Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Atleast we have talent lol that's obvious. Cant teach it, the compete level was higher but its still the mental mistakes. Luckily its October and they have time to improve on all these issues. I think were missing a legit top 4 safe minute eater on D outside of that I think they are ok.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The voice of reason a big thanks !!!! This board it starting to become unbearable. I think you represent "the silent majority" :handclap:

Thank you. Actually, I sometimes receive private messages by people in the "silent majority". I appreciate the encouragement. Even if I took a lot of heat in the past for trying to calm things down and put things in perspective, I'm still here.

By the way, take a look at my avatar for a sec... This is exactly what happens around here when things are not perfect

:laugh:

4 against a finished goalie.

Yeah, of course... Khaby is really to blame for Ottawa's first 3 goals. He should have stopped Zibanejad but even then, it was still a point blank shot as he could walk in the slot unchallenged for a few secs... Sens deserved their goals, certainly not "less" than the Hawks. This "poor little child" mentality demonstrated by some Sens fans really have to stop at some point. We are a NHL team too.

Atleast we have talent lol that's obvious. Cant teach it, the compete level was higher but its still the mental mistakes. Luckily its October and they have time to improve on all these issues. I think were missing a legit top 4 safe minute eater on D outside of that I think they are ok.

Only real weakness in the line-up IMO. All the rest is mental (could be physical for some*) and systemic.

* yeah, some NHL hockey players play through injuries and we don't know it!

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
So Karlsson leads the defensemen in points? What the hell?

It's pretty ridiculous that even when he isn't playing as good (and forwards screwing up on so many chances), he's still pretty good. Although when he's at his best (Jan 2012), his defense is just as good as offense.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I find that X is the only sane poster on these forums right now.

If you read my posts, they are mostly sane. I am just pissed off about the lack of consistency from those players who've been in the NHL for long enough to know. Karlsson is a different story from the others, he is still recovering. Spezza, Phillips, Neil and others need to step up their games big time.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
So Karlsson leads the defensemen in points? What the hell?

It's pretty ridiculous that even when he isn't playing as good (and forwards screwing up on so many chances), he's still pretty good. Although when he's at his best (Jan 2012), his defense is just as good as offense.

He will get there.

Iconoclast

Lifestyle on camera
May 2, 2013
Toronto
Notes from this game:

+ Michalek scored
+ We scored 5 goals on the stanley cup champions
+ Karlsson keeps getting better
+ Smith
+ Didn't start the second trailing

- We got 6 goals scored on us
- Cowen
- Player 2
- Did I mention Cowen
- Blew a 2 goal lead

We need a win or I'm requesting a trade to the Columbus board.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
I know I've said this a few times, but I honestly think this year is going to play out more like McLean's first year as coach. Injured players from last year are still finding there game and the new and young players are adjusting the system. Especially for the younger guys, adjusting to the NHL as well. I expected we'd be in for a rough start, especially with the teams we've faced early on.I think what's most frustrating is that we've lost in terrible ways, bad plays and giveaways that end up being the difference. It's one thing if the team is outworked, its another when it feels like your setting up your oppenent. The chicago and toronto game are prime examples of that.

I still have hope though, the team is getting better and the schedule is easier from here on out. On the positive we've played the best teams in the league, so it's pretty obvious to all what needs to be fixed/improved/worked on for the rest of the season if we have a serious chance in the playoffs.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Defensively, we have been brutal. Too many giveaways and brain cramps. Can't expect to win with 6 goals against and always getting scored on first. Would like to see something more from Andy as well. His positioning has been brutal in these last couple of games.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Most of these guys have been playing Stache's style for a while now. It's not like Stache is a new coach teaching new systems so what's the excuse for the breakdowns. Inexperience on D can explain some of it but not all.

During in-game interviews in frustration without pointing fingers some players said that they got away from the game plan. When Methot said that it surprised me a lot. Why is that? Is it that some guys don't believe in the system and are playing their own way? It's hard for the player leadership to exercise influence when on any given night one or two of these leaders take bad penalties, make the wrong decisions leading to dangerous turnovers, don't skate, don't back check and generally play a lousy defensive game. Almost every game you could point to one of the leaders as having contributed to the loss so if they are honest with themselves it must be tough for them to speak during those players only closed door meetings.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I find that X is the only sane poster on these forums right now.

Thanks but I don't think so. There's a ton of level-headed posters around here but many are hiding, probably sick and tired of reading all those bipolar knee-jerk reacting biased comments. Personally, I don't mind it, because that's my actual work in real life, I work with young people with heavy problems. however, I don't use confrontation as much lolz

Do you see a lot of MoO or Dr.Sens these days? No because like several others, they know it's wiser to stay away from these boards during losing streaks

It's evident that it is a very fickle "quitting" fanbase, and it already shows in the ticket sales... People from the Ottawa region has very little faith in their team

If you read my posts, they are mostly sane. I am just pissed off about the lack of consistency from those players who've been in the NHL for long enough to know. Karlsson is a different story from the others, he is still recovering. Spezza, Phillips, Neil and others need to step up their games big time.

Don't worry, I'm stressed when I watch games too, I WANT to win. But reality is that on a possibility of 24 points so far, we got 10. One more win instead of a loss and we'd be right there at 0.500, and I think it would have been good considering the 6 games road trip and quality of teams we faced. Also, the lack of preparation due to the stupid split against the Isles in last pre-season games and the return of 4 injured players from last year are factors playing against them. Spezza, Michalek, Karlsson and Cowen can do better and we need them to be better in their 2-way game.

People say we can't beat good teams but I don't think the Coyotes and Wings are that bad... We also got a point against LA and Toronto (tie, only lost a point on SO) so it's not the end of the world in that very short sample size... Wish we could have won 1 or 2 games against the Ducks, Sharks and Hawks but we went 0-5. Lost several of those games by 1 goal and even in the 5-2 game against SJ, we kinda carried the play and outchanced them.

I think the main problem for the Sens right now is focus. Stay in the game for 60 minutes, every detail is important, can't take a shift off without anticipating possible problems that could end up in our net. Need more defensive awareness, and no, it's not only the D-men "who suck" but 80% of the players that are not focused on their 2 way game.

Why do we try to play run & gun against the Sharks, Ducks and Hawks though? Sounds very risky and it blew up in our face

We are 4-1-2 against the rest of the NHL

Last edited:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
i think i'm pretty sane except when it comes to karlsson,

we've played well in pieces against teams this year. We need to start winning and catch the Wings and Habs and we'll do fine. I'm just bummed out that we didn't do well during the hard stretch because it shows we're not a cup contender like the very top teams are though I wasn't expecting it, but was hoping for it

John Holmes*

Its not about sane or insane or level headed vs knee jerk reactions.

Its just reality.

Fact: Spezza is getting eaten alive by his counterparts in spite of his points.

Fact: Cowen has been atrocious.

Fact: Michalek is invisible.

Greening and Neil have been useless. Karlsson is brutal in his own end, and he and Spezza have both been guilty of quitting on plays that have resulted in goals against.

These are not opinions. This is what is actually happening on the ice.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Speaking of being sane or insane:

You know what the 1st sign of insanity is don't you?

If you have a tiny near invisible hair growing dead center in the palm of your hand.

Do you know what the 2nd sign is?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Its not about sane or insane or level headed vs knee jerk reactions.

Its just reality.

Fact: Spezza is getting eaten alive by his counterparts in spite of his points.

Fact: Cowen has been atrocious.

Fact: Michalek is invisible.

Greening and Neil have been useless. Karlsson is brutal in his own end, and he and Spezza have both been guilty of quitting on plays that have resulted in goals against.

These are not opinions. This is what is actually happening on the ice.

Sorry but it's still a very simplistic view and an opinion. You are pointing fingers for what seems to be an overall team problem. When a player like Condra is making a lot more mental mistakes than usual, it means something is wrong. Not many players have played near to perfect. And perfection doesn't exist, in the end it's : "does the positives outweigh the negatives?"

I think that Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Conacher and Methot are the only ones that have brought far more positives than negatives. All the others have not played to their potential 2-way wise, so it's all debatable and a debate involves opinions...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Time for Stache to swallow his pride and forget those delusions of playing possession hockey. We are not the Red Wings, we do not have the personnel for that. Too many pylons on D and laziness from our forwards to make that work.

Lock it up, we need to play Lemaire, Trotz, Hitchcock hockey from here on out.

What about last year though? We were good puck possession hockey team.

Also, we have the best puck possession player in the league in Karlsson.

Maybe it's not as much the system that's the problem as much as it is the players within it.

John Holmes*

Sorry but it's still a very simplistic view and an opinion. You are pointing fingers for what seems to be an overall team problem. When a player like Condra is making a lot more mental mistakes than usual, it means something is wrong. Not many players have played near to perfect. And perfection doesn't exist, in the end it's : "does the positives outweigh the negatives?"

I think that Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Conacher and Methot are the only ones that have brought far more positives than negatives. All the others have not played to their potential 2-way wise, so it's all debatable and a debate involves opinions...

The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Our best players are playing like excrement defensively, and we're losing games because of it.

More is expected from players like Spezza and Karlsson and Cowen than of Condra.

Those guys are killing us. Condra is not.

Iconoclast

Lifestyle on camera
May 2, 2013
Toronto
Karlsson belongs amongst those who have brought more positives than negatives so far. Yes he's made some bad plays (that giveaway to Getzlaf comes to mind) but he's picked up his game enormously since the first few games.

Watch that compilation that HavlatMach did of him against the Sharks. Tons of great plays. He's playing with speed and joining the rush when he can and to be a successful team in this league you need to have a defenceman capable of doing that. In our zone he stills leaves some things to be desired but he's generating more chances than he gives the opposition. It just doesn't seem like it because unlike the other team, our guys can't seem to actually capitalize on said chances...

And please for the love of god no one bring up +/- as an argument against Karlsson.

John Holmes*

And then he coasts back / gives up on a play that resulted in a goal against.

Doing a lot of good does not negate the bad.

Spezza getting a few points and creating chances does not excuse him playing like an 8 year old girl in the same game which leads to us getting scored on.

I don't understand this mentality.

If I feed 100 people at a soup kitchen, but I punch one of them in the face, I'm still getting arrested.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
i don't think he coasted back or that he didn't put in effort on the Wingels goal, but rather it was a decision that came from the way he plays the game. A toddler can tell you what was wrong with the play in hindsight. I think he misread and made a bad decision rather than gave up on the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad