Post-Game Talk: SENS @ JETS, TSN5, Sunday 8pm

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Had a decent game. Good patience with the puck, can make some plays on the PP. Pinto, Greig, Gustavsson, Formenton, Mete all had strong games IMO.

I think Sokolov played good but he didn't stand out.
He was ok, you can see the raw ability. I don't think he is remotely close to being a finished product. He still needs to get faster. Big player still growing into his body. He should play in all situations in the AHL this year. He is gonna be a player.

Reactions: Cosmix and Boud

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was ok, you can see the raw ability. I don't think he is remotely close to being a finished product. He still needs to get faster. Big player still growing into his body. He should play in all situations in the AHL this year. He is gonna be a player.
Sokolov looked pretty sluggish at times, not sure if it was endurance related or just that his skating still needs work, probably a bit of both tbh. Still lots of promise, and I agree more AHL time is needed.

Parker Kelly looked good to me, Greig prior to the bone headed crosscheck was good too.

Ennis looked like a guy that wants that contract regardless of whether Brady signs on time or not.

Thomson looked good, no glaring issues with his decisions that o saw, which was always what had me questioning his ability to transition to the NHL.

Pinto really impressed me with how refined his game is, for a kid that picked up hockey as his primary sport late, he does a lot of the little things right.

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Agreed!

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sokolov looked pretty sluggish at times, not sure if it was endurance related or just that his skating still needs work, probably a bit of both tbh. Still lots of promise, and I agree more AHL time is needed.

Parker Kelly looked good to me, Greig prior to the bone headed crosscheck was good too.

Ennis looked like a guy that wants that contract regardless of whether Brady signs on time or not.

Thomson looked good, no glaring issues with his decisions that o saw, which was always what had me questioning his ability to transition to the NHL.

Pinto really impressed me with how refined his game is, for a kid that picked up hockey as his primary sport late, he does a lot of the little things right.
Pinto is an incredible defensive player considering how young he is, then add on such little pro experience. It's honestly unbelievable. Sticks in lanes at all times, he disrupts everything the opposition tries to do. His ability to win 1 on 1 battles is also impressive. He just has it. No way he doesn't make this team.

Formenton needs icetime and reps. His speed creates lots of issues for the oppositions d core. You can tell he makes them nervous. I think he could break out this year.

Ennis is a good depth player. However if this team is healthy he shouldn't play. There is no way he should he playing ahead of Paul or Formenton on the third line. As a 4th line I'd rather see more physicality. This is how I see it.

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Stuetzle Pinto C Brown
Formenton Paul White
Sanford Tierney Watson
Ennis

Did Greig get benched after his penalty?

Last edited:

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Pinto is an incredible defensive player considering how young he is, then add on such little pro experience. It's honestly unbelievable. Sticks in lanes at all times, he disrupts everything the opposition tries to do. His ability to win 1 on 1 battles is also impressive. He just has it. No way he doesn't make this team.

Formenton needs icetime and reps. His speed creates lots of issues for the oppositions d core. You can tell he makes them nervous. I think he could break out this year.

Ennis is a good depth player. However if this team is healthy he shouldn't play. There is no way he should he playing ahead of Paul or Formenton on the third line. As a 4th line I'd rather see more physicality. This is how I see it.

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Stuetzle Pinto C Brown
Formenton Paul White
Sanford Tierney Watson
Ennis

Did Greig get benched after his penalty?
Game misconduct

Reactions: Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Good: Pinto. Formenton. Greigs goal. I didn’t think he was that great overall (not expecting him to be right now) Lassi

Bad: I didn’t think anyone who needs to be decent or had a shit at the team was terrible. I thought heatherinfton was our worst d man last night. But he was there as our 6th so makes sense
The game looked too fast for Jarventie and Sokolov which makes perfect sense.

I suspect brannstrom and Mete are better than MDZ we will see.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Parker Kelly looked good.
Jarventie had some great flashes.
Lassi looked great.
Soko needs some skating help.

and the rest already talked about here had good games.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Last year:

..... Lassi
Bust<---------------------|------------------->NHL

This year:

................................... Lassi
Bust<---------------------|------------------->NHL

I am actually happy to see his game has improved and he could go back to being a valuable asset for us.

Reactions: God Says No

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Gus was a stud and made it look routine. I had to adjust my undies after a few of those 3rd period saves.
Pinto looks faster and more confident. Insert him into my veins and the core of this team already. Stop wasting time with Tierney as the #2 C, it's not being good to the vet. it's just hurting the progress of the team.
Greig has skating ability and skill for days. Giving me Marchand vibes (no, not as good but same vibe).
Brannstrom looked mostly good, much better than Mete and that is going to be annoying when he's sent down and Mete stays.
Raise your hand if you knew Smith was going to find a way to shower Kelly with praise even if not asked? (raises hand). I think Kelly is making this team. He makes coach adjust his undies like Gus the bus made me adjust mine last night. There isn't room for him but coach wants him I think.

I loved every second of watching that game. So pumped hockey is back.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Thomson, Grieg, Pinto, Formenton, Gustavsson all looked good. Pinto was the the star IMO.

Reactions: armani and Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. Good game, & while Forsberg had a decent first period I thought Gustavsson came in & stemmed the tide after Winn got their 2nd goal & made a number of good saves to keep the Sens in the game & eventually win it. Gustavsson looks like he could be a #1 goalie in the NHL.

2. Pinto played like a 2nd line centre who wants to be a top line centre in the NHL. He was a standout last night & plays well in all zones, he's a complete player.

3. I thought Lassie Thomson had a really good night, no glaring mistakes, took the body well defensively & made some nice offensive plays, he played a solid game.

3. Formenton is too fast for the NHL, he had a pretty good night to & should make this team easily.

4. Ennis had a good night & it's understandable they prefer him in the lineup with his ability to skate & carry the puck. Very shifty player but I expect he will be moved by the TDL.

5. Greig scored the highlight reel goal of the night & with his abilities it could explain why they decided to draft Boucher instead of Sillinger because they already had a centre in Greig who could be as good.

6. I thought Parker Kelly had a strong game hitting guys all over the ice & breaking up plays. Kastelic too did his job, got into Stanley's face when he wanted to get at Soko. Soko was okay but we can see he needs a little more time, seasoning & maturing. J. Brown had a good game, nothing fancy just solid defensively as he is suppose to play.

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Had a decent game. Good patience with the puck, can make some plays on the PP. Pinto, Greig, Gustavsson, Formenton, Mete all had strong games IMO.

I think Sokolov played good but he didn't stand out.

Nice summary. To set the context further, I would add that the Grieg 5-minute major in the 2nd period and other PKs took time away from the attacking lines including Sokolov's. He didn't get much play time in the 2nd, and his line looked to be still trying to gel in the 3rd. I have also noticed that Sokolov requires "adjustment period". He didn't come gun blazing in the AHL last year, nor at the first rookie game against MTL. Think we will see more offensive output as the camp goes on.

Ennis is the perfect measuring stick for other rookies competing for a spot. If you can't beat him, then you keep seasoning in the minors which isn't a bad thing for the plethora of young talents in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad