Sens hire Jim Little as CEO and now he's fired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
None of it matters, really. I don't care that Little swore, that he's strong-willed, or even that he got fired.

What I want to know is what part of his "direction" did Melnyk disagree with? That's what caused the confrontation in the first place, and from what Little said publicly, he wanted to do all of the right things.

This is less about Little, and more about what their differences actually were.

just a guess but probably didn’t fall in line with the things Melnyco will never do:

1. Admit the fans have been though a lot but it’s time to mend fences

2. Spend money to rehab the image.

3. bring the alumni back into the fold

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Haha you did it again...well done. I clearly pointed out the real strawman going on and the fact that I was directly talking to people cheering on this behavior and that was your answer?

Sureeee
Nobody condoned abuse in the workplace. What they did condone is yelling and swearing at Melnyk out of frustration, for that they totally respect Little. Again, you purposely tried to misrepresent facts. Also, your entire "abuse" argument is a straw man, your alternate facts are a straw man, pretty well every angle you have taken is a straw man.

This is fun, facts are hard for you

Reactions: Gesus

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
"Everyone"?

I think it would be safe to say that "strong-willed" is a pretty common self-assessment among executives at that level. It's rare to have the career aspirations to move that far up within corporate structures in his capacity without being a bit of a brash personality.

Having known & worked with a handful of CEOs around town, my experience is that "bit of a brash personality" is an understatement.

Takes a special kind of person to rise to that level, and they're not always "special" in a good way.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Having known & worked with a handful of CEOs around town, my experience is that "bit of a brash personality" is an understatement.

Takes a special kind of person to rise to that level, and they're not always "special" in a good way.

my experience has been totally different with top
Level execs of multi million dollar business - generally very kind and welcoming, polite and inclusive. Not they know everyone’s name but are respectful and set an example they want their group to follow

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Level execs of multi million dollar business - generally very kind and welcoming, polite and inclusive. Not they know everyone’s name but are respectful and set an example they want their group to follow
This tends to be the outward facing persona. Internally they have real teeth and have used them to climb the ranks. It’s the nature of corporate politics

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

There's a theory that the demographic of top level execs has a disproportionately high rate of psychopathy/sociopaths when compared to the general population. The high end of estimates is roughly around 1 in 10 C suite execs exhibit enough traits to score as psychopaths.

Robert Hare, the guy who created the current diagnostic tool psychopathy, wrote a book about it a while back, I haven't read it myself, but have come across the theory a number of times. The men who stare at goats writer even wrote a book about it.

This fits right into the above theory I mentioned lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
No need to let this thread get off the rails from solely one contrarian at this point, this topic is seemingly getting all of us , save 1 on the same page as we are all realizing we just want this team to be good and respectable again, ive really enjoyed some of the takes in here which clearly used critical thinking!

What led to this blowup yet again and the initial lie "core values" press release from the Sens regarding the reason and subsequent Bettman follow up are the real stories here.

For many of us it gives a split second to daydream of a sale and remember what it was like being an actual sports fan of the local team with hope before crashing back to our absolute sports hell miserable existence! Seeing the current buffoon fail again and again is basically the only entertainment we have left!

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
According to my source, it was basically over Melnyk not allowing Little to do this job. He would run things by Melnyk, and Melnyk would not approve as he is worried about the bottom line. Ultimately, everything Jim wanted to do, Melnyk did not want to pay, which culminated in a fiery phone call. As far as my source knows, he did not tell him to "Go bleep yourself".

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
According to my source, it was basically over Melnyk not allowing Little to do this job. He would run things by Melnyk, and Melnyk would not approve as he is worried about the bottom line. Ultimately, everything Jim wanted to do, Melnyk did not want to pay, which culminated in a fiery phone call. As far as my source knows, he did not tell him to "Go bleep yourself".

Eugene truly doesn't give a flying f*** about fixing the franchise. He just wants to project to the fans and community that he actually does, while expending as little resources as possible doing so.

Going to be hilarious when he brings in another yes-man C suite hack to call CEO and attendance is still flat as f*** next season.

Reactions: Ed Wood

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Melynk wanted to do another Boro sit down video and Little called that video, "the dumbest f*cking thing I've ever seen."

Or something like that.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I mean, this was the most likely explanation as to why Little would have a heated disagreement.

Purely speculation on my part, but I suspect strong language and swearing amounts to something like "what the **** am I doing here if you're going to micromanage everything and not get out of my ******* way". Might have thrown in some personal jabs like "don't be a ******* coward and take some financial risks to make this work".

The core values the sens are basing the dismissal on would then come down to something like "treat everyone with integrity and respect".

One thing to me is pretty clear; this is going to make it a lot harder to find qualified people to take the job. Nobody wants to work in that type of role if they don't have the autonomy to realize their vision.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Melynk wanted to do another Boro sit down video and Little called that video, "the dumbest f*cking thing I've ever seen."

Or something like that.

I'd say it was For F Sake Eugene .. this is the job you hired me to do. Let me do my f'n job.

Eugene: NO

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

This is pretty much what I heard too. Mine was a friend of a friend though.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I mean, this was the most likely explanation as to why Little would have a heated disagreement.

Purely speculation on my part, but I suspect strong language and swearing amounts to something like "what the **** am I doing here if you're going to micromanage everything and not get out of my ******* way". Might have thrown in some personal jabs like "don't be a ******* coward and take some financial risks to make this work".

The core values the sens are basing the dismissal on would then come down to something like "treat everyone with integrity and respect".

One thing to me is pretty clear; this is going to make it a lot harder to find qualified people to take the job. Nobody wants to work in that type of role if they don't have the autonomy to realize their vision.
Your speculation is about 95% of what Jim said lol

Reactions: Micklebot

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Sounds about right.

No one can work with this piece of shit. FYOUS is a flock of shit

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Makes sense. Word certainly be frustrating to deal with. Meddling Melnyk

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Which is why other NHL executives don't want to work for him. Difficult and frustrating to do your best with handcuffs on.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Eugene truly doesn't give a flying f*** about fixing the franchise. He just wants to project to the fans and community that he actually does, while expending as little resources as possible doing so.

Going to be hilarious when he brings in another yes-man C suite hack to call CEO and attendance is still flat as f*** next season.
My sentiments exactly. I don't believe Melnyk had any intention of allowing Little to make the kinds of constructive changes he advocated for. Little was hired to polish a turd. When he realized this and spoke truth to power in a strait forward and unambiguous fashion he was fired.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010

Short of an intervention from the NHL (again), I don't believe anybody respectable would take the job at this point.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I guess a small positive here is that it essentially confirms we are doomed with Eugene as owner full stop, there's nothing to be gained by wishing for a change in character or beliefs at this point as it won't happen, the team under current ownership will continue to be unsuccessful and will seemingly exist to maintain the current lifestyle of the owner solely. Barring no challenge from the league itself and no further health issues or a desire to sell from Eugene, I predict continually lowering attendances until the team inevitably folds due to bankruptcy, I don't think the league would ever allow Eugene to enter a new market and thus view that option as off the table.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess a small positive here is that it essentially confirms we are doomed with Eugene as owner full stop, there's nothing to be gained by wishing for a change in character or beliefs at this point as it won't happen, the team under current ownership will continue to be unsuccessful and will seemingly exist to maintain the current lifestyle of the owner solely. Barring no challenge from the league itself and no further health issues or a desire to sell from Eugene, I predict continually lowering attendances until the team inevitably folds due to bankruptcy, I don't think the league would ever allow Eugene to enter a new market and thus view that option as off the table.

In what world is that a positive, small or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad