Pre-Game Talk: Sens-Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Add Boro into the mix. The combo of Gryba, Cowen and Borowiecki give us a really physical backend. Its probably one of the more physical defenses in the league tbh. Kind of shows you how a big physical D corps won't necessarily translate into an actually good D in today's game. This isn't an indictment of those players, most of the time they're just put into situations they can't handle, but not being physical isn't part of their downside.

Cowen in particular is really coming around. He's looking like the guy we've been wanting/expecting out of the 9th overall pick. I said many times at the beginning of the year that our season will go as Zibanejad and Cowen go, and I still believe that. Them turning the corner at this juncture bodes very well for this team. Despite all the negativity and struggles of this season so far, the play of our young players is really something to get excited about.

I have been pleased with Borowiecki's physical play, but not so much with Cowen and Gryba. I still want to see greater physical play from those two as they are both huge and could really dominate other teams and make their forwards fearful of entering the Senators Dzone.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
...They gave us trouble last year, sure refs helped but can't believe we were leading 4-1 and lost, my god. I am still pissed. Actually I like the team since Bergevin is there but I absolutely dislike their fans. .!

They (their iddiot fans) can take their little one game (regular season) miracle comeback to town cause in the end I can't hear them gloat because that huge playoff victory is blocking my ears!! :laugh::laugh:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
They (their iddiot fans) can take their little one game (regular season) miracle comeback to town cause in the end I can't hear them gloat because our huge playoff victory is blocking my ears!! :laugh::laugh:

Hahaha, exactly what I tell all my friends, still, these games are always stressful for me and frustrating sometimes

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well I don't believe in the #TypicalMTL conspiracy, but one thing is for sure they have a though crowd that put the refs on their heels sometimes.

I watch a lot of the Habs games, the one versus Anaheim ref missed a borderline hit on Pacioretty and then the crowd was in fury, really pissed, refs looked weird and called a make up call on a small bump by Maroon on Weise that put MTL back in the game. It's just weak to whine on referees and it looks a lot like it is what I am doing, but man seriously sometimes in MTL it's BS. Last year when they came back they gave Turris a 2 for hooking while Markov almost went through the ice with his dive. After that in our zone on the PK Greening went for the clear, got tripped clearly right in front of the ref, no call, we get scored. Then in OT, Lehner has the puck for a good 4-5 seconds, they keep crashing him, and they score. Meanwhile, we get two good goals waived off. I don't know, sometimes it's frustrating to be honest.

Kudos to the MTL crowd though, they are a tough building to play in

Elliott Friedman has said the Montreal crowd influencing the referees is an actual concern for a growing number of executives in the NHL

There is no conspiracy, only incompetence

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Elliott Friedman has said the Montreal crowd influencing the referees is an actual concern for a growing number of executives in the NHL

And I agree, glad to see I am not crazy. Versus the Ducks Subban looked like he was in the woods chopping trees and it needed 2 good interference after before he got the call.

At the pre-season game between the two teams I was there in MTL. Man felt like we spent the whole night in the box. They could crosscheck us all they wanted but we were already on the PK and Cowen got called for a small bump on Desharnais, I am sorry but Desharnais doesn't need a lot to fall down. It's just that seriously, incompetence. But you can't blame MTL for that, they are doing their job, it's just frustrating when I watch that

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Interesting-for years HNIC at the ACC meant that there would be lots of penalties against the opposing team if the Leafs were lagging at the end of the game.This is how it has always been and probably passed without comment by Freidman because he is a member of the Toronto sports media and he probably never noticed it.

Controversial calls against the Leafs mean a lot of blowback in the press and can go on for years whereas calls against a small market team can be forgotten the next day.

Its is the same way for the Quebec/Montreal press. The game that the Sens played last year when they lost after having a 3 goal lead, featured two on ice decisions overturned in a bizarre way and clear bias on the part of the refs. You have to wonder if they are pandering to the local crowd or intimidated by the press which can be overwhelming in that market as much as in the Toronto market.In both big markets, the media is made up in essence by partisan fans of the home team despite pretensions, especially in the Toronto market of being a national sports press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad