Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Flames - Sat 10PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'm looking forward to this game. Much of the Flames' offense comes from their back end, both by setting up plays and shots. The Sens match up well against this type of team, should be fun to watch.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Two years ago the Pesky Sens ,who were expected to be bottom feeders, went to the 2nd round of the payoffs defeating the higher seeded Habs.

The year beofre that they were expected to finish dead last in the conference but took the rangers to game 7.

Last year is the only year under Maclean that they disappointed, but then they had a profound shake up losing their long time captain and heart and soul.

We all-or at least most of us-hope they can get back to their pesky ways. Or gritty as Ryan would prefer.

This year they were again picked to finish at the bottom of the conference , they have the lowest payroll in the NHL and more players that are new to the NHL than other teams so I guess they must be doing something to keep their heads above water.

Yeah, sorry. Probably should have said 3 years ago. An NHL executive said that the sens weren't getting the calls their way because they had developed a reputation of being lazy. Players have called out the organization for not being serious enough upon leaving. This was noticed enough for ea sports NHL game commentators to talk about.

Were much better now, but not top 2.

The fact that we went from maybe the laziest team to a middle or above average team makes it look like night and day and may cause people to overestimate where we stand relative to the league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
SensChirp @SensChirp said:
Karri Ramo (2-2-1, 2.85, .901) starts for the #Flames. Craig Anderson (5-2-3, 2.05, .942) gets the call for the #Sens.

The trend of Ottawa getting other teams backups continues.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is how I see it:

We are facing a team that we match up very well against. Hardworking teams with not that much skill but can score because of their work ethic.

However, since we're playing Anderson and they're playing Ramo, anything short of a win is disappointing.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
This game will be on either CBC or City right?!

I might finally get to watch a Saturday night game at home this year!

Karlsson2Turris*

Although I love Lehner, it's great that Maclean is going with Anderson for this road trip.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Not sure why anyone would argue that we match up well against hard working teams. We consistently lose to teams like that.

Consistent teams with skill are the ones that match up well against hard working teams. We are pretty much the polar opposite of consistent.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure why anyone would argue that we match up well against hard working teams. We consistently lose to teams like that.

Consistent teams with skill are the ones that match up well against hard working teams. We are pretty much the polar opposite of consistent.

Who are the hard working teams?

We were 2-0-0 against StL last year, who I've always considered the prototypical hardworking team. Nashville always seemed like a hardworking team, and we were 1-0-1 against them. Clb we were 2-1-0 against. Calgary we were 1-1-0.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

We beat CLB twice. They're the definition of hard-working. We also beat Det, Min and Tampa who work their a***es off.

We've lost to Chi twice and Boston once cause they have more skill than us. We lost to Toronto cause of goaltending.

We are a pretty hard-working team. The only times we've lost is cause either goaltending wasn't great or cause we don't have enough skill to compensate for weak games by our skilled players(Most notably Karlsson).

Ryan has been a no show offensively for what he's supposed to be capable of. He's been our 3rd or even 4th best winger after: MacArthur, Stone, Chiasson and even Hoffman.

After that we have no top end skill from our winger positions.

Ryan has been battling injuries it seems but we need one more top end winger(INSTEAD OF ****ING MICHALEK) to be a hardworking team with skill to win even more games.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Yeah, sorry. Probably should have said 3 years ago. An NHL executive said that the sens weren't getting the calls their way because they had developed a reputation of being lazy. Players have called out the organization for not being serious enough upon leaving. This was noticed enough for ea sports NHL game commentators to talk about.

Were much better now, but not top 2.

The fact that we went from maybe the laziest team to a middle or above average team makes it look like night and day and may cause people to overestimate where we stand relative to the league.

Three years ago pretty well every hockey publication and prognosticator called for the Sens to come in last in the conference. instead they made the playoffs and took the Rangers to Game 7 and had a couple of calls gone their way might have advanced further.

There were a lot of bad calls on the Sens that year, maybe this unnamed NHL Executive was trying to excuse the refs with this reference to being a lazy team. I had never heard that explanation before .Usually the excuses for the reffing was that it had to do with a first time NHL coach calling out the refs or players talking back..

It is not unusual for departing players to take parting shots at their old team and butter up their new team, though the only one I can think of that did so that year was Daugavins and he took his shots but then was out of the NHL the next year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cool. Great addition.

And you proved you don't watch any other teams play regularly. Congrats. Were not in the 2 hardest working teams, sorry.

I have to agree with this, the sens have a few players that take shifts off. Some teams don't have those.

Not to say the sens don't work hard but pretty much every team does... Its about consistently working hard and working smart.

Looking forward to watch Paul Byron play the sens, he's a great guy that's beaten all the odds.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is how I see it:

We are facing a team that we match up very well against. Hardworking teams with not that much skill but can score because of their work ethic.

However, since we're playing Anderson and they're playing Ramo, anything short of a win is disappointing.

Ramo was really good last year and he has been good this year too, not sure why you think its such a difference.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Coach said they don't expect him back this month, though he might just be playing tricks on us. He only just started practicing with the team so I don't expect anything soon.

I wouldn't trust what Maclean says.

When Karlsson was injured and he was seen skating with the team in practice, the coach pretty much said the same thing and Karlsson was back within a game or two.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Coach said they don't expect him back this month, though he might just be playing tricks on us. He only just started practicing with the team so I don't expect anything soon.

Well they brought him on the trip and he was practicing in place of Phillips yesterday

I thought there was a chance he could slot in tonight

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well they brought him on the trip and he was practicing in place of Phillips yesterday

I thought there was a chance he could slot in tonight

I think it was the same interview where the coach said he might come on the road trip where he said he didn't expect him to suit up for a game this month. Could be mistaken though.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Still no news on if Methot is in?

I thought they ruled him out for the road trip, but brought him along so he can practice. Remember, he needs to get in game shape.

I wonder if he would be opposed to a 2 week conditioning stint in bingo starting this week.

BigBush*

I thought they ruled him out for the road trip, but brought him along so he can practice. Remember, he needs to get in game shape.

I wonder if he would be opposed to a 2 week conditioning stint in bingo starting this week.

Does that actually happen? Ive never heard of a player coming off IR and playing in the AHL for a few weeks to get some conditioning in

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does that actually happen? Ive never heard of a player coming off IR and playing in the AHL for a few weeks to get some conditioning in

I think Horvat and Drouin both had conditioning stints this year. It's rarer with vets like Methot, as they have to agree to be sent down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad