Post-Game Talk: SENS in Philly, Tues. 7:00 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Apparently Jannik Hansen with San Jose is playing even worse than Burrows with Sens. So we got that going at least.

Man, Burrows has been fine. Some great games, some meh games. Really hasn't been bad. He is what he is - a pretty good 3rd liner.

FWIW, Burrows is tied for 4th in Pts since he came over. Karlsson and Hoffman both have 14, Pageau has 8, Burrows and Turris have 7... Our only forward who has contributed more than 3 pts since then is Brassard. Burrows also leads our fwds in goals since coming over.

He hasn't been amazing, but given our struggles offensively he has been a pretty key addition thus far.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
We have the worst goal differential of the 16 playoffs team as tonight...:help:

Montreal, Washington and Columbus are the only teams in the east who have allowed less goals than we have, so we have that going for us. We may not be one of the highest scoring teams, or have a great goal differential, but that's not the be all and end all.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Man, Burrows has been fine. Some great games, some meh games. Really hasn't been bad. He is what he is - a pretty good 3rd liner.

FWIW, Burrows is tied for 4th in Pts since he came over. Karlsson and Hoffman both have 14, Pageau has 8, Burrows and Turris have 7... Our only forward who has contributed more than 3 pts since then is Brassard. Burrows also leads our fwds in goals since coming over.

He hasn't been amazing, but given our struggles offensively he has been a pretty key addition thus far.

How many points does Burrows have against non Colorado teams??

Burrows has not been good. Luckily we signed him to that 2 year extension.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
These last few overtimes have been atrocious. Enough playing for the shootout. Boucher's made the comment that he likes our chances in the shootout and sees the OT as a crapshoot, but we're spending most of our time stuck in our own zone, wasting a good chance at an extra point. Enough of Pyatt-Pageau being one of the go-to OT lines. Put Stone, Turris, Brasard and Hoffman out there, even give Dzingel a chance. I've liked Pyatt's game but he's becoming one of those frustrating players because of Boucher's obsession with him. He shouldn't play close to 19 minutes in a game, he has 8 goals all year.

Any news on Karlsson? It's inexcusable to not have him out there down the stretch of a game like that, barring injury.

Having Ceci/Phaneuf out there as often as he does is equally questionable. Claesson and Wideman make more sense in OT

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Feels like the team is just out of gas. Just no energy out there.

It's going to be hard to try and turn things around before the playoffs.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory here...agree that the team looks out of gas...little jump and virtually no goal scoring to speak of....there is like 3-4 guys on the team who have a chance of even coming close to a goal.

Hey mistakes happen but that's a real glaring one from Andy last night...and it seems to happen multiple times per year, wonder if the coach has discussed maybe playing the puck a bit less considering the highlight real of freebies our goalies dole out, sadly we are rarely on the receiving end of those type of gifts.

A few weeks ago I was satisfied that the team wasn't going to stumble down the stretch trying to squeak in, alas new year same Sens it seems.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory here...agree that the team looks out of gas...little jump and virtually no goal scoring to speak of....there is like 3-4 guys on the team who have a chance of even coming close to a goal.

Hey mistakes happen but that's a real glaring one from Andy last night...and it seems to happen multiple times per year, wonder if the coach has discussed maybe playing the puck a bit less considering the highlight real of freebies our goalies dole out, sadly we are rarely on the receiving end of those type of gifts.

A few weeks ago I was satisfied that the team wasn't going to stumble down the stretch trying to squeak in, alas new year same Sens it seems.

Philly got a huge gift on that first power play in no way was that a high stick.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Montreal, Washington and Columbus are the only teams in the east who have allowed less goals than we have, so we have that going for us. We may not be one of the highest scoring teams, or have a great goal differential, but that's not the be all and end all.

There is great concern with Toronto for example yes they can score but they also give up a ton.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
There is great concern with Toronto for example yes they can score but they also give up a ton.

Not gonna give up a ton against a team that has trouble scoring 2 goals lately. Boucher will be more concerned with slowing them down than us outscoring them.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Philly got a huge gift on that first power play in no way was that a high stick.

Oh big time but I don't fault the ref at all there, that was an Oscar worthy performance...it wasn't so much the head snap which many would do it was checking his face after in pain when he was never touched.

I wonder why we now play like we are protecting a lead in overtime now. It seems so strange to play like that. I can only assume that the coaches believe we really don't have the players to compete against any team at 3 on 3 and would rather just try and get lucky in the shootout.

Hears the wild are struggling mightily, check who we play next....oh terrific, pre congrats to the wild for using us as a springboard to get back on track!

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
What an uninspiring shootout. Andy looked bad on all three, and nobody aside from Pyatt even got it on net.

This is actually pretty damn funny when you think about it, in retrospect of the tactics used at conclusion of regular time we should have simply called it a day and not bothered to risk injury to our 3rd and 4th line players defending for 5 minutes and handed Philly the extra point.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Not gonna give up a ton against a team that has trouble scoring 2 goals lately. Boucher will be more concerned with slowing them down than us outscoring them.

Keep in mind Toronto has awful d and goaltending is a big question mark most games if the Leafs wanted to play wide open hockey vs Ottawa sure they might score but they would give up just as many.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Right now the Leafs are avg 4 goals a a game but take out AM/Nylander and Marier and there avg 1 goal per game.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Now, more than ever, is the time for Tom Chorske's wooden Buddha.

buddha_medium.jpg

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Keep in mind Toronto has awful d and goaltending is a big question mark most games if the Leafs wanted to play wide open hockey vs Ottawa sure they might score but they would give up just as many.

Toronto would give up plenty of scoring chances but it seems we cannot/refuse to capitalize on them over the last handful of games, this needs to be turned around.

Last edited:

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Right now the Leafs are avg 4 goals a a game but take out AM/Nylander and Marier and there avg 1 goal per game.

How does our offense look if we take out Karlsson, Turris and Hoffman/Stone?

Anyone who isn't concerned about the recent lack of scoring is deluding themselves. Especially in the context of playing a Leafs team that seems to score at will.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How many points does Burrows have against non Colorado teams??

Burrows has not been good. Luckily we signed him to that 2 year extension.

2 more years to improve.

I truly think he's been weak. But because some of us didn't like the trade at the time our opinions must be loaded with bias.

He does almost nothing. I cant believe how weak he is on the puck. His passing is a little strange.
And the guy has lost some steps.

If you played dahlen with Hoffman and turris (brassard?) against Colorado. I bet he would have got some points too.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

Anyone who isn't concerned about the recent lack of scoring is deluding themselves. Especially in the context of playing a Leafs team that seems to score at will.

How did that work out for them 4 out of the last 5 games we played them?

How many players on their team have even played in the post season?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Team feels a bit stall since about a week after the deadline. We had Burrows and Stalberg carry us for a few games by being point a game players, but overall I'd say there a couple of things.

1. Andy doesn't look unbeatable the last 10 games or so. I haven't lost faith at all, but he seems to just be good and not great.
2. Boucher seems to have lazered focused in, and doesn't seem as 'loose' or as free flow as he did through the first 60 games. I don't know how this effects the team, but it's an observation that he already has his playoff face on and the team hasn't seemed to step up to his hightened level of intensity,
3. we aren't taking that extra second with the puck on our 2nd chance. Spezza always said in slumps to slow things down and not wait for your play, but to realize you had that extra half second to make a pass. Last night on rebuonds there were a lot of blind passes and pucks thrown into ice where no Sens were. A half second to turn to face the play or take time a half second to make the pass makes the difference, I agree with the plan of attack to just create chaos by having constant pressure and never allowing the oppositions D structure to settle, but I think a touch of patients makes all the difference.
4. EK has made a few totally off passes the last couple of games. I;m not sure if he's tired, it's just bad luck, or he's pressing. No complaints, but like Andy, he just doesn't seem to be as sharp as he normally is.

If Andy and EK sharpen up a bit, the forwards settle pucks down and find teammates, I think we get back to our old ways. Just feels we aren't as sharp or as fierce as we were from games 10-60. Maybe this is GB fine tuning the team for the playoffs, but the team doesn't seem to be completely in synch like we were before the deadline.

Love Wingels game recently, he's going to pot a huge playoff goal for us, probably on the road. Feel his road game is better then his home game. Big fan

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

How does leafs offense look if you take out Matthews marner Reilly kadri.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
How did that work out for them 4 out of the last 5 games we played them?

How many players on their team have even played in the post season?

I just don't understand how someone can argue that we'll outscore the Leafs because all of their production comes from 3 players. I guess the idea is that they are rookies and therefore must automatically go cold in the playoffs?

The Leafs have speed and offense on their side. The Sens have defense and playoff experience. But if we can't capitalize on Toronto's defensive breakdowns we will be in tough to win a series against them. And I don't think it's realistic to suggest that Matthews, Marner and Nylander will simply be non-factors in the playoffs. All three of those guys are extremely good hockey players, playoff experience or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad