he’s the better player right now.
I just don’t know that he can do it.
Its nice to get the reps in to work through your mistakes. Wolanin wasnt afforded that luxury, its also no suprise that Reilly looks better when Zub is his partner. He was good last night but #2 makes it easy on his partner.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
A brutal group of forwards and a coach, who does not know how to use them in line combinations. To make everyone to play better and to develop youth faster.
There is no chemistry in line combos. I do not think the team is even practicing enough how to exist their own end and neutral zone passing. And how to box opposition to take the puck off the boards and start the cycle in the offensive zone. It is just not even AHL level what we have, beer leagues do better. Terrible coaching. By not doing this, we are wasting our little talent and not developing it. We need this to be installed asap and we need a new coach.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: Cosmix and Crosside

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
This team looked a factor of 10 better than the team who played games 4-10. Yesterday was a winnable game. In fact the last 4, have been winnable...A lucky bounce or two and wow.

I was so down on them 10 days ago, I found myself reveling in their loses..Now, I am becoming a fan. Bounces will eventually even out. When they do...wins will come.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This team looked a factor of 10 better than the team who played games 4-10. Yesterday was a winnable game. In fact the last 4, have been winnable...A lucky bounce or two and wow.

I was so down on them 10 days ago, I found myself reveling in their loses..Now, I am becoming a fan. Bounces will eventually even out. When they do...wins will come.
The pros started doing what the fans wanted them to do.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well it certainly doesn’t show up on the ice. Half the time it looks like players have no idea where they’re supposed to be.

Pierre McGuire, who almost always gives coaches a ton of leeway, has already commented on the lack of system. A lot of the mistakes aren’t the result of poor effort. They’re the result of being out of position. That’s coaching.

Several people also did in Quebec, including 4 times Cup champ Mario Tremblay who has also been a NHL assistant coach for years.

I have the feeling the defense adjustments came from the players and/or an assistant coach. Defense and Murray have been the bright spot the last 4 games.

I actually didn't mind the Tkachuk - Tierney - C. Brown combo. They're not going to play pretty hockey, but Tkachuk doesn't necessarily need to play with skilled players to score his goals. C. Brown showed him how to do it today. ;)

Paul - White - Dadonov was also more of the crash-and-bang kind, with more oomph. Well, with our personnel we don't have much choice anyway, at least until L. Brown joins the team.

We need to find a good line for Stutzle. Maybe have him play with Norris and Batherson. But Norris needs to be better than this first. If Stepan was actually good, Stutzle - Stepan - Batherson could have worked. Stepan playing the defensively responsible role on the line.

Norris is still good defensively, I think he is focusing on that, probably scared/nervous to make mistakes. Might not be an easy for a 21 y/o rookie to play a big role on a team that can't get some wins. The approach for the season should have been TOTALLY different right from start. Go on to have fun and learn how to play efficient NHL hockey. All should have been about development. Now it seems that they are progressively rectifying but that "pressure" at the beginning was detrimental. They don't have the vets to compete lmao.

Can the Tkachuk-Tierney-Brown line shutdown the oppostion and get their share of goals? If that works then ok, have them as the main match up line. The Paul-White-Dadonov is as good defensively, if not better. But that's basically putting all your best defensive forwards together, which will create holes and lack of experience on other lines. We all know Stepan shouldn't be in the lineup, and the sooner we integrate Logan, the better.

Basically 2 "deluxe" matchup lines and 2 more oriented offensive lines... I know it's not ideal defensively but I wonder what that kid line could do. You'd be hoping for some chemistry between Brown and Galchenyuk, Watson creates space for them.

Tkachuk-Tierney-Brown
Paul-White-Dadonov
Stutzle-Norris-Batherson
Galchenyuk-Brown-Watson
Paquette

Not sure if that's ideal, I'd have different lines as I proposed in the past but based on DJ's choices, maybe it makes sense.

At least the "personnel" decisions have been on the right track compared to the beginning of the season.

Congrats to Murray for the shutout. Unfortunately, he takes the loss....

Too bad, it was an exciting 3rd period!

Hogberg took the Loss

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Batherson had his best game in a while. He was completely engaged BOTH sides of the puck. DJ won’t reward the kids if they aren’t developing their full game. DJ will have more patience when the kids struggle offensively but they need to keep working on their habits. Norris for example has struggled offensively but he has improved his defensive play so he is still getting minutes. The kids get held to a higher standard because they are developing and they are the future. I know people don’t want to give any credit to DJ for White’s vastly improved play but he is a different player since the wake up call and now DJ fully trusts him.

Compared to what? How he finished 2020 or How he played 2 games on the 4th line with our crap defense , and paquette, in spot duty after sitting out G1 , G3, G5, G6
G2 vs the Leafs the entire team was eaten alive basically 30-70 SCF%
G4 White had 7 minutes of ice .. again in spot duty

So getting a chance up the lineup he performed better. White got stronger in the off season.. his additional strength has added to his ability to come off the wall with the puck in battles much more. His board play overall is better. White had an off year a good part of 2019/20 but finished very strong. He is a young player still taking steps in his development through work put in on his game.

Credit to DJ? I think you are under crediting White and natural progression..\

Look if you want a player that can stand still and handle the puck better you take Anisimov.. Maybe even at 3/4 speed puck drills and 80% practice scrimmages ..Anisimov may handle the puck more impressively... but when camp broke and the games started it was pretty clear Anisimov could not keep up even though DJ fed him more offensive zone starts. This was a garbage evaluation .. Anyone saying White needed a wake up call is guessing to his discredit.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Its nice to get the reps in to work through your mistakes. Wolanin wasnt afforded that luxury, its also no suprise that Reilly looks better when Zub is his partner. He was good last night but #2 makes it easy on his partner.

Zub. I really can’t get over how competent he is, I feel like I don’t want to overhype here but...the details of his game are better than any other D we have - including Chabot.
He facilitates so many small plays that have a huge impact; tight gap control, jumps up (not necessarily the rush a lot but into the gaps to intercept pucks block lanes/stuff plays) - then turn them up ice with short smart passes, his body position and puck protection.

He’s so smart. How can he be this good?

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Yeah , with lucky bounce , we can play for 500 this year

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Compared to what? How he finished 2020 or How he played 2 games on the 4th line with our crap defense , and paquette, in spot duty after sitting out G1 , G3, G5, G6
G2 vs the Leafs the entire team was eaten alive basically 30-70 SCF%
G4 White had 7 minutes of ice .. again in spot duty

So getting a chance up the lineup he performed better. White got stronger in the off season.. his additional strength has added to his ability to come off the wall with the puck in battles much more. His board play overall is better. White had an off year a good part of 2019/20 but finished very strong. He is a young player still taking steps in his development through work put in on his game.

Credit to DJ? I think you are under crediting White and natural progression..\

Look if you want a player that can stand still and handle the puck better you take Anisimov.. Maybe even at 3/4 speed puck drills and 80% practice scrimmages ..Anisimov may handle the puck more impressively... but when camp broke and the games started it was pretty clear Anisimov could not keep up even though DJ fed him more offensive zone starts. This was a garbage evaluation .. Anyone saying White needed a wake up call is guessing to his discredit.
Compared to him not moving his feet or being engaged physically. I realize you will never give credit to anything anyone in this org does because you are smarter than all of them and that you know all the players personally and what it takes to get through to them, but the fact is this is the best hockey of White’s career including his rookie season. That’s the only fact, everything else is just our own speculation.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Compared to him not moving his feet or being engaged physically. I realize you will never give credit to anything anyone in this org does because you are smarter than all of them and that you know all the players personally and what it takes to get through to them, but the fact is this is the best hockey of White’s career including his rookie season. That’s the only fact, everything else is just our own speculation.
Obviously not smarter than you though

Reactions: bert and Gesus

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The team played a very good last two periods. If not for Hogberg being completely lost out there it would have been a different story.

Zub has looked so smooth and effective out there. This guy is looking like a great pick up.

Norris looks like he could use a rest. Tough being a rookie in the NHL at anytime but this year has to be super difficult.

Very nice game for Dadonov, White and Paul. They all played great. Possession beasts.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Zub. I really can’t get over how competent he is, I feel like I don’t want to overhype here but...the details of his game are better than any other D we have - including Chabot.
He facilitates so many small plays that have a huge impact; tight gap control, jumps up (not necessarily the rush a lot but into the gaps to intercept pucks block lanes/stuff plays) - then turn them up ice with short smart passes, his body position and puck protection.

He’s so smart. How can he be this good?

And how could our staff not have noticed this before desperation made them play the guy?

It's staggering that ANYONE, much less an NHL coach or GM, could think that in 2021 Brayden Coburn or Josh Brown was a better defenseman than Zub.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We lost. But we lost with heart. So arent we really the winners?

We shutout McDavid and Draisaitl so who’s the real winners :yo:

At least they've been playing better and games aren't lopsided like they were a week or so ago. Senators had the shot advantage. Just need to start burying more of those shots and gaining a little more scoring efficiency. I thought Mike Reilly has played pretty well over the last few games and had made some good plays defensively even.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
And how could our staff not have noticed this before desperation made them play the guy?

It's staggering that ANYONE, much less an NHL coach or GM, could think that in 2021 Brayden Coburn or Josh Brown was a better defenseman than Zub.
Coaching staffs and GMs have always given more leeway to people with NHL experience over those without. Even Karlsson went down to the AHL, it's not a judgement of their skill/talent/capabilities, it's just an oversimplified approach that exists with all NHL teams.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Great game by the kids we are really starting to play better hockey imo we completely outplayed Edmonton if we had a steady goalie in net we would of came out with the W.

The only downside of that game imo was that horrendous 4min pp. We should of generated a lot more the 1st line didnt seem to get going until there 2nd go around. We definitely have the skill on that top unit i just hope we get a bit more structure and tenacity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad