Confirmed with Link: Sens Extend Methot - 4 years, $4.9 million per year

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
The weak dollar is great for nhlers in Canada, and makes up for a nice chunk of the tax gap with some US states. It won't rival some of the very low tax states (Texas, Illinois) but makes a big difference.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Term and dollars are perfect, cudos to Murray for pulling through! Also looks like hes feeling pretty good by the pic. 4 more years of hip checks!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Awesome signing. Perfect term and the money is significantly less than what Methot would have gotten as a UFA on July 1st.

Top 4 is now set going forward:

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci

With the continued development of Cowen and Ceci, that's a more than capable top 4.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
Great deal! Good on Methot for taking a little less money and term to stay where he is happy. Skating along side EK65 is a really treat no other team in the NHL can provide. Really happy he is here for the long haul, and if he is healthy and fit in 4 years, he can still get another NHL contract. This team desparately needs his service, as a fan, I am really happy about this deal :handclap:.

Now, we can just shore up 2nd and 3rd pairings with some more real NHL d-men, that would be sweet.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Fantastic news. Melnyk showing once again that he's not afraid to spend the money to lock up core pieces.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yes!!!! Great way to start the day (woke up late so sue me, it's family day!)

Does it mean I finally get to remove the "Waiting for Methot" sign under my avatar now?

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
original

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Awesome signing. Perfect term and the money is significantly less than what Methot would have gotten as a UFA on July 1st.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci

With the continued development of Cowen and Ceci, that's a more than capable top 4.

That's what Murray was saying when talking about that he likes the defense going forward. If/when Cowen/Ceci break out, that's going to be good. Plus, we should be able to improve the 5-6-7 positions in the upcoming years with some of Englund, Wikstrand, Harpur and Claesson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I like it! Less money than I thought but still in the same range. Thought he'd get a little more than 5. The term is also good, I think overall it's a very fair deal for both sides.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I really love this signing. The team needs him going forward, and as long as he stays healthy he will be a force when teamed with Karlsson.

Good job BM!

I think it says we willing to spend on the core which is very good.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think it says we willing to spend on the core which is very good.

It is good that we re-signed Methot.

Every team spends more on some players and less on others. His raw salary increase per season is less than $2 MM, and can be more than offset by simply moving out Wiercioch for picks. Spending on the core only matters if you are willing to spend on depth as well, and we have no idea yet how that will shake down.

Just be happy for the signing, and worry about the spending stuff when there is more info to go on. There are many ways this can play out.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
It is good that we re-signed Methot.

What you are saying means nothing though. Every team spends more on some players and less on others. His raw salary increase per season is less than $2 MM, and can be more than offset by simply moving out Wiercioch for picks. Spending on the core only matters if you are willing to spend on depth as well, and we have no idea yet how that will shake down.

Just be happy for the signing, and worry about the spending stuff when there is more info to go on. There are many ways this can play out.

Its important to spend on the core some teams don't.

Master Kush

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci

Yes, perfectly capable of missing the playoffs again next year.

Cowen - Ceci would be fine as a third paring, but not in the top 4 atm if you want to be a contender.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
What a relief. I was getting less and less hopeful about a deal ever happening, to the point where I was legitimately surprised to hear this. Great news! (and a great deal, too)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad