Proposal: Sens-Lightning

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Doesn't make sense for either side, really.
Ya, the OP as it was proposed doesn't address TBL needs because they need to move a player with cap to meet their cap woes.

And Ottawa, who is rebuilding, doesn't need an older player with a longer contract.

Not a good fit for either team really.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Not sure why people are saying this is terrible for Tampa. This trade is heavily tilted towards them.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Apparently it doesn't matter what you produce at the AHL level, if you don't make the NHL full-time by 22 you're a bust.

Too bad. I had high hopes for him and Batherson too. I assume so did Tampa with ABB, Raddysh, Katchouk, Volkov, etc...
Volkov has his name on the cup. Also, if Brown can't crack the Sens roster being that good in the AHL, that is more a knock on him. He stands no chance cracking Tampa's if he can't even make the Sens.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Why on earth would the Sens with Stultze, Norris, and Pinto coming use assets to acquire Cirelli?!
Nice player, and also completely redundant and a poor use of assets.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I have no interest in this as a Sens fan.

I like Cirelli as a player, but he’s not moving the needle that much. Who knows how he performs without the insulation he gets on Tampa.

If I’m Ottawa, I’m keeping as many of my assets as possible to put into a much bigger package if a guy like Barkov or Laine becomes available.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
ding ding ding.

Coming from an Ottawa fan.

Tampa says no

Imagine trading a proven 50 point Drouin for an unproven Sergachev.

It doesn't mean anything that Brannstrom and Brown aren't full time NHLers. They are still young guys with a bunch of talent. If they would be proven they would be looking for a payday just like Cirelli is and Tampa would consequently not even be able to acquire them because they are well over the cap. Not only that, but if Ottawa had a proven player making minimal salary they wouldn't trade him. Cirelli was at one point unproven as well. Teams make trades for unproven players all the time. Even Ottawa traded Mark Stone, Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman, Ryan Dzingel and Matt Duchene for what was/is mostly all question marks. Question marks with a lot of talent and potential to be impact NHLers though. Make no mistake, no one is trading their proven player on a ELC contract to Tampa just to help them out with their cap situation. Finding proven impact players on ELC (or low salary) is pretty much impossible via trade and if you can the price is astronomical even in a normal and stable financial situation.

Tampa has no cap space. They will have to trade players for picks or prospects whether that is Killorn, Johnson, Palat, Cirelli or whoever they want. It's not a choice at this point, it's just the only way any deal with them can work really. They can't take on any salary, so they need picks and prospects to keep replacing these Killorn/Johnson/Palat type players they won't be able to retain in future years..

Brannstrom and L.Brown are two very very good prospects on the cusp of making their full-time jump to the NHL, probably in 2 weeks. Maybe they would prefer different prospects and that's fine but the value is there. I still think Tampa figures out a way to keep Cirelli by trading other guys and adding incentives though.

Of course all of this is said assuming they don't put Kuch/Stamkos on LTIR.

Last edited:

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Tampa doesn't go near this.

Cirelli has proven himself, shut down tremendous lines en route to a Stanley Cup.

What have these other two done? OOOH, THEIR POTENTIAL IS HIGH. This site is obsessed with teenager potential.

Don't care about that NHL 21 trade value crap. Pass.

Reactions: copperlion

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Tampa doesn't go near this.

Cirelli has proven himself, shut down tremendous lines en route to a Stanley Cup.

What have these other two done? OOOH, THEIR POTENTIAL IS HIGH. This site is obsessed with teenager potential.

Don't care about that NHL 21 trade value crap. Pass.

Lol I mean it's a pretty ironic comment when you look at Tampa and see they did that exact same type of trade about 4 years ago by sending a 53 point NHL player for a teenager with potential and that teenager with potential is their best upcoming Dman and you're probably real happy to have him on your team.

Guess any trade that includes prospects and picks is a NHL21 trade for you.

How do you think Tampa will get cap compliant?! They will have to trade actual NHL players for picks and prospects or as you call them teenagers. I'm not saying Tampa should trade Cirelli at all, and certainly not for these players specifically, but the notion that Tampa will be able to acquire proven NHLers when simultaneously trying to shed cap is pretty idiotic. If I have a player nearly as good as Cirelli making 800K for 1 or 2 more seasons there's no way I trade that player for Cirelli under this economy.

What do you think is a trade that makes sense for Cirelli where Tampa could get the following:

- No cap added
- Proven impact NHL player

What you're looking for is essentially another Cirelli but one that's gonna be making way less money.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

copperlion

Aug 6, 2019
Lol I mean it's a pretty ironic comment when you look at Tampa and see they did that exact same type of trade about 4 years ago by sending a 53 point NHL player for a teenager with potential and that teenager with potential is their best upcoming Dman and you're probably real happy to have him on your team.

Guess any trade that includes prospects and picks is a NHL21 trade for you.

How do you think Tampa will get cap compliant?! They will have to trade actual NHL players for picks and prospects or as you call them teenagers. I'm not saying Tampa should trade Cirelli at all, and certainly not for these players specifically, but the notion that Tampa will be able to acquire proven NHLers when simultaneously trying to shed cap is pretty idiotic. If I have a player nearly as good as Cirelli making 800K for 1 or 2 more seasons there's no way I trade that player for Cirelli under this economy.

What do you think is a trade that makes sense for Cirelli where Tampa could get the following:

- No cap added
- Proven impact NHL player

What you're looking for is essentially another Cirelli but one that's gonna be making way less money.

The difference is that management saw in Drouin what you're seeing now - a player with all the skills in the world but without the work ethic. Also you're forgetting Sergachev was a blue chip prospect who went straight from Juniors into the NHL unlike Brown or Brannstrom, who have been toiling away in the AHL.

You need guys like Anthony Cirelli to win, guys who put the team ahead of themselves and play against the toughest matchups night in, night out. I don't know if you watch Cirelli play, but this guy hustles, breaks up plays in the Offensive and Neutral Zone, PKs, creates havoc, and open up the ice for TBLs skilled players. You would be happy if Brown turns out to be 75% as good as Cirelli

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
You need guys like Anthony Cirelli to win, guys who put the team ahead of themselves and play against the toughest matchups night in, night out. /QUOTE]

Is it possible that you have a player of this ilk already in the system given that the Senators have a deep pool of prospects? Cleverness is good, patience is better, and timing is important. I'd guess the Senators are not thinking deep playoff run this year (quite possibly not next year as well).

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Brown is playing at a ppg pace his first two years in the AHL improving each season what a terrible valuation. Dont want to waste a contract lol, just garbage.
Right, and do tell me, where exactly does he fit in the lineup? I know you're big on just making trades like you're on xbox, but where do you think he slots in with Tampas lineup? He won't be on the third line unless one of Gourde/Goodrow/Coleman get shipped out, he might get some time on the 4th if/when Paq gets hurt because he does every year, but he'll have to battle Raddysh for that last spot and forgive me for not being overly excited with these numbers.

But hey, maybe he can hit 5 goals for you guys this season since your cheap f*** owner won't pay anyone. Honestly, I can't think of any situation where a trade with Ottawa will make sense because of this very reason (and sorry, I know that sucks - we did that ownership dance too).

upload_2020-12-23_17-50-59.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad