Post-Game Talk: Sens lose 3-2 to EDM

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Compared to what? How he finished 2020 or How he played 2 games on the 4th line with our crap defense , and paquette, in spot duty after sitting out G1 , G3, G5, G6
G2 vs the Leafs the entire team was eaten alive basically 30-70 SCF%
G4 White had 7 minutes of ice .. again in spot duty

So getting a chance up the lineup he performed better. White got stronger in the off season.. his additional strength has added to his ability to come off the wall with the puck in battles much more. His board play overall is better. White had an off year a good part of 2019/20 but finished very strong. He is a young player still taking steps in his development through work put in on his game.

Credit to DJ? I think you are under crediting White and natural progression..\

Look if you want a player that can stand still and handle the puck better you take Anisimov.. Maybe even at 3/4 speed puck drills and 80% practice scrimmages ..Anisimov may handle the puck more impressively... but when camp broke and the games started it was pretty clear Anisimov could not keep up even though DJ fed him more offensive zone starts. This was a garbage evaluation .. Anyone saying White needed a wake up call is guessing to his discredit.
Interesting similarity in thinking between that poster and another one (RS). Probably just a coincidence.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Zub. I really can’t get over how competent he is, I feel like I don’t want to overhype here but...the details of his game are better than any other D we have - including Chabot.
He facilitates so many small plays that have a huge impact; tight gap control, jumps up (not necessarily the rush a lot but into the gaps to intercept pucks block lanes/stuff plays) - then turn them up ice with short smart passes, his body position and puck protection.

He’s so smart. How can he be this good?

Finding a Zub doesn’t feel very Senators.

Playing a Zub only when our hand was forced does though.

He is looking really good. And a right hand shot! Glad he is RFA and expansion exempt.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Man, you guys are so clever. What a pity your talents are wasted on endless amounts of low quality shitposting.
Jesus man, it is a flippin joke. They exchanged some firy sarcasm and I joined in. Most around here is a know it all that thinks their opinion is gospel, this is not some huge shocking accusation, its just noting human nature. Why do you always seem so pissed off?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Coaching staffs and GMs have always given more leeway to people with NHL experience over those without. Even Karlsson went down to the AHL, it's not a judgement of their skill/talent/capabilities, it's just an oversimplified approach that exists with all NHL teams.

Erik Karlsson was a string bean 165 pound defenseman who played a high risk game.

Big difference between him and Zub, who is 25 and a solid 200 pounds. Also the D who were on the team in 2009 were better and more in their prime than Josh Brown and Brayden Coburn (although not by that much).

Even with that, they didn't send Zub anywhere to "get experience". They put him on the taxi squad. No experience to be gained there.

Whatever the method of assessment that caused Coburn and company to make the team over Zub was, it was heavily flawed. I'm glad it's been addressed but it was one of a series of poor lineup decisions that basically helped to torpedo any semblance of competitiveness this team had this season.

Reactions: DrEasy and cudi

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tkachuk - Norris - Stützle
Paul - L. Brown - Batherson
Formenton - White - Dadonov
C. Brown - Tierny - Watson
I dont know how you break up Paul-White-Dadonov right now they have been consistently pretty great together. Tkachuk and Norris arent doing it together this is what id go with.

Tkachuk L. Brown C. Brown
Paul White Dadonov
Stuetzle Tierney Batherson
Galchenyuk Stepan Watson

Id switch in Norris for Stepan if he struggles again. Just dont want to diminish the asset too much. I think Norris sitting out one game wouldnt be the worst thing for him.

Man, you guys are so clever. What a pity your talents are wasted on endless amounts of low quality shitposting.
Coming from you this is rich.

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I dont know how you break up Paul-White-Dadonov right now they have been consistently pretty great together. Tkachuk and Norris arent doing it together this is what id go with.

Tkachuk L. Brown C. Brown
Paul White Dadonov
Stuetzle Tierney Batherson
Galchenyuk Stepan Watson

Id switch in Norris for Stepan if he struggles again. Just dont want to diminish the asset too much. I think Norris sitting out one game wouldnt be the worst thing for him.

Agreed. That line has been awesome of late. By the end of February I want to see that same top 9 with a fourth line:

Formenton - Norris - Watson

As time goes on you shift Norris and Formenton up for people who might be struggling game to game.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Erik Karlsson was a string bean 165 pound defenseman who played a high risk game.

Big difference between him and Zub, who is 25 and a solid 200 pounds. Also the D who were on the team in 2009 were better and more in their prime than Josh Brown and Brayden Coburn (although not by that much).

Even with that, they didn't send Zub anywhere to "get experience". They put him on the taxi squad. No experience to be gained there.

Whatever the method of assessment that caused Coburn and company to make the team over Zub was, it was heavily flawed. I'm glad it's been addressed but it was one of a series of poor lineup decisions that basically helped to torpedo any semblance of competitiveness this team had this season.

And where exactly would they send him?

You can say what you want about Karlsson's size but he's just one example of many, many players with no NHL experience breaking into the league who play less in favour of more established players. Even when that player is so much more talented than the guys getting their minutes. Every single team does it.

Zub's getting minutes now and, unfortunately, since there's no way to rewind the clock and see what would have happened by putting him into the lineup from day 1, it's tough to argue one way or the other which handling of the situation would have been better.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Good news everyone, the GMs analysis on last nights loss is that they likely would have won if we had more veterans because kids were responsible.

also Morgan Reilly paired with Zub has been perhaps our best defenceman over the past 4 games.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Just watched the game...

Looks like the young guys f***ed up another strong veteran outing. Sucks to see guys like Mike Reilly, Derek Stepan and Evgenii Dadonov bust their ass to get the team back on track only to have entitled youngsters like Hogberg, Batherson, Norris and Wolanin ruin it for them.

Gonna need a little more veteran presence when they head out on the road.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Just watched the game...

Looks like the young guys f***ed up another strong veteran outing. Sucks to see guys like Mike Reilly, Derek Stepan and Evgenii Dadonov bust their ass to get the team back on track only to have entitled youngsters like Hogberg, Batherson, Norris and Wolanin ruin it for them.

Gonna need a little more veteran presence when they head out on the road.

It's why they waived Anisimov. They want him motivated for the big minutes he's going to get on this road trip.

Reactions: Ouroboros

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Good news everyone, the GMs analysis on last nights loss is that they likely would have won if we had more veterans because kids were responsible.

also Morgan Reilly paired with Zub has been perhaps our best defenceman over the past 4 games.

You sure?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Ottawa has found a keeper in Artem Zub RD, he is not flashy as I've said before, but very solid in all three zones. He is extremely poised with the puck, doesn't panic when pressured & gets the puck out of the zone quickly & effectively. He has good size at 6'2" & 190 lbs so he doesn't get pushed around in the D- Zone & is much more physical than I thought he would be.

I think we all need to pencil him into any future roster spots, he's been better than most of the defencemen on this team this yr especially in his own zone. With four other guys who speak Russian on this team, he seems to have fit in quite nicely on this roster & he definitely fills a need on this team moving forward at RD. Solid acquisition.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think Ottawa has found a keeper in Artem Zub RD, he is not flashy as I've said before, but very solid in all three zones. He is extremely poised with the puck, doesn't panic when pressured & gets the puck out of the zone quickly & effectively. He has good size at 6'2" & 190 lbs so he doesn't get pushed around in the D- Zone & is much more physical than I thought he would be.

I think we all need to pencil him into any future roster spots, he's been better than most of the defencemen on this team this yr especially in his own zone. With four other guys who speak Russian on this team, he seems to have fit in quite nicely on this roster & he definitely fills a need on this team moving forward at RD. Solid acquisition.

It's still early, but he's looked much better than other, previous short-burning bright flames like Jaros, Lajoie, etc.

Time to sign him to a 7x4.5m deal?

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

Every training camp is the same. Rookies fighting for spots come in a million miles an hour, while vets go through the motions to get ready for the season. It's tough to assess players like that, especially when you don't get a preseason to give coaches a chance to assess players under pressure.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It's still early, but he's looked much better than other, previous short-burning bright flames like Jaros, Lajoie, etc.

Time to sign him to a 7x4.5m deal?

Is that not what the Leafs basically did with Zaitsev, and up until this season, it was considered one of the worst contracts in the league?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Is that not what the Leafs basically did with Zaitsev, and up until this season, it was considered one of the worst contracts in the league?

thatsthejoke.jpg

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
You sure?

I don’t remember the exact quote but he absolutely said that Reilly was one of their best Dman over the last 4 games while paired with Zub.

Reilly has literally had one good game and it was the last one. Zub has been great in all 4

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Every training camp is the same. Rookies fighting for spots come in a million miles an hour, while vets go through the motions to get ready for the season. It's tough to assess players like that, especially when you don't get a preseason to give coaches a chance to assess players under pressure.

Spoken like a true veteran Trent :)
Though I thought I only get to see you if the topic was “expected points by a 2nd line player, and why it isn’t what you think it is.”
Cheers

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t remember the exact quote but he absolutely said that Reilly was one of their best Dman over the last 4 games while paired with Zub.

Reilly has literally had one good game and it was the last one. Zub has been great in all 4
He was pointing out you said Morgan lol

Reactions: RaMai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad