News Article: Sens interested in Tanev

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Tanev also is not making 5 mill on his next contract imo. If he does we should definitely pass. 34 year old probably gets a 2 years

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Good luck unfortunately. RHD, especially defensive and young are just not easy to find.

Here are the UFAS with at least 13 minute average:

There is not a lot there. DeAngeloa and Dehairnais at 29 are the youngest.

RHD is the hardest position to fill in the league. I expect we are looking at the same lineup next year on the right hand side. Or else overpay for a UFA or really overpay for a current contract.
The UFA crop is quite good this year.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Tanev also is not making 5 mill on his next contract imo. If he does we should definitely pass. 34 year old probably gets a 2 years
If you look at it from the big picture perspective (and the spreadsheet), we were still comfortably under the cap at $85 2 m.

The intent is to see if the numbers work. And hence, with this goal in mind, it's better to over estimate a bit than underestimate.

Again, I take ideas that others are posting, and include the cap hits for those roster players. People have different preferences or objectives with their posts of course. It's just a lot more concrete and less fantasy oriented if there's actual numbers for the complete roster.

People are welcome to post their own detailed rosters with cap hits if they wish.

Last edited:

misplacedsensfan

Jun 9, 2009
Vancouver
That's kind of how I look at it.

If people just like posting fantasy type posts, who am I to argue.

But, if the goal is make realistic trade proposals, then the numbers are needed. You can't even pass the basic criteria of "will this even work" without the numbers.

Update - There was another poster in here that did this (spreadsheet) before. I liked the idea, so decided to run with it.
I’m not sure why you need to spend the time making a spreadsheet. You can just do it with Capfriendly armchairGM. And you can easily see how trades would work with that tool. I sort of assume most posters are using that or something similar when they suggest trades or future rosters.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I’m not sure why you need to spend the time making a spreadsheet. You can just do it with Capfriendly armchairGM. And you can easily see how trades would work with that tool. I sort of assume most posters are using that or something similar when they suggest trades or future rosters.
It takes me about 60 seconds to create the spreadsheet. I see very few posts in here with spreadsheets/CapFriendly with cap hits for entire roster, buyout/retain data, etc. So, I don't know what they do, or don't do. I'm not sure how you (or anyone) could make this assumption. I just see what they post. Not sure why you are so worried about what I do, but thanks for the concern I guess? I'll carry on.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I don't understand why do we need to add Tanev?

Do this management really things that all the countless issues this team has are going to be fixed by adding another defenseman?

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

Do this management really things that all the countless issues this team has are going to be fixed by adding another defenseman?
Countless issues?

I guess if a RD & a goaltender are "countless".

If you look at the last 10 games, playing better team D has this team playing much better (14 points out of possible 20 points). I think addressing those 2 issues will position the team to get to the next level. But, the combination of only enough cap space to address one need and considering what is actually practical, the RD situation is looking like the best alternative. imo.

Reactions: DueDiligence

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Who do we have on the back end who plays like Tanev?

If he can be signed to an extension once he is traded for, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't benefit from adding a defensive RHD.

The team's play is steadily improving, and while we aren't making the playoffs, I'd much rather add him now and get him accustomed to his new teammates than wait for the summer. Imo he's exactly what we need going forward aside from the right coach(if that's not JM).

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Who do we have on the back end who plays like Tanev?

If he can be signed to an extension once he is traded for, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't benefit from adding a defensive RHD.

The team's play is steadily improving, and while we aren't making the playoffs, I'd much rather add him now and get him accustomed to his new teammates than wait for the summer. Imo he's exactly what we need going forward aside from the right coach(if that's not JM).
I’d much rather have him now as well, but I’m not sure I’d want to have to outbid playoff bound teams for him.

The other issue is that if he wants to go to a playoff team he isn’t going to sign an extension right away with us, which would make trading for him even more difficult since we’d face losing him right away in the off season.

Might just be best to wait until the off season to try and get him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I’d much rather have him now as well, but I’m not sure I’d want to have to outbid playoff bound teams for him.

The other issue is that if he wants to go to a playoff team he isn’t going to sign an extension right away with us, which would make trading for him even more difficult since we’d face losing him right away in the off season.

Might just be best to wait until the off season to try and get him.
I'm not really on board with sending assets to acquire him now either, but if they did go that route, I would sure as shit hope an extension would be pre-negotiated and part of the deal. That scenario of losing him right away would be such a bad look for new management.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm not really on board with sending assets to acquire him now either, but if they did go that route, I would sure as shit hope an extension would be pre-negotiated and part of the deal. That scenario of losing him right away would be such a bad look for new management.

That wouldn't happen.

Only Dorion is smart enough to trade for players who are on expiring deals, waiting for a huge contract, and won't sign here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't think Tanev is the guy they should be going for, regardless, and don't think they will be.

He's 35, and will cost significant pieces to pick him up. The Sens are in no position to be trading away future assets, they need to be trading away players for future assets.

Tanev is the type of D we need, not the exact D we need. He's not getting any better, on the contrary, he will be getting worse.

This summer, the draft especially, is the time to add a RD, when they aren't in the midst of a losing season with high 1st's and 2nd's already queued up.

Get a guy through UFA, or use the Bos 1st + whatever we get in futures this trade deadline to shop for a guy on the right side.

Trading pieces for a 34 year old is insane for this team

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
This seems like the time HF Sens melted down because Peter Chiarelli was rumoured to be Dorion's replacement.

There's no way Staios is outbidding contenders for Tanev at the deadline. I could see him signing here in the offseason.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't think Tanev is the guy they should be going for, regardless, and don't think they will be.

He's 35, and will cost significant pieces to pick him up. The Sens are in no position to be trading away future assets, they need to be trading away players for future assets.

Tanev is the type of D we need, not the exact D we need. He's not getting any better, on the contrary, he will be getting worse.

This summer, the draft especially, is the time to add a RD, when they aren't in the midst of a losing season with high 1st's and 2nd's already queued up.

Get a guy through UFA, or use the Bos 1st + whatever we get in futures this trade deadline to shop for a guy on the right side.

Trading pieces for a 34 year old is insane for this team
I don't mind the patient approach as well. I'd rather not lose good roster players or high draft picks at this point, and see what we can do in free agency in the summer. We've tried the impatient approach & trades before with not great results. Some of those high picks we moved before could be sliding into the roster on inexpensive ELC contracts now. It will be interesting to see what unfolds & we haven't really seen any big actions yet from Staois & company.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't mind the patient approach as well. I'd rather not lose good roster players or high draft picks at this point, and see what we can do in free agency in the summer. We've tried the impatient approach & trades before with not great results. Some of those high picks we moved before could be sliding into the roster on inexpensive ELC contracts now. It will be interesting to see what unfolds & we haven't really seen any big actions yet from Staois & company.
Yes there seems to have been some impatience; probably caused by past stupidity of the GM who was becoming desperate to improve the team and keep his job!

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm not comparing him to Stepan as a player..one is a forward. One is a defenseman.

I'm comparing the fact they were both big name players who performed well in the past and are both not likely to sustain it for long much longer into the future. Essentially, we would pay a high price for a player based on his past even though he's unlikely to be able to sustain it for years forward.

I was also making a joke about how the cost would only be a 2nd round pick (what we paid for Stepan)

The fact you thought I was comparing the players themselves is pretty telling about you.
You need to be clear about what you want to say. It's not my job to do this. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Stepan was going downward and was in the cusp of his career. Tanev is playing at a very high level this year. They are not comparable. Not going to continue with a back & forth on this.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You need to be clear about what you want to say. It's not my job to do this. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Stepan was going downward and was in the cusp of his career. Tanev is playing at a very high level this year. They are not comparable. Not going to continue with a back & forth on this.
Check DOB, write off player it seems.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Lol a week later...

"I'm not going to continue"

Looks like you are .

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't even know what I want here with regard to Tanev, or if it's worth pursuing at all, I just don't want to write off every 34 year old because of DOB. Maybe it's best to just avoid altogether, but there are outliers.

In Tanev's case, he does have some hard miles it seems, but a 2 year deal to a guy turning 35 halfway through season 1 doesn't seem that crazy to me. Paying assets now, depending on cost, not so much.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd overpay for Tanev in UFA over trading a 2nd for him and extending him at market value.

If anything we'd need to overpay more to have him extend immediately on a bottom feeder instead of getting traded to a cup contender and having a chance to win.

And on top of that a 2nd round pick doesn't get Tanev. Almost certainly would cost the BOS 1st, maybe more.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad