GDT: Sens @ Leafs - 7pm SBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Imagine Bertuzzi bumping Bobrovsky a few times in that Florida series.

This is one of the things I'm hoping we implement more into our game.

Just tonight we saw our rookie twice, get a step to the outside on the defender but not have a entirely clear lane but put his shoulder down and drove the puck directly to the front of the net and in both instances crashed into the goalie.

Now if that was our star players in that spot, way too many times they'd have probably opted to curl back and hold possession while attempting to hit the trailer with a pass.

More North-South, take the puck aggressively to the front of the crease. You'll draw more penalties and even in some cases, cause enough havok that it leaves an easy tap in for the second forward and even sometimes have the opposing defensemen push/crosscheck you into their goalie.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I'm not totally against Liljegren getting some looks at tough assignments, but which pairing is shutting down the McDavids/MacKinnons/Kucherovs?

I don't think we have that.
maybe we go
McCabe Brodie (matchup pair)
Rielly Liljegren
Giordano Klingberg (allows Klingberg to be more sheltered)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This is one of the things I'm hoping we implement more into our game.

Just tonight we saw our rookie twice, get a step to the outside on the defender but not have a entirely clear lane but put his shoulder down and drove the puck directly to the front of the net and in both instances crashed into the goalie.

Now if that was our star players in that spot, way too many times they'd have probably opted to curl back and hold possession while attempting to hit the trailer with a pass.

More North-South, take the puck aggressively to the front of the crease. You'll draw more penalties and even in some cases, cause enough havok that it leaves an easy tap in for the second forward and even sometimes have the opposing defensemen push/crosscheck you into their goalie.

I believe we’ll see all of Bertuzzi, Domi & Knies do this. Robertson as well to some extent.

Reactions: weems

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Easton Cowan gonna make it mighty tough on the Leafs me thinks.

He’ll for sure be sent back, as he should, but I think he’s going to have an impressive couple of games first

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
maybe we go
McCabe Brodie (matchup pair)
Rielly Liljegren
Giordano Klingberg (allows Klingberg to be more sheltered)

Don’t mind the look of this. Perhaps swap Brodie and Liljegren, as Liljegren’s zone exits and transition game can be useful to McCabe.

But definitely along the right lines.

i am a bit concerned we don’t currently have the cap space to carry a 7th d-man to give Giordano breaks. I am pretty certain Timmins will be claimed if we waive him.

It wouldn’t shock me if they go the Spezza route and try and sneak Giordano through waivers with the retirement threat angle lol

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I didn't watch any of Cowan during his season at London, but after last nights game, and rookie tournament, his separation speed really stood out to me and surprised me.

Normally when we've drafted prospects with high end skill(Robertson, SDA, Abruzzese, Abramov) they don't have that separation speed.

Reactions: authentic

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Matthews looked like he did last season, extremely underwhelming. He didn’t even attempt to really use his shot much yst.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I didn't watch any of Cowan during his season at London, but after last nights game, and rookie tournament, his separation speed really stood out to me and surprised me.

Normally when we've drafted prospects with high end skill(Robertson, SDA, Abruzzese, Abramov) they don't have that separation speed.
Is that what he is known for?
I know little about him but I thought he was all work ethic?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
We really must be watching a completely different player if you don't think his skating is smooth and agile. He isn't Cale Makar here but it's definitely above average. Made a few nice plays at both ends of the ice due to his skating.

People already hate Klingberg to the point where they've made up their made for some reason. It won't matter. Nothing about his game tonight suggests he was an issue... but people just want him to be one.
People already have a notion that it’s a bad signing no matter what — His defence work needs work that’s for sure, but Klingberg was brought in to bring a different element that our D lacked in the playoffs which is getting shots through and being able to skate and pass the puck. Everyone forgets Toronto couldn’t move the puck at all from the back end against Tampa or FLA.. Gio / Brodie / McCabe all struggled.

Funny enough, on the game tying goal both Klingberg and Bert did exactly what we needed from them to score.. Pointshot through and a pass from the slot to Marner from Bert

Reactions: weems

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

He’ll for sure be sent back, as he should, but I think he’s going to have an impressive couple of games first
I dunno, I think he'll be up for the duration of the pre-season/exhibition games and then sent back to London. Pretty much a 0% chance that they keep him up all season so IMO better to just let him get back there to dominate and hopefully crack a spot in the WJs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I dunno, I think he'll be up for the duration of the pre-season/exhibition games and then sent back to London. Pretty much a 0% chance that they keep him up all season so IMO better to just let him get back there to dominate and hopefully crack a spot in the WJs.
It's going to be tough enough cap wise to ice a team with him going back, agreed pretty much zero chance he stays.

Reactions: Rob Brown

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It was clear asap last night why i don't like preseason shinny skilled hockey but then game changed and both sides starting throwing some hits and game got a little better to watch .. like I told you guys last year we should have got Jakob C .. he will continue to get better .. his game has speed, skill, nastiness and he is flat out a player who was best man on ice last night .. he will be Sens best player this season not Sanderson

Well i was encouraged we have some real hockey players now in Cowan, Bertuzzi, McCabe and Gregor .. i was dead wrong about Cowan .. that was a great 1st round pick .. makes me think we call him up for our playoff run this year .. da kid can fly and he is a hockey player playing HARD on da puck and man .. no give there no matter what .. play him in junior for confidence this season and bring him into team for playoffs .. Bertuzzi is also exactly what we need .. he creates puck turnovers on da forecheck luv it .. McCabe makes wingers worry and we need more McCabes .. Gregor is also a player and i think he can slide up to 3rd line too .. plays da right way hard on puck and can skate too

Ryan policed da game from bench which was perfect .. no BS from Sens .. disappointed in other Ryan he is clearly not even close to ready

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Don’t think it’s a dilemma whatsoever. He goes back to London and he rips up juniors. Then in a year or so we could be looking at a Seth Jarvis type ELC to help us along and he’ll be roaring to go.

Reactions: Sypher04 and egd27

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Robertson has heart. Can’t help but cheer for guys like him.

Cant imagine being the third guy on the Kampf Reaves line. That line may not score a goal all year.

Marner was really good. Klingberg needs to simplify his game and not take so many needless risks. Doesn’t need to on this team. If he does that he will be fine

Was hoping to see 34 unleash a few to make me feel better about his wrist. Guess I have to wait a bit.

His stickhandling was atleast much better than last season

WSD

Feb 26, 2016
Was at the game last night and holy did Cowan impress. What you may not see on the TV broadcast is how smart he is without the puck in all three zones. Was constantly looking around to make sure he's in the right spot and supporting/covering the defensemen. Can't wait for him to prove all the critics wrong who called him a reach. Hopefully Keefe gives him some quality minutes until they send him back to London so he can dominate there... as a Kitchener Rangers fan I'm not looking forward to playing him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Klinberg is wrong guy for our Leafs .. i knew it when he signed .. we needed to spend his CAP on a tougher meaner D who strikes fear in opposing wingers

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Klinberg is wrong guy for our Leafs .. i knew it when he signed .. we needed to spend his CAP on a tougher meaner D who strikes fear in opposing wingers

Klingberg fills a clear need. I expect they’ll still get a tougher defensemen toward the deadline, because that’s also a need.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Gudbranson is around 4 million, he is the toughest and meanest, and Columbus would probably give him to us for free since he sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad