News Article: Sens interested in Tanev

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The only thing I find weird about this is the leaks. Friedman is reporting Ottawa has talked to Tanev - I don’t mind and live in the real world that these things hapen but does the entire world need to know Ottawas internal dealings And management strategy.

less leaks would be better for this team

Last edited:

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
The only thing I find weird about this is the leaks. Friedman is reporting Ottawa has talked to Tanev - I don’t mind and live in the real world that these things hapen but does the entire world need to know Ottawas internal dealings And management strategy.

less leaks would be better for this team
Do we know these leaks are true?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
1706704214824.gif

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Hopefully the talks went like this between Steve Staios and Craig Conroy.
SS “Hey Craig, we’re looking to add a vet RD, how much to make Tanev an Ottawa Senator?”
CC “A bunch of teams have been calling on Chris so he’s going to cost at least a 1st and a prospect or 2nd round pick”
SS “Wow! That’s too rich for our blood, we won’t be trading high picks until we’re closer to a playoff spot”
CC “No worries I totally understand”
Both hang up phone

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hopefully the talks went like this between Steve Staios and Craig Conroy.
SS “Hey Craig, we’re looking to add a vet RD, how much to make Tanev an Ottawa Senator?”
CC “A bunch of teams have been calling on Chris so he’s going to cost at least a 1st and a prospect or 2nd round pick”
SS “Wow! That’s too rich for our blood, we won’t be trading high picks until we’re closer to a playoff spot”
CC “No worries I totally understand”
Both hang up phone

Is part of this just Staois driving up the price for 2 divisions rivals who want Tanev badly - TB and T.O.? Just stick your nose in there to make them spend assets they don’t want to spend?

Drive up the deadline price and then OttWa signs Tanev in the summer?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Only interested in him as a UFA on short term deal (2 years max)

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Tanev
Chychrun - JBD
Guenette

Trade Brannstrom for a young cost controlled forward (ex : Ty Dellandrea)

Make Hamonic the team mascot in the locker room

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Trading for a 34 UFA who is highly coveted with a big price tag when we are nowhere near the playoffs is comically stupid
I can't imagine there is any chance we trade for Tanev without an extension as part of the conditions.

Maybe we're looking at a bigger swap, but I don't see a lot of realistic options that fit both teams needs.

Tanev would be a good fit for the next couple years, but I just don't see it happening.

Idk, the whole Ottawa interest in Tanev seems like smoke and mirrors to drive up his price,

Reactions: NB613 and DJB

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Trading for a 34 UFA who is highly coveted with a big price tag when we are nowhere near the playoffs is comically stupid

Our Rookie GM has clearly let it be known that he is searching for seasoned veterans to help bolster the young roster in Ottawa. There is an option to wait until the offseason IF Tanev does not sign an extension by a team that acquires him at the deadline….. so does our Rookie GM make his first bold move, and trades for Tanev, with an agreement in place for an extension?
Or is Calgary using the interest in Tanev, from a number of suitors, to drive up his asking price?
Someone will offer a first round pick, and a prospect, if Tanev agrees to an extension before being traded, and if he has to waive his NTC, that could cost a little more

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
31st ranked prospect pool. Last place and people want to trade more picks for a 34 year old lol. Unbelievable. There is no way sens management is doing this. About as true a rumor as when the media reported the sens were shopping chychrun.
Our Rookie GM has clearly let it be known that he is searching for seasoned veterans to help bolster the young roster in Ottawa. There is an option to wait until the offseason IF Tanev does not sign an extension by a team that acquires him at the deadline….. so does our Rookie GM make his first bold move, and trades for Tanev, with an agreement in place for an extension?
Or is Calgary using the interest in Tanev, from a number of suitors, to drive up his asking price?
Someone will offer a first round pick, and a prospect, if Tanev agrees to an extension before being traded, and if he has to waive his NTC, that could cost a little more
What the f*** is wrong with you?

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
31st ranked prospect pool. Last place and people want to trade more picks for a 34 year old lol. Unbelievable

31st ranked prospect pool. Last place and people want to trade more picks for a 34 year old lol. Unbe

Who care about the prospects pool. I want players that can play in the big teams. I would trade our two first. But of course I want extension in place

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Of course we want him. One of the best shot blockers in the league, strong defender, right handed.

So...why would we be able to outbid all the teams who will inevitably try to aquire him for their playoff runs? And further, why would we unless there's an extension in place? And why would there be an extension in place right now?

Reactions: NB613 and Duncstar

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Only interested in him as a UFA on short term deal (2 years max)

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Tanev
Chychrun - JBD
Guenette

Trade Brannstrom for a young cost controlled forward (ex : Ty Dellandrea)

Make Hamonic the team mascot in the locker room
Replace JBD with someone better and we have a nice d corps

I wanna see dumba in a sens jersey. I know I know but f*** it. He comes in plays third pairing a pk with chychrun. Hmm

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I hope this is a joke.

He's an almost 35 year old stay at home defenseman who's an upcoming free agent and will probably cost decent assets.

We should be one of the LAST teams trying to trade for him.

He's at the stage in his career where he's a 1yrx 2-3m as a free agent. Nothing a bottom feeder should be going for. Especially at the cost of picks or prospects when are cupboards are sooooo bare.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
If the Sens were in the hunt it might be worthwhile on a max 2 yr deal. However not worth it at his age and the fact that the Sens are out of it. Massive decline in most player's performance post 35 yrs with a few exceptions.

Reactions: bert

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I can't imagine there is any chance we trade for Tanev without an extension as part of the conditions.

Maybe we're looking at a bigger swap, but I don't see a lot of realistic options that fit both teams needs.

Tanev would be a good fit for the next couple years, but I just don't see it happening.

Idk, the whole Ottawa interest in Tanev seems like smoke and mirrors to drive up his price,

It's not just the lack of extension.

How good do we honestly expect him to be for the next couple years?

How many stay at home defenseman are actually really good at the age of 35-36-37? Not many.

Odds are he'll be like hamonic where we're trying to get rid of him if we signed him to a multi year deal.

We should be targetting someone who was methots age when we got him. Methot was 27 when he started with Ottawa.

Reactions: Alex1234

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
31st ranked prospect pool. Last place and people want to trade more picks for a 34 year old lol. Unbelievable. There is no way sens management is doing this. About as true a rumor as when the media reported the sens were shopping chychrun.

Is he not a rookie GM? I don't understand the objection.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Replace JBD with someone better and we have a nice d corps

I wanna see dumba in a sens jersey. I know I know but f*** it. He comes in plays third pairing a pk with chychrun. Hmm

I think JBD's going to be fine defensively, he still makes rookie mistakes but he has shown enough good things to become reliable. It would be better to have him as the 7th guy for now too (send Hamonic to the moon), these guys still end up getting a bunch of games

Dumba on the other hand, his offense has gone down hill immensely and has never been good enough defensively.

Just checked the UFA list for RHDs and this is IMO what our list should be by priority, if they are available of course :

Matt Roy
Brett Pesce
Vincent Desharnais
Dylan DeMelo
Christopher Tanev
Jani Hakanpää
Chad Ruhwedel
Jalen Chatfield
Ilya Lyubushkin
Colin Miller
Robert Bortuzzo

We could even sign 2 of them

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Desharnais
Chychrun - Tanev
JBD

Now that could be quite the defense, and we could afford it... Instead of having Tarasenko/Kubalik eating 7.5 AAV, spend 3.0 on a Joseph type, have an ELC guy like Crookshank and then invest the difference on RD (you also save Brannstrom's 2.0 AAV)

Desharnais would be a big target for me but don't think the Oilers will let him go, although they might have too due to their salary cap structure going forward

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad