Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Flames - Sat 10PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
This post mirrors my opinion, and therefore I like it.

The kids have been put in a position to succeed, Cowen was scratched, educated, eased back in, and is playing great. Boro is getting sheltered minutes with our other sheltered shut down guy.

In fact, I'd say that there is an emphasis on putting the youngsters in positions to succeed at the slight expense of some of our older players who are having to shoulder larger roles to allow the kids to be protected (and they need protecting).

The Turris line, EK, Phillips, are all guys that are having to play a little above their heads right now because we don't have the established talent to spread around the minutes and assignments, this is the price they pay for helping a young team grow.

The last thing we want is for the kids to start bearing the responsability for our futility. Let them celebrate great play, and enjoy sheltered play, while our vets carry the burden of the best coverage, reduced individual success, and team losses. The only problem is that some of the guys doing the heavy lifting are also youngsters, simply because we don't have the personnel.

Ideally we would have a #1 centre, a #1 defender, and another established top six winger to push everyone down into more reasonable roles, but alas we do not. As it is, i think the coaching staff is doing a great job, and it seems clear to me that they are protecting the youth of this team with the long term gain in mind, as bets they can given the resources at hand.

The ongoing sense of entitlement by some of this fanbase is sucking the very life out of this place.

Gosh our best players are having to play 'above their heads'? What do you expect them to do? They are our best players, if they can't get the job done they we aren't going to do very well.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Nobody is doing this here. Unless McLean is a chicken?

Reiterating: referring to Phillips, Neil, Legwand. It certainly seemed that they were being singled for how they are used despite serving their purpose in this game and, by and large, throughout the still young season.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
For the ignorant out there who think first lines play first lines, second on second etc. wake up. The top lines are usually matched up against the other teams best checking lines. Folks the object is to shut down the oppositions top scoring players with your best checkers. Try and get your best players against weaker checking lines. Why do you think Smith Neil, Legwand arent scoring? Their role is checking and limiting the oppositions chances. This means battling hard usually in your own end. Then IF the puck moves up the ice they change, no opprtunity for a high Corsi folks. Sometimes it happens (hometeam get last change) where you put a better line on against the oppositions better line because your checking line is outclassed.
Playing tough defensive hockey with a quick transition is necessary. We have moved the puck out of the zone better this year but the neutral zone losses are staggering. Our offensive zone creativity is usually non existent. The players have enough talent they just need to get a consistent system that everybody will buy into.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
For the ignorant out there who think first lines play first lines, second on second etc. wake up. The top lines are usually matched up against the other teams best checking lines. Folks the object is to shut down the oppositions top scoring players with your best checkers. Try and get your best players against weaker checking lines. Why do you think Smith Neil, Legwand arent scoring? Their role is checking and limiting the oppositions chances. This means battling hard usually in your own end. Then IF the puck moves up the ice they change, no opprtunity for a high Corsi folks. Sometimes it happens (hometeam get last change) where you put a better line on against the oppositions better line because your checking line is outclassed.
Playing tough defensive hockey with a quick transition is necessary. We have moved the puck out of the zone better this year but the neutral zone losses are staggering. Our offensive zone creativity is usually non existent. The players have enough talent they just need to get a consistent system that everybody will buy into.

this is due to a lack of talent, or lack of developed talent, not "having enough" of it and getting used to a system.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I'm not getting defensive.

You said that for "to some, if you question the coach, you are being negative and you aren't a fan" - I'm asking you to elaborate and identify the "some" part of that statement.

Look around you on any of these four pages and you will see examples. Then you can look around these four pages for people suggesting that others aren't intelligent. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008

I actually see three 3 lines that usually get the match up of the top lines. It's not just one line that is doing it all the time. Didn't Zibanejad's line draw up against the Sedins for most of the game against Vancouver? Turris' line also gets many of those assignments and if he doesn't then he definitely gets the other teams top 2 dmen.

Moderators really need to start cracking down on these types of comments of people suggesting that others are ignorant or should not be in the same converstations because they feel that others are not on their level. I mean really, what type of person must one be to think that way.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I actually see three 3 lines that usually get the match up of the top lines. It's not just one line that is doing it all the time. Didn't Zibanejad's line draw up against the Sedins for most of the game against Vancouver? Turris' line also gets many of those assignments and if he doesn't then he definitely gets the other teams top 2 dmen.

Moderators really need to start cracking down on these types of comments of people suggesting that others are ignorant or should not be in the same converstations because they feel that others are not on their level. I mean really, what type of person must one be to think that way.

lol, we'd never see another post by Xspyrit or Ice-Tray again if that was the case.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Reiterating: referring to Phillips, Neil, Legwand. It certainly seemed that they were being singled for how they are used despite serving their purpose in this game and, by and large, throughout the still young season.

They are being singled out because of the way that the coach uses them and not because of how they are playing. Examples of this are:

C. Neil being on the ice in the last 30 seconds of a 3-3 game against Vancouver with the faceoff in our zone. Stone or MacArthur would have been the better option to put out in that position if we are defending. Nothing against C. Neil because if the coach asks him to go on the ice, what is he going to say.

Legwand being on every 1st unit pp opportunity to me is not putting the team in the best possible position to succeed. If something doesn't work, coach can't keep going back to it. The 5-3 especially, Legwand had no business being out there because you need someone that can shoot or move the puck around quickly neither of which is Legwand's forte. Again, nothing against Legwand because he is not going to turn down the coach if the coach asks him to go out there.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Zibanejad is simply snake bitten. Many missed chances. Maybe he could play a couple shifts on wing, using his big frame in front of opposing goalie?

For whatever reason he isn't driving hard to the net the way he used to on occasion, and he isn't skating as well either. It is a bit concerning.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They are being singled out because of the way that the coach uses them and not because of how they are playing. Examples of this are:

C. Neil being on the ice in the last 30 seconds of a 3-3 game against Vancouver with the faceoff in our zone. Stone or MacArthur would have been the better option to put out in that position if we are defending. Nothing against C. Neil because if the coach asks him to go on the ice, what is he going to say.

Legwand being on every 1st unit pp opportunity to me is not putting the team in the best possible position to succeed. If something doesn't work, coach can't keep going back to it. The 5-3 especially, Legwand had no business being out there because you need someone that can shoot or move the puck around quickly neither of which is Legwand's forte. Again, nothing against Legwand because he is not going to turn down the coach if the coach asks him to go out there.

Neil being out there for a defensive zone faceoff is the result of him being on a line with our best LH center, and the coach committing to not juggling the lines as much. MacArthur in Neil's spot is unlikely as he's a LW, Stone might work, though I'm not convinced he'd be any better in that role (he's gotten lost in his zone at times, but is much better once the puck is on his stick). I'd love for Condra to take Neil's spot in the lineup when the extra toughness isn't required, but I don't see that happening.

As for Legwand on the 1st unit PP, he's there likely again because he's our best LH center. I'd rather he just center the 2nd unit with Chiasson or Stone and Hoffman, and have have a top unit of Mac-Turris-Ryan. More concerning to me is not getting Ceci to run the second unit, and limiting Karlsson to just the one PP. If Karlsson needs to be out there for both units (ie we are down late in the game) maybe have him play the LD position with Ceci on the Right.

I've actually been pretty happy with the PP, to put things in context, it's opperating at the same efficiency as last year when whe had Spezza. I think there is room for improvement, (really would like to see Stone, Hoffman and Ceci get a look) but imo it really has more of a consistency issue that a personnel one.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
Sens just don't have enough team speed.

All three teams we played on this west coast trip were noticeably faster. In today's NHL, you have to be fast and have a very mobile defense. The Sens look very easy to defend through the neutral zone as their transition is frighteningly slow.

Not sure how you address this in the short term. May have to make a move or bring up some young Bingo speed. I think it will be a long season unless Anderson/Lehner are insanely good for entire season.

Actually, to be honest, in that 3rd period, I saw the Sens play at a higher tempo than I have ever seen them. Passes were crisp, short, on the tape. Breakout was fast.

The problem for us is our execution. It's not like we don't have chances. We do but we can't bury them and that's the issue. And Calgary is an aggressive forecheck team that will capitalize on opportunities.

A big prob for us too, is that Karlsson looks like he's recovering from some sort of condition. He's been better as of late but offensively, he looks hesitant and not in control. I guess with time, he'll get comfortable but he used to be a little more ''dynamic''.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Actually, to be honest, in that 3rd period, I saw the Sens play at a higher tempo than I have ever seen them. Passes were crisp, short, on the tape. Breakout was fast.

The problem for us is our execution. It's not like we don't have chances. We do but we can't bury them and that's the issue. And Calgary is an aggressive forecheck team that will capitalize on opportunities.

A big prob for us too, is that Karlsson looks like he's recovering from some sort of condition. He's been better as of late but offensively, he looks hesitant and not in control. I guess with time, he'll get comfortable but he used to be a little more ''dynamic''.

It's because he is playing 30 minutes a game. Doubt he would be out there that often if he was nursing something.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
lol, we'd never see another post by Xspyrit or Ice-Tray again if that was the case.

There are a few of us who tire of the regular tone around here and voice it, most just stop posting, or leave completely. On the flip side, if we removed every poster who did little other than to be negative, and insult every player, coach, management, and decision made, there'd only be a handful of posters left. It reads here like rather than being populated by posters who like the team, it's filled with people who like trashing the team.

Yup, they are definitely two of the worst offenders.

Easy for you to say, you don't have to read your posts ;) Try being a positive person sifting through these threads day after day. This isn't supposed to be a toilet for people's verbal trashings.

Look around you on any of these four pages and you will see examples. Then you can look around these four pages for people suggesting that others aren't intelligent. If you can't see it, I don't know what to tell you.

You need to be able to separate the quality of your posts, with the quality of yourself. No one is saying that posters are stupid, but lord knows people can post stupid things. We all do it.

Look around you and you will see endless examples of people complaining about every player, the coaches, the owner, etc... It's draining, and most complaining posts have no basis in fact or even logic. There is no problem questioning decisions, it's the WAY it's done here. People can't 'raise questions', they insult the coach/player, then go on to speak in definitive way about things that really have no idea about. And THEN they don't want to be challenged for behaving in such a way, and even worse seem to want a hug for their hurt feelings. I feel that if you're going to insult and post opinions in a negative way, then back it up when other posters come calling, don't try and hide behind moderators and the Constitution. There is discussion, and intelligent discussion, and we can all have the latter, it just takes more effort.

Oh, woe is you! No one is out to get you, or think you're stupid. People DO take offence to some of your posts.

Jesus, makes me shake my head. If you're going to come with an opinion, be prepared to defend it, without being able to hide behind someone else. This isn't the modern school yard with helicopter parents and participation badges.

No one is saying that PEOPLE are not intelligent, but some things that people POST are clearly not well thought out, and often made with the purpose of lashing out and dissing players, coaches, management, etc. I don't feel that I have to sit by quietly while it happens, and so sometimes I don't. My rights! My constitution! My... blah, blah, blah

Look, posting: "McLean is garbage because he's too stupid to play the 'kid line' more" is an unintelligent post, that is pointless beyond being rude. I take offence to them and sometimes point that out. Why in the world would pointless, rude posts, be protected from scrutiny? When you post level and thought out opinions, you tend to get the same back; try it and I guarantee that you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

We were in this game, and played well enough to win, but Andy's stickhandling, which is normally a strength, let us down for a couple goals. These things happen to even the greatest goalies.

I've noticed this too, it makes me wonder if he's actively trying to be a different player.

He looks sometimes like he does less offensively, so that he can do more offensively. Maybe he's also limiting his bursts to conserve energy for the 30 minutes he has to play, sort of like cutting down on the moments of brilliance so have more sustained moments of excellency.

Does the staff want him to play like he used to? Or is he being asked to be more defensively responsible? Does he play differently because he's the captain now and feels that he has to more well rounded?

Or he could have lost a step, and some confidence due to injury.

Once Methot is back, maybe we'll see a change in his play. Either way, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
i'm not bugged out by posts that cross the line about our players because they tend to contain little substance.

i feel the flames game was about two even teams facing off and one having to lose. we had good stretches and opportunities on the pp that will hopefully go in another time

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Said it elsewhere, but Stone played 61 seconds in the 3rd period in Calgary. He has a hot stick lately, and could barely get ice time. Not injured. That speaks to decision making.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Said it elsewhere, but Stone played 61 seconds in the 3rd period in Calgary. He has a hot stick lately, and could barely get ice time. Not injured. That speaks to decision making.

Missed the game, but the kid line was apparently struggling that night. How did Stone look? A very fast flames team might not have been the best matchup for him, though 61 sec does seem low.

Strangely, our slowest line of Smith Legwand and Neil was said to be the best line on the night by some, not sure what to make of that.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Missed the game, but the kid line was apparently struggling that night. How did Stone look? A very fast flames team might not have been the best matchup for him, though 61 sec does seem low.

Strangely, our slowest line of Smith Legwand and Neil was said to be the best line on the night by some, not sure what to make of that.

I think that's because they used their bodies well to shield the puck and were actually pretty successful in creating a cycle.

The kid line had their weakest game so far. Calgary speed neutralized their speed.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site

The SNL line looked like someone gave them a huge kick in the butt after the last game, as in "you better start playing with more jam or you'll be sitting soon". Each of them played with more urgency. The kid line looked passive, Hoffman especially, sort of waiting for things to happen instead of making them happen. No idea why Stone would only get 61 seconds in the 3rd.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Stone was struggling, so Mac shortened his bench. If a guy's ice time drops, it's for a reason - coaches don't plank guys because they don't like their haircut or somehow forgot about them. Coaches get paid to win games, and they make the decisions they think they need to make in order to do that.

That Calgary game really highlighted our overall lack of team speed. We have a few guys who can wheel, of course, but on the whole speed is a bit of a weakness for us, and the Flames neatly exploited that.

One final thought - Boro really seems to have hit a wall lately. The guy competes hard, but his skill limitations are an issue even in sheltered minutes. The club may need to ask themselves if he has continued upside, or if this is what we will get from him. If it's the latter, he's a scratch the second Methot is back in the lineup.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
There are a few of us who tire of the regular tone around here and voice it, most just stop posting, or leave completely. On the flip side, if we removed every poster who did little other than to be negative, and insult every player, coach, management, and decision made, there'd only be a handful of posters left. It reads here like rather than being populated by posters who like the team, it's filled with people who like trashing the team.

Easy for you to say, you don't have to read your posts ;) Try being a positive person sifting through these threads day after day. This isn't supposed to be a toilet for people's verbal trashings.

You need to be able to separate the quality of your posts, with the quality of yourself. No one is saying that posters are stupid, but lord knows people can post stupid things. We all do it.

Look around you and you will see endless examples of people complaining about every player, the coaches, the owner, etc... It's draining, and most complaining posts have no basis in fact or even logic. There is no problem questioning decisions, it's the WAY it's done here. People can't 'raise questions', they insult the coach/player, then go on to speak in definitive way about things that really have no idea about. And THEN they don't want to be challenged for behaving in such a way, and even worse seem to want a hug for their hurt feelings. I feel that if you're going to insult and post opinions in a negative way, then back it up when other posters come calling, don't try and hide behind moderators and the Constitution. There is discussion, and intelligent discussion, and we can all have the latter, it just takes more effort.

Oh, woe is you! No one is out to get you, or think you're stupid. People DO take offence to some of your posts.

Jesus, makes me shake my head. If you're going to come with an opinion, be prepared to defend it, without being able to hide behind someone else. This isn't the modern school yard with helicopter parents and participation badges.

No one is saying that PEOPLE are not intelligent, but some things that people POST are clearly not well thought out, and often made with the purpose of lashing out and dissing players, coaches, management, etc. I don't feel that I have to sit by quietly while it happens, and so sometimes I don't. My rights! My constitution! My... blah, blah, blah

Look, posting: "McLean is garbage because he's too stupid to play the 'kid line' more" is an unintelligent post, that is pointless beyond being rude. I take offence to them and sometimes point that out. Why in the world would pointless, rude posts, be protected from scrutiny? When you post level and thought out opinions, you tend to get the same back; try it and I guarantee that you'll see what I mean.

Ok, so go ahead and find a post where I say that the coach is garbage. I question the coach on things like player usage because I believe the coach to be stubborn at times but I always give a reason as to why I think differently.

I also read through a lot of the garbage that people spew and yet I find a way to not insult the intelligence of a person. You could also just choose to ignore the comment. Not sure why anyone would get so upset about one's comments if you think that their posts are not intelligent to begin with?

Trust me, I am not trying to hide behind the moderators as I have been warned before for making comments to certain people after they made the initial comment to instigate a response. Those same people are the one's that brought my post to the moderators.

Maybe if you don't like reading some of the less intelligent posts, you can go to a site where there are more intelligent ones.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ok, so go ahead and find a post where I say that the coach is garbage. I question the coach on things like player usage because I believe the coach to be stubborn at times but I always give a reason as to why I think differently.

I also read through a lot of the garbage that people spew and yet I find a way to not insult the intelligence of a person. You could also just choose to ignore the comment. Not sure why anyone would get so upset about one's comments if you think that their posts are not intelligent to begin with?

Trust me, I am not trying to hide behind the moderators as I have been warned before for making comments to certain people after they made the initial comment to instigate a response. Those same people are the one's that brought my post to the moderators.

Maybe if you don't like reading some of the less intelligent posts, you can go to a site where there are more intelligent ones.

I responded to you in particular because you were engaging me directly. You made some strong statements about me specifically, so I responded to you directly. Seems to make sense to me.

I don't call posters out for being stupid. I always try and deal with the post, not the person. The truth is, I know as well as anyone what it's like to spout off and then wish you could take it back. I rarely get upset here, but I do feel like defending players, coaches, and management from the child-like insults around here sometimes, just adds a tone of clutter between the good discussions.

I ignore 90% of it, but I don't feel that I have sit by quietly ALL the time while loud mouths spew their crap with no recourse. It's my cup of tea to do so sometimes, if it's not yours so be it, feel free to ignore my posts along with the rest of the spewed crap ;)

I'll explain it again: calling out the quality of a post is not an infractable offence, there is a difference between saying something is stupid, and someone is stupid, I know this difference all to well. When you throw out crap you should be ready for the fall out, I am, they should be, and so should you.

Why in the world would you defend unintelligent posts, ignore them sure, but to come out in defence is, well, curious to me. Maybe if I don't like a series of crap insulting posts I'll just speak out instead of run away, how about that? If you don't like my posts, feel free to bolt dude.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This team really needs some speed.

Time for another rebuild. Trade everybody and bring in players who can actually skate fast. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad