Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Winnipeg, Wednesday 8:00 pm on TSN

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I don't think evaluating most of the team systems in a game where the veteran players clearly don't care about the result is an accurate portrayal of anything. It's bad data. Period.

I don't think you guys understand here - I'm not defending the team for tonight's performance, nor am I chastising them for it. Rather, I am thoroughly nihilistic about preseason games. They mean nothing to me, regardless of whether we win 10-0, or lose 12-0.

Yeah, but the problem wasn't their execution so much as it was just the entire setup was awful. They might not be going 100%, but they are still putting into practice the system the coaches have set up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Preseason is what it is. It is frustrating to see some guys really underperform, but we have to remember these games don't really count in the grand scheme of things. Most of the roster spots are sorted well before training camp.

I really love the progress from Formenton. He seems to show something new every game. That beautiful snipe after using his speed was special...takes a ton of skill to do that. Same with Chabot. Brown has his moments, too. Formenton and Brown are going to blow the lid off the OHL this season.

My only real concern is the lack of awareness on the ice with a lot of our vets. Seems like they get so locked into the 'system,' they don't always see opportunities or play options available to them. A lot of guys made weird decisions out there tonight. Maybe it's still some summer rust, I dunno.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah, but the problem wasn't their execution so much as it was just the entire setup was awful. They might not be going 100%, but they are still putting into practice the system the coaches have set up.

Systems always look bad when the players aren't going 100%. In any system. Ever.

If it looks bad Game 1 of the regular season, I'll be right by your side in criticizing it. Until then, these games are the hockey equivalent of quick sketches by an artist who is planning out a much bigger painting - focusing on shading while ignoring form, or focusing on perspective while ignoring clean strokes.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
There was some interesting thing both positive and negative.

First i thought Formenton was once again fantastic.
Second Chabot played a good game, it was the first time he was pressured this much and the relatively well.
Third Brown played a good all around game and started to be more noticable when he got Ryan and Stone as his winger.
Turris-Stone were good as usual.

Claesson-Phaneuf ... is it me or they did not played well at all?

Oduya-Ceci played an OK game.

Pageau was invisible and i think that's the reason Boucher decide to try brown with Stone and Ryan. But Pageau is Pageau, i'm not concerne at all. He's doing his thing he play hard all the time

Dzingle was flying.

A lot of positive individual things happen during the game, but the team play wasn't good.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Good and bass for me

Chabots first poor game of the preseason.
Pageau meh
Ceci. Oduya. Ceci and oduya.

Phaneuf slamming that puck around the boards when we're a goal down and have control and our net is empty.

The good.

Formenton. Brown was still not too bad.

Not sure what burrows and Thompson do here. Let alone at the price which we paid for them and currently pay them.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Systems always look bad when the players aren't going 100%. In any system. Ever.

If it looks bad Game 1 of the regular season, I'll be right by your side in criticizing it. Until then, these games are the hockey equivalent of quick sketches by an artist who is planning out a much bigger painting.

Boucher himself doesn't seem too happy with the team despite adding the same note about understanding that the guys aren't willing to give 100% out there.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Good and bass for me

Pageau meh

Phaneuf slamming that puck around the boards when we're a goal down and have control and our net is empty.

The good.

Not sure what burrows and Thompson do here. Let alone at the price which we paid for them and currently pay them.

I get the feeling we'll be tearing our hair out all season long wondering why we're paying these two so much money for such small contributions.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Boucher himself doesn't seem too happy with the team despite adding the same note about understanding that the guys aren't willing to give 100% out there.

I've never heard of a coach in any competitive sport who is ever happy after his team loses a game.

I'm not sure how tonight would be any different.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I've never heard of a coach in any competitive sport who is ever happy after his team loses a game.

It's not just about him being unhappy with a loss. He specified that puck management was bad and that the team should still be improving despite this being preseason.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Good, it's his job to care about that.

I hope the veteran players take his criticisms to heart once the games count in the standings and they actually are trying.

Well, if they keep playing like this, they're likely to have a losing record early on. I remember when this team was the cream of the crop and we still managed to look good in meaningless games.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Finished watching that embarrassment.
I really hope Formenton gets a few well-deserved games and some bum veteran who didn't feel like playing today and on Monday takes a seat in pressbox for a few.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Looks like the system is working. Out shot. Check. PP sucks. Check. PK below average. Check.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Looks like the system is working. Out shot. Check. PP sucks. Check. PK below average. Check.

Ugly showing indeed. Good thing for Formenton or we wouldn't have much of anything to be happy about.

Boro is so bad, if he plays at any point over Wideman Chabot or Harpur I am not sure what to say. The d couldn't handle the jets for check from a half AHL roster.

Don't get the Oduya love He's very slow.
Same with Burrows too weak too slow.

The team is just slow in general save Dzingel, Hoffman, Formenton and Stone last night. Thought Ceci was decent. It's not just skating fast it's playing quickly. Stone's anticipation and skill allow him to play that way.

Playing Chabot on his offside is something I just dont agree with. He has star level talent but is being forced to play out of position in the NHL. Not giving him the proper situation to succeed is simply mind blowing to me. Bad for his development bad for the organization overall. This d core is simply too slow without EK to have the only elite puck mover out of position. The NHL is getting faster, the games evolving rosters are evolving. The sense gotta keep pace. At no point and time should we ever see Boro, Dion and Oduya all dress at once. It's simply too slow. They can't get the puck out of the zone controlled.

When healthy I wanna see what this d core can do.

Chabot/Claesson Karlsson
Phaneuf Cecil
Claesson/Chabot Wideman

No one on their offside everyone can handle and move the puck. This will reduce zone time and give the sens a real chance at competing.

Given this team's real lack of depth speed and skill upfront it's hard not seeing Formenton sticking. It's obviously not ideal for his development but He's a lot better than many players on this team already. But that's just a real problem with organizational depth. I find it crazy that Stalberg wasn't re signed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol there is too many comments related to team performance right now...

Avs were 6-0 last year in pre-season... guess that worked out well

It's crazy that some veteran posters get caught into that every year... same old story

If you are trying to draw conclusions from pre-season, prepare mistaken... All you can really do is get more data on individual scouting reports

There isn't much that we're doing right right now. Some bright spots here and there but too many players look like they're coasting towards the regular season.

Really? I have never seen veterans do not give a crap about pre-season before...

Do you expect Pageau to look like that all year?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Oooof that #17 hahahaha wow, dude looks worse than a PTO tryout.

And lol at Burrows, that trade and contract is looking worse each day lol.

I seen more out of Reinhart, Chlapik, Randall and Blunden than those two. Too much money and term tied into 4th line players that can barely skate anymore.

Pyatt is still good tho, has the speed and the tenacity to win board battles.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

I seen more out of Reinhart, Chlapik, Randall and Blunden than those two. Too much money and term tied into 4th line players that can barely skate anymore.

There was no need to sign Burrows, Thompson and Oduya. Now we have a logjam and these guys are blocking better, younger and faster players from being a part of this team. Yes, I am adding Oduya because his signing is going to bump Chabot, Claesson or Wideman out of the lineup. At least Oduya only has a one year deal, while we will have to deal with Thompson/Burrows for two full seasons.

Wait until the inevitable 3 year contract extension for the hard hitting, good old local boy Mark Borowiecki

Reactions: BuckyDornster

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Good and bass for me

Pageau meh

The good.

we got them before we realized we had depth, like we got burrows when our 4th line was complete shit and we got thompson because i doubt boucher wanted another full year of kelly

its great that our prospects are playing so well but unless they play the same style as mccormick they should not be making the team as 4th liners and playing 3-5 minutes a game

Using what we see in regards to our prospects i figure there will be more top 9 spots open next year but if we had gone into this offseason saying we were to replace from within dorion/melnyk/boucher heads would have been on a stick

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
There was no need to sign Burrows, Thompson and Oduya. Now we have a logjam and these guys are blocking better, younger and faster players from being a part of this team. Yes, I am adding Oduya because his signing is going to bump Chabot, Claesson or Wideman out of the lineup. At least Oduya only has a one year deal, while we will have to deal with Thompson/Burrows for two full seasons.

Wait until the inevitable 3 year contract extension for the hard hitting, good old local boy Mark Borowiecki

Wideman hasnt shown that he should be a regular, he started off last year playing good hockey and has gotten worse as time goes on. If oduya pushes wideman to be better than thats fine wtih me

if you really want to be upset you should say that boro is going to block one of them because that will happen haha

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I expect injuries to wipe out enough guys, that all our kids on the blueline will get some games here and there during the season. There's a decent chance one or two of the kids show well enough, that Dorion moves a guy like Wideman or Oduya at the deadline.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My thoughts ;
It was preseason hockey so nothing to be too alarmed about.
Our down low play by our D in the D zone is missing quite a bit. .. We miss Karlsson's magic hands and quickness and we miss Methot's combination of strength and mobility. Not many of our D had good games. Phaneuf is strong but slow to get to pucks or defend on the edges. Ceci was probably our best. Claesson was pushed around. Boro's biggest contribution is his physical play. Oduya did not have a good game. Chabot had his good moments but this was likely his worst preseason game.
Mark Stone was our best player.
Formenton continues to be a bright light.. very hard not to like him
Brown also had some good moments in both ends but was not as remarkable as he was playing further up the lineup.
Generally for Chabot and Brown.. these guys are really talented rookies. Playing them to their strengths / to succeed requires that they are teamed with skilled and more like minded line mates.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Man burrows and Thompson look bad because "they don't care right now".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad