Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Jets, Sat 3 pm (automatic loss)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
He's dropped the gloves 10 times this year, the leader has 15 fights, and he's only gone two games this year without a hit. (which is still bad for his role)

Mind you, still far from 'many' like you claim.

Aside from a lower body injury suffered against Washington when he missed a few games, I recall twice seeing Neil getting visibly hurt although he continued to play. Once he took a hard hit mid chest but didn't go down. He labored the rest of the game and it was obvious he stopped trying to hit. Another time he skated hard on the forecheck and fell badly into the boards. It looked like he had injured his shoulder. He went off the ice for a while, came back but he wasn't effective. Both times for the next few games he didn't fight or even hit much. I was sure he was playing injured. I can't recall the game but in a post game interview, one guy said he asked Neil to fight and Neil told him he couldn't because he was injured.

I'm not saying he hasn't slowed down but sometimes there are reasons guys don't play with the same determination as they usually might. That said I don't think Neil is effective in his role unless he's 100% and the tough guy mentality or fear of losing one's spot may play into guys playing hurt. The NHL and teams should encourage guys to sit out when they have bobo's and make it cap easy to bring up replacement prospects as needed.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
meh....

It's nice guys can show up in practice, but it would help if they could do it during the game more consistently. And that goes for everyone.

John Holmes*

Open your eyes. Neil is finished. He is completely useless on the ice, and has a long record of fighting teammates in practise.

He should be gone.

More moronic coaching decisions, and the puck hasn't even dropped yet. It's Senators hockey!

Oct 10, 2010
Open your eyes. Neil is finished.
Robert-Downey-Jr-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1388.gif

John Holmes*

Maybe you're right. A 34 year old that never did have much skill and is now slower than molasses, and does absolutely nothing on the ice is playing just fine.

Oct 10, 2010
Maybe you're right. A 34 year old that never did have much skill and is now slower than molasses, and does absolutely nothing on the ice is playing just fine.

Again, you're inaccurate with your assessment of the said player
i.e ' slow as molasses' + 'does absolutely nothing on the ice' comments.

And i am the one who needs to 'open my eyes'.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
either we win this game and go on a tear.........or its over......

That ship has sailed, unfortunately. We are finished. Losing a crucial four pointer to the Wings was crippling, and going 0 for Alberta finished us. We would need to win 14 of our last 19 to have a shot, and we have one of the worst goal differentials and goals against averages in the NHL. Not only do we lose, we lose ugly. The notion that this team is somehow going to find a magic wand isn't terribly realistic.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He's dropped the gloves 10 times this year, the leader has 15 fights, and he's only gone two games this year without a hit. (which is still bad for his role)

Mind you, still far from 'many' like you claim.

Blah never lets facts get in the way when he is arguing something! :laugh:

John Holmes*

Again, you're inaccurate with your assessment of the said player
i.e ' slow as molasses' + 'does absolutely nothing on the ice' comments.

And i am the one who needs to 'open my eyes'.

I guess so.

Perhaps you could enlighten those of us that are in the dark?

What exactly does Chris Neil bring to the table at this stage in his career?

He doesn't hit, fight, score, play strong defense, and what kind of "leadership" does a guy with a mile long rap sheet of fighting teammates in practise really have to offer?

Limited role players such as Neil, don't often last into their mid 30's. We've already got much more out of Neil than is the norm for that type of player.

I think you're stuck on sentimental street, and you're possibly blinded to reality because you have an emotional attachment to a player.

I thought the fanbase and management would have learned a hard lesson with Alfredsson, but apparently I was wrong.

There's a first time for everything.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Absolutely. A physical fourth line grinder that will score you around 10 goals a year, fight when he's needed and drop some of the biggest hits every season?

Teams like the habs would be tripping all over themselves to try to get Neil if he were available.

You are correct. Many good teams would love to have Neil for a playoff run. 4th line and 6-10 minutes a game depending on the situation.

Oct 10, 2010
I guess so.
Perhaps you could enlighten those of us that are in the dark?

Okay, will do.

What exactly does Chris Neil bring to the table at this stage in his career?
He doesn't hit, fight, score, play strong defense, and what kind of "leadership" does a guy with a mile long rap sheet of fighting teammates in practise really have to offer?

The reality is while Chris Neil isn't the strongest defensively ( he never had been) ranks ( as of now tonight) is 10th in hitting, and tied for 5th in fighting majors in the league. What's this crap about how he doesn't hit or fight?? Plus, he has 8 goals, which is pretty decent considering his role, no?

Limited role players such as Neil, don't often last into their mid 30's. We've already got much more out of Neil than is the norm for that type of player.
Only players who fill their role very well last as long as Neil has, and he still has some left.

I think you're stuck on sentimental street, and you're possibly blinded to reality because you have an emotional attachment to a player.
I like the player.. I mean, it's hard not to like a player of his role who gives it his all not only on the ice, but off it as well. And the stats that matter in terms of his role still shows he still has some left, despite what you say and think.
Don't let your hate towards certain player make you blind.

[/QUOTE]

John Holmes*

I don't hate him, I just think he's finished. Maybe Paulrus playing him too much is skewing my perspective.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Odd thing is, this is the lowest his avg ice has been in 5 years.

13/14 - 11:48
12/13 - 13:51
11/12 - 12:47
10/11 - 12:45
09/10 - 11:58
08/09 - 10:58
07/08 - 12:45
06/07 - 13:07
05/06 - 12:18

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Paul Maurice has turned the Jets into a real team. It will be an interesting test of character to see if the Sens show up after their hard practice yesterday. No more Mr Nice Guy, Paulrus?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I don't get why people ***** and moan about Kassian being in the line up. He won't even get regular shifts. It just means more ice time for guys like Ryan, Hoffman, Macarthur, Hemsky etc etc when they get double shifted.
Then why dress him at all? Only 3 LW means even more ice time for Ryan and Hoffman!

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
I don't hate him, I just think he's finished. Maybe Paulrus playing him too much is skewing my perspective.

Solid debate and it's nice to see a point politely conceded.

I agree with the last part of your statement and believe he's being grossly misused. This is Chris Neil's role: protector, ***** disturber, momentum changer (hits and fights), and leadership provider. He should be able to fulfill all of these duties in 7-10 mins of ice time per game.

Chris Neil's best asset is his heart, but give him too much ice time and he can be his own worst enemy (stupid penalties, bad d-zone coverage). But you shouldn't question his skill set and what he brings to the table, even at 34. On a perfect team, Neiler would have minimal ice time and still have a positive impact with huge hits, big fights, and the odd goal. But most importantly, he would show our young guys that 100% effort is needed EVERY SINGLE SHIFT!

I can't decide if MacLean is an idiot or we have so many holes in our forward corp that he's forced to overuse players like Chris Neil. Probably the latter lol

SenatorArmy*

Now that most fans have lost hope & have given up we'll probably win 7-0

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Ryan is a RW.

Michalek can play both sides as can Hemsky.
Yeah I don't know how that came out the way it did. All I meant to say is that the argument that playing Kassian is good because it gives other players more ice time is absurd, since you might as well then not dress a 12th forward at all.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't get why people ***** and moan about Kassian being in the line up. He won't even get regular shifts. It just means more ice time for guys like Ryan, Hoffman, Macarthur, Hemsky etc etc when they get double shifted.

Kassian in the lineup does 2 things:

1) It ruins the capability of production from sources outside of those who are playing. Kassian gets little minutes = so does his linemates. Zibanejad and co becoming ineffective hence removing any source of legit secondary help.

2) Tires the guys who get double shifted and if they are having tough night to score... you're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad