Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Flames - Sat 10PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This team really needs some speed.

Time for another rebuild. Trade everybody and bring in players who can actually skate fast. :sarcasm:

The real problem is finding guys who can skate fast WITH the puck, and then be able to something, anything, with it...

Speed can be countered in the D zone with solid positioning, and capitalizing on turnovers. Problems arise when teams try to run and gun with speedy teams rather than to stay patient and grind them down.

We have very little NHL experience on this team, but that will come, and with it better decision making. I'm not worried about this team countering speed, or systems. I'm more worried about a lack of finishing ability. Perhaps that will come as well.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I responded to you in particular because you were engaging me directly. You made some strong statements about me specifically, so I responded to you directly. Seems to make sense to me.

I don't call posters out for being stupid. I always try and deal with the post, not the person. The truth is, I know as well as anyone what it's like to spout off and then wish you could take it back. I rarely get upset here, but I do feel like defending players, coaches, and management from the child-like insults around here sometimes, just adds a tone of clutter between the good discussions.

I ignore 90% of it, but I don't feel that I have sit by quietly ALL the time while loud mouths spew their crap with no recourse. It's my cup of tea to do so sometimes, if it's not yours so be it, feel free to ignore my posts along with the rest of the spewed crap ;)

I'll explain it again: calling out the quality of a post is not an infractable offence, there is a difference between saying something is stupid, and someone is stupid, I know this difference all to well. When you throw out crap you should be ready for the fall out, I am, they should be, and so should you.

Why in the world would you defend unintelligent posts, ignore them sure, but to come out in defence is, well, curious to me. Maybe if I don't like a series of crap insulting posts I'll just speak out instead of run away, how about that? If you don't like my posts, feel free to bolt dude.

Actually my original response was directed to Canuckman44 with his to all those ignorant out there comment. I just agreed with one of the posters who mentioned your name as being infracted all the time. Never engaged with you directly but either way it doesn't matter.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Actually my original response was directed to Canuckman44 with his to all those ignorant out there comment. I just agreed with one of the posters who mentioned your name as being infracted all the time. Never engaged with you directly but either way it doesn't matter.

Say what?

I'm really not sure why you would be under the impression that I get infracted all the time.

It would be erroneous to make such an assumption, and in this small area, I can say with absolute confidence that I know for certain ;)

I do get that people don't like when others pound at their opinions, but where I come from, if you throw out criticisms, you better be ready to back them up, not run away complaining about freedom of speech and mods.

Anyways, feel free to have the last word on the subject and then we can move back to arguing over some more hockey related minutia ;)

Last edited:

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Say what?

I'm really not sure why you would be under the impression that I get infracted all the time.

It would be erroneous to make such an assumption, and in this small area, I can say with absolute confidence that I know for certain ;)

I do get that people don't like when others pound at their opinions, but where I come from, if you throw out criticisms, you better be ready to back them up, not run away complaining about freedom of speech and mods.

Anyways, feel free to have the last word on the subject and then we can move back to arguing over some more hockey related minutia ;)

If you actually go back and read what was said then you would understand the infraction part. ;)

I also get that people don't like to get called out for being arrogant and that's ok but if you would like to have the last word, I would be so happy to read your rant. ;)

simplefan

May 25, 2008
The real problem is finding guys who can skate fast WITH the puck, and then be able to something, anything, with it...

Speed can be countered in the D zone with solid positioning, and capitalizing on turnovers. Problems arise when teams try to run and gun with speedy teams rather than to stay patient and grind them down.

We have very little NHL experience on this team, but that will come, and with it better decision making. I'm not worried about this team countering speed, or systems. I'm more worried about a lack of finishing ability. Perhaps that will come as well.

Right on. The only people on the team who can handle the puck on the forecheck are MacTurret, EK, Hoff, Ryan, Chiasson, Stone, Ceci (on the rise), Lazar.
I've seen this team be so effective when the first pass was made to the guy going at top speed. And also the D to D pass and that first pass were quick and crisp. That generates a lot of speed.

Then in the O zone, using the boards a lot helps, having a guy in high slot used as pivot between the D at blue line, being strong on the puck gives us much team speed.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Who is saying this? What strawman are you arguing here?

To be fair, any time anyone criticizes the coach you'll get someone saying "look at these arm chair coaches thinking they know better than a real NHL coach"

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To be fair, any time anyone criticizes the coach you'll get someone saying "look at these arm chair coaches thinking they know better than a real NHL coach"

I think even that's a stretch...

I've seen people suggest reason's that the coach may have made a decision that some don't agree with, for example picking Greening in the shootout because of what he saw in practice, or playing Legwand more because he's our top Lefthanded center on faceoffs, but I haven't seen anyone come out and say he's an NHL coach so his choices are undoubtably superior to what HFsens posters suggest.

I think it's fair to be critical of his decisions, but I think the tone used probably causes some of the defensive responses. A comment like "Best players play" with no additional insight probably deserves a "look at these armchair coaches" response.

Personally, I'd like to see less of Karlsson doing the full 4 mins on the PP (get Ceci out there), no more Legwand or Turris manning the point on the PP and more Stone and Hoffman on the 2nd unit. I think these changes would freshen up our PP. Michalek probaly deserves less PP time too.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I've seen people suggest reason's that the coach may have made a decision that some don't agree with, for example picking Greening in the shootout because of what he saw in practice, or playing Legwand more because he's our top Lefthanded center on faceoffs, but I haven't seen anyone come out and say he's an NHL coach so his choices are undoubtably superior to what HFsens posters suggest.

I think it's fair to be critical of his decisions, but I think the tone used probably causes some of the defensive responses. A comment like "Best players play" with no additional insight probably deserves a "look at these armchair coaches" response.

Personally, I'd like to see less of Karlsson doing the full 4 mins on the PP (get Ceci out there), no more Legwand or Turris manning the point on the PP and more Stone and Hoffman on the 2nd unit. I think these changes would freshen up our PP. Michalek probaly deserves less PP time too.

I would like those changes that you mentioned, but what do we know, were just armchair GMs and armchair coaches.

"Why did we resign michalek, he's useless." <- armchair gm

"What does 6-goals-in-5-games hoffman gotta do to get more ice time?" <- armchair coach.

It's not just this thread, but any thread where a group questions the gm,coach, or players, we get really defensive posters making snide remarks "what do you know, you aren't an NHL coach hahahaha" or you'll get the "this board is so negative I can't even!!"

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Perhaps Hoffman can be eased onto the point more and more. From what I gather in Bingo, he did a lot of that. If things trend in the same way for him (taking a while to get going in various leagues), maybe that can be extrapolated to positional duties, and he can eventually become extremely effective on the PP.

All in good time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would like those changes that you mentioned, but what do we know, were just armchair GMs and armchair coaches.

"Why did we resign michalek, he's useless." <- armchair gm

"What does 6-goals-in-5-games hoffman gotta do to get more ice time?" <- armchair coach.

It's not just this thread, but any thread where a group questions the gm,coach, or players, we get really defensive posters making snide remarks "what do you know, you aren't an NHL coach hahahaha" or you'll get the "this board is so negative I can't even!!"

Perhaps I just gloss over the airmchair GM comments, as I don't remember them other than people complaining about them. I know it will happen from time to time, just like any snude remarks...

My take is to try and stick with discusing what happened and leave the snide stuff aside, but hey, even I can get get drawn in from time to time...

Perhaps Hoffman can be eased onto the point more and more. From what I gather in Bingo, he did a lot of that. If things trend in the same way for him (taking a while to get going in various leagues), maybe that can be extrapolated to positional duties, and he can eventually become extremely effective on the PP.

All in good time.

Maybe use him on the second unit's point, idk, might work well with Ceci.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
One big issue for me is that we don't have anyone to work the corner on the powerplay.

A strong PP operates from the point and from the corner. We have EK and Ceci to manage the point on PP1 & PP2, but a strong player along the boards is what we are lacking.

Turris is ok, but he's no Spezza or Alfie. Even if turris out there for the 1st minute, we don't have anyone else for the 2nd group.

I'd like to see Stone or Lazar be groomed to fill that role. No clue what the coaching staff's plan going forward is.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Perhaps I just gloss over the airmchair GM comments, as I don't remember them other than people complaining about them. I know it will happen from time to time, just like any snude remarks...

My take is to try and stick with discusing what happened and leave the snide stuff aside, but hey, even I can get get drawn in from time to time...

Maybe use him on the second unit's point, idk, might work well with Ceci.

I do have to work on not getting sucked in and ignoring it. ;)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I would like to see Hoffman on the PP too as he would add more speed and movement instead of the static positioning we see which relies on passing the puck with little attack from players who are moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad