Proposal: Sens-Lightning

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Any trade involving Cirelli would pretty much have to be insured by a 3rd team taking Johnson and those assets to preserve our loss of additional roster players and our own 2021 1R pick

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Not sure how this taxi squad can or will be used to circumvent our cap issues
You can bury up to 1.075 million of a players contract on the taxi squad. Moving Johnson, Coburn and couple over there will get us under the cap. It basically means we potentially only have to move Killorn to get Cernak and Cirelli signed and consistently have musical chairs with players on the taxi squad and main roster.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Again, that's asinine. We need to move money to sign Cirelli and Cernak. By get 2 magic beans for now isn't going to solve the cap problem now. If it comes down to move Cirelli, it's going to be packaged with Johnson or Killorn. We will take a little less to send the contract with it. It's stupid to think "Hey, let's move Cirelli, and still be in the same spot you are now." But you know, who needs logic.
If you can move enough money without giving up important assets you are right it’s asinine. But we don’t know that can happen. Since this thread started it became official. The league starts a 56 game regular season schedule Jan 13. It won’t be long before we know what the lesser of the evils is

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
You can bury up to 1.075 million of a players contract on the taxi squad. Moving Johnson, Coburn and couple over there will get us under the cap. It basically means we potentially only have to move Killorn to get Cernak and Cirelli signed and consistently have musical chairs with players on the taxi squad and main roster.
That might be the ticket

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

Burying them on the taxi squad is no different than burying them in the minors. It hasn’t changed your cap situation one iota.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That is the point read the above post Trading Cirelli alone does not make sense and if you look Tampa is out of options to clear the amount of cap they need to. Unless they find a home for Killorn and Johnson. So this proposal Ses get the best of the deal and Tampa gets no cap relief. I can not make it more simple.
Yes, of course, Tampa needs to clear cap. Agreed.

The OP did not make sense to me either.

Your counter proposal didn't either. That's why I asked if you were serious about TJ for L Brown and Brännström.

Will be interesting to see who TBL moves and for what.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Burying them on the taxi squad is no different than burying them in the minors. It hasn’t changed your cap situation one iota.

The only benefit of the taxi squad is to be able to run a 20-man roster at all times, and it looks like that'll save around $2-2.5M if Coburn is one of those guys. That will only save us Paquette, but hey, I'll take it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol. Terrible trade for Tampa.

Can someone tell me what they project Cirelli to be?

How is 21 year old PPG AHL center last 2 years and one of the best defensive prospects in the game poor value for TB for what is an elite 3rd line/2b center.

Mind you, this is the same defensive prospect who was centrepiece in trade for Mark Stone.

Reactions: bert

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016

How is 21 year old PPG AHL center last 2 years and one of the best defensive prospects in the game poor value for TB for what is an elite 3rd line/2b center.

Mind you, this is the same defensive prospect who was centrepiece in trade for Mark Stone.
The issue is if Tampa trades Cirelli the deal will almost certainly include TJ. That would pretty much solve all the Lightning cap issues. Atleast would come close.

Reactions: Altimus

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Trading that kind of package for Cirelli would be buying high on him in a serious way.

He had a great year, but I don't know if he'll keep it up and make him worth two potential studs.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
What do people think of a trade centred around Cernak and Brannstrom? Not advocating for it - just kinda curious.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Project Cirelli to be? He was fourth I believe in Selke votes this year. There is no projection, we know what he is. One of the best shut down centres in the NHL.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Tampa:

Brannstrom
Logan Brown

Sens:

Cirelli

I think Cirelli would fit in well with the Sens

Stutzle
Cirelli
Norris

If I’m Tampa, I’d counter that at Brannstrom for Cernak. It’s not a great fit player for player for Tampa as these two are nothing alike, but Tampa gets a kid on year 1 of his ECL and he’s a nice defensive prospect. Ottawa adds a top 4 RHD that does PK. One Player for one player. A pure hockey trade. Tampa buys the ECL of an A- prospect. A risk but not a huge one.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Honestly, Ottawa doesnt need another centre right now. We need to shore up our defences. We have a lot of potential forwards but lack game breaker dmen.

Reactions: bert

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Honestly, Ottawa doesnt need another centre right now. We need to shore up our defences. We have a lot of potential forwards but lack game breaker dmen.

Sanderson, Chabot, Brannstrom all are or have top pairing potential.
Lassi Thompson and Bernard Docker both look like top 4 D. So I honestly think its the opposite. You guys need more offence since Stutzle and tkachuk are the only guys who I see top line potential in. Norris is a good player and so are batherson and formenton but they aren't game changing players. On top, the upcoming draft has much more good D than forwards.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sanderson, Chabot, Brannstrom all are or have top pairing potential.
Lassi Thompson and Bernard Docker both look like top 4 D. So I honestly think its the opposite. You guys need more offence since Stutzle and tkachuk are the only guys who I see top line potential in. Norris is a good player and so are batherson and formenton but they aren't game changing players. On top, the upcoming draft has much more good D than forwards.

I think there's different opinions around. Defense defenitely looks set with Chabot, Sanderson, JBD, Brannstrom, maybe Wolanin and then another filler. Thomson is looking on the outside right now, had a rough time last season and this one. I think we still need Brannstrom and he has the potential to really be a good piece in a top 4 here.

At center though, we have Stutzle potentially, Brown, Norris, White, Pinto and then we also have Tierney under contract for 2 years and Nick Paul is a natural center as well. Definitely, there could be a spot for Cirelli and you just swap one of Norris or Pinto to the wing but it's getting crowded. I'd like to see this type of deal, although I don't think Ottawa should give up Brown and Brannstrom that's too rich.

Last edited:

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I mean Logan Brown doesn't have a ton of value right now.. he has been a prospect long enough and not produced. Brannstrom was a bit underwhelming but he still holds blue chip value.

Cirelli is a selke nominated center but also an RFA who doesn't have a contract which diminishes his value based on the unknown of his future contract(if you can sign him to a reasonable deal).

I dont think either side likes this deal TBH mostly cause Sens fans myself included are high on Brannstrom(likely cause he was traded for Stone).

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
How much does attaching the Johnson contract to any deal lower the value of Cirelli? I see this seems to be the Lightning fans preferred option if trading Cirelli is needed to become cap compliant. I could see the offer being for a 2nd and a B prospect. Not sure I would want that anchor attached to one of my young assets if I'm TB.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I just don't care for the value of that. Brannstrom is okay, but Brown is meh and just takes a contract spot. If Ottawa needs D, though, there might be a deal to be made.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brown is playing at a ppg pace his first two years in the AHL improving each season what a terrible valuation. Dont want to waste a contract lol, just garbage.

Apparently it doesn't matter what you produce at the AHL level, if you don't make the NHL full-time by 22 you're a bust.

Too bad. I had high hopes for him and Batherson too. I assume so did Tampa with ABB, Raddysh, Katchouk, Volkov, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad