Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Leafs Feb 1. (7 p.m. Eastern) - Mod Warning: Post 471

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He definitely did turn though

Some of you guys need to accept that and, combined with the fact that he admitted it and was not hurt, Kadri will get a congratulary message from the NHL

It stink to high hell but what can you do

Ceci, bless his heart, most certainly turned his back to Kadri so there isn't much the league is going to be able to do

They need the extra push to suspend someone on Toronto. They suspend when they can't ignore and Ceci gave them all the reasons they needed to wipe their hands of it

Lessons learned for Cody: don't do that

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
7. Being unable to stay out of penalty box. Although the refs were generally poor, most of those penalties would have been called.

Ian Mendes made an important comment about the Sens being unable to win meaningful games against the Leafs. The last meaningful game that I recall was the game leading into the 2008 playoffs when the Sens confirmed their playoff position in a win over the Leafs but at the same time lost any hope of going anywhere because the Leafs injured both Fisher and Alfredsson in that game. I cannot remember once winning those meaningful games except that one time but the Leafs had the last laugh even in that one.

Ian Mendes is just saying what Bruce Garrioch has said many times I think it is mostly bunk.

I think Ottawa comes out on the plus side of the regular season meetings with the Leafs and I dont believe that all the times they won didn't count whereas all the times the leafs won, counted.

Mendes said that for the last 10 years or so Ottawa usually won against the Leafs early in the season but not after February; however for 8 years or so the Leafs didn't make the playoffs and once they were out and the pressure was off they won a few games.Those games usually counted for very little.

Mendes is starting to get really irritating with this stuff.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
There is a simple explanation for last nights lost.

No emotion after Kadri hit.
It's pathetic, your teammate gets hit like that and you have no emotional response besides the immediate one?
That is a joke. If my teammate were hit like that, I'd be furious and laying the body twice as hard and skating like a fire is up my ***.
They'd played with no emotion after that hit, last night's performance was embarrassing.

Agreed.

However, I think Spezza deserves a bit of a leash considering it's his first year as C, and he's recovering from injuries.

But, at the end of the day, he wanted to be captain, he got it. As a captain, it doesn't matter what the adjustment is, you have to make adjustments to help the team win because you're the captain. If you don't want to make the adjustment, strip the C off.
When you're team is down, or just simply playing with little emotion or just crapping all over the ice, the captain has to be THE guy that will turn into an absolute workhorse and go out there show what the team needs to do to win hockey games.
It's not about dangling defenceman, sniping goalies or making eye-popping plays.
It's just about the little things, skating 200 feet with 110% effort, getting physical and just showing that you hate losing and care about winning.
I didn't get this last night, and I probably never will.
Kadri makes an unprofessional hit on Ceci, goal is scored, scrum ensues.
Then after that, nothing. Like what the ****?
Are you serious? Your teammate could've been seriously injured and you don't respond for rest of the game with any damn emotion?
I don't see anyones face on the bench that is angry (might've missed some).
What the fudge man, these guys got to the NHL because they are competitors, where is their spirit now?
I remember PM making that comment, frustration into anger is what he wants. He clearly isn't getting it from his players. That response, personally I found it embarrassing.

I'm not gonna say Spezza isn't trying, because that is unfair.

I like to assume he is trying, and he probably is, but it's not showing on the ice and when it doesn't show on the ice, it's meaningless.
Unless he can instill a culture of the above into his game, I personally don't see him fit for a C.
I honestly hate it when someone becomes C because of his leadership in the locker room.
That is worthless unless it translates on to the ice. If it doesn't translate on to the ice, that off-ice leadership means nothing if it can't impact your team's play on the ice.

But again, personally I'm willing to give him a leash considering these circumstances:

1. Almost everybody on the team is inconsistent/not playing to expectations
2. Can't blame one guy, even if he is the captain, the blame is also on his teammates and his fellow "veterans"/
3. He is recovering from injuries
4. I highly doubt his conditioning is good.

Look at this post. Look at it.

This is a new poster coming in and laying down a bunch of truthiness. Bless your heart, Cookies, for being a new voice up in here and not shying away from making an excellent point/ post.

Cookies is vying for "Rookie Of The Year" amongst HFSens posters with this one post alone. Stick around, man. You're most definitely welcome here.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

This is a new poster coming in and laying down a bunch of truthiness. Bless your heart, Cookies, for being a new voice up in here and not shying away from making an excellent point/ post.

Cookies is vying for "Rookie Of The Year" amongst HFSens posters with this one post alone. Stick around, man. You're most definitely welcome here.

Let's see if cookies can keep it up over an entire season. Anyone can look competitive in half a regular season.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
Where is the freakin Kadri suspension for that boarding hit from behind on Ceci?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

He just basically took what has already been said in the thread and posted it into one post :sarcasm:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Don't get too far ahead of yourself, by the time he gets to 1000 posts he'll just be putting up posts that just quote someone else and add "This" at the end. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, yeah, it was a good, truthy, post. One of my favourite moments as a Sens fan was in the playoff series against the Rangers when Carkner put a beating on Boyle for roughing up Karlsson. Say what you will about taking the penalty, but Boyle quickly learned that you don't touch our young stars. Period, end of discussion.

One of my least favourite moments as a Sens fan was last night, when no one did anything to Kadri past a dirty look (and even that may not have happened). Neil gets a pass I guess because he is a goal scorer now, but WTF? You don't have to knock out all of Kadri's teeth, but you have to send a message that this sort of stuff is not allowed. Not doing so means someone else is at risk of the exact same play next game, and that someone else may be Karlsson.

I'm not old school about everything, or even a lot of things, that are hockey related. But I do appreciate the fact that you stand up for your own guys and make sure that cheap shot artists personally pay a price when they act like dicks. Any team that does not understand this, and put it into action, will get eaten alive in the playoffs when **** gets real.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Bad decisions and indecision from the top trickle down to the ice.
It is that simple.
Bryan Murray has no balls as a gm. The team has no balls on the ice.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They need the extra push to suspend someone on Toronto.

Suspensions by team, 13/14:

1. TOR: 6 (22gms)
2. BUF: 3 (20gms)
3. VAN: 3 (14gms)
4. PIT: 2 (10gms)
5. PHX: 2 (5gms)
6. TB: 2 (5gms)
7. BOS: 1 (15gms)
8. DET: 1 (4gms)
9. COL: 1 (5gms)
10. STL: 1 (5gms)
11. DAL: 1 (5gms)
12. CLB: 1 (3gms)
13. FLA: 1 (3gms)
14. WPG: 1 (3gms)
15. SJS: 1 (3gms)
16. NYI: 1 (2gms)
17. CAR: 1 (2gms)
18. EDM: 1 (2gms)
19. OTT: 1 (2gms)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Now imagine what it would be if they really went after them!

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
You twisted and turned so far to make this about BM that you can probably manage to bite yourself on the ass by the time you hit "submit reply". Impressive.

Thank you.
The point was there is so much misdirected finger pointing with solutions involving replacing 1 or 2 players when it should be UNtwisted and uncomplicated so that the blame lands on owner and gm.
Those two will always screw it up.

kbuzz

Oct 2, 2011
Montréal, QC
I'm so incredible sick of losing to Toronto in such lame fashion. We have all that talent, backed up by a fanbase so hungry for a victory after 6 loses, and they mail it in like an afternoon game against Columbus.

This team does not deserve to make the playoffs, and don't deserve us as fans with that kind of performance. Love my sens and will never jump to another team, but why even bother watching hockey if we're only going to get more of last night? Call me butthurt, but I can't accept any lose to Toronto given our history.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He definitely did turn though

Some of you guys need to accept that and, combined with the fact that he admitted it and was not hurt, Kadri will get a congratulary message from the NHL

It stink to high hell but what can you do

Ceci, bless his heart, most certainly turned his back to Kadri so there isn't much the league is going to be able to do

They need the extra push to suspend someone on Toronto. They suspend when they can't ignore and Ceci gave them all the reasons they needed to wipe their hands of it

Lessons learned for Cody: don't do that

Virtually every hit from behind play I have seen in the past 5 years the hitee has turned into the boards 1-3 seconds before the hit. That never stopped a suspension from happening before.

Besides, the turn into the boards happened early enough for any normal-thinking player to have plenty of time to hold up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree totally. I like Spezza and am glad he's on the team. I was supportive of him being captain as I was hoping that it would drive him to make some changes to his game. I don't mean playing more D, I don't care about that. I wanted him to be more aggressive in his play.

He doesn't often play like that so it was a long shot, but I wanted to see if he could do it. You're right, it is early, I just think that he will likely not be able to provide the one ice drive needed from our captain. We have a young team, and they need to SEE how they need to play, they need to be made to play a certain way.

I'm willing to be patient, and even look elsewhere for that character because I think he deserves a shot to grow into the role, but man was that a sad display by the team in general, and the blame for that will always fall on the captain.

Agreed...to a point.

I have a bit of patience because of the injury, but that's it.

As for the idea of growing into the role....not really a whole lot of patience there. This isn't a Toews or Landeskog instance where they give a young kid the C. Spezza is 30. He's also have the incredible benefit of watching and learning from Alfredsson for 10 years wearing that letter. Plus, Phillips and Neil have been there to lean on for most of that time and learn from as well. If there is any situation where a guy should be able to step in with a very short learning curve, it would be this one.

If I had the opportunity to apprentice under a Stephen Hawking or an Albert Einstein for a decade, I'd be damned sure to try to absorb every atom of information possible at every opportunity.

Heck, I remember Foligno spending tons of time with Kovalev after practice playing little puck games like keepaway. Nicky didn't let his opportunity go to waste. Turris made a point to spend time with Alfredsson to learn and observe.

Senafan

May 17, 2013
Don't care how 'legal' that attempt to injure was...Kadri is one of the dirtiest rats in the league. The dives, cheapshots, cowardly plays etc, should make any fanbase feel ashamed...karma's gonna be a b to that kid if he keeps it up...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't ever wish injury on other players. However, I would not feel the least bit bad if someone went out and injured Kadri. He's a talented player, but in his short NHL career he's already done some very questionable things that haven't been punished as harshly as they should have been (especially that **** with Backstrom & Granlund that was disgusting).

It's too bad that they have so many provisions in place to stop something like Bertuzzi/Moore from happening again. It certainly feels like more players are getting injured/cheap shotted since they tried to stop enforcers from really doing their jobs. I for one would absolutely love to see someone chase Kadri down and beat the snot out of him on the ice.

Oh well.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009

citizen-kane-clapping.jpg

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

zeke, can we see those number projected over 82 games please?

lol

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Virtually every hit from behind play I have seen in the past 5 years the hitee has turned into the boards 1-3 seconds before the hit. That never stopped a suspension from happening before.

Besides, the turn into the boards happened early enough for any normal-thinking player to have plenty of time to hold up.

You're going to need to show some evidence to back that up because, according the rules, there's an argument to be made about no penalty nor suspencion due to the fact that Ceci did in fact turn.
I still expect the refs to call it a penalty because these kinds if hits are dangerous BUT I can also understand the ref missing it/thinking Ceci turned and put himself in a vulnerable position and the League saying that, in accordance to the rules, cannot suspend him

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It doesn't matter AFAIK whether it's a hit from behind or not it's still boarding.

Also Ceci was in that position long before Kadri hit him (in on-ice time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad