Confirmed with Link: Sens Extend Methot - 4 years, $4.9 million per year

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The turnaround coincides with his return imo. Biggest reason for what's happened besides Maclean being dismissed. It's a tie really. Allows our D to be slotted in accordingly and gives Karlsson the green light to do his thing.

So you're saying that Phillips took unfair bashing because he was playing way outside of his comfort zone? That's what several people were saying (you probably did as well) but the masses didn't listen

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So you're saying that Phillips took unfair bashing because he was playing way outside of his comfort zone? That's what several people were saying (you probably did as well) but the masses didn't listen
Phillips is indeed NOW playing in his comfort zone, and that is thanks to a coach who was finally able to identify this.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Phillips is indeed NOW playing in his comfort zone, and that is thanks to a coach who was finally able to identify this.

Phillips is suffering from a terrible case of soreness. Cameron has nothing to do with him being out:sarcasm:

Ttracer*

Too much money but for a small town like Ottawa this is awesome!

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Ottawa's municipal population is over 1.1 million, larger than Pittsburgh, St Louis, tampa bay, Newark, Anaheim amongst other teams. Learn your geography.

You need to learn geography. Only NHL city smaller then Ottawa is Winnipeg. Calgary and Edmonton are about the same size as Ottawa.

Different cities in different states and provinces have different ways to politically define a "city". All that matters is the metro area with a reasonable drive to the arena. Abd their respective TV markets. Anaheim and Newark are parts of the 2 biggest TV markets in North America. The Isles and Devils survive a lot due to huge MSG TV deals.

St. Louis has 2.9 million people if you can say Ottawa has 1.1 million. Both are cities on a river with parts of the Metro in another state.

The Tampa Bay area has up to 4.4 million depending on how you define it. Pittsburgh 2.3.

Obviously there are far more hockey fans per capita in Canadian cities then in American ones, though cities like Buffalo or Pittsburgh have a ton of hardcore fans, despite being among the smallest US NHL cities in population.

Saying Anaheim is smaller then Ottawa is a very funny thing to say.

Would you say Scarborough is smaller then Ottawa? And forget it is in an urban area 5 times the size of Ottawa?

It would be like pretending that The Ottawa Senators should only count the population of Kanata... Which when the Arena was built was the proper geographical city which hosted the Arena because the city of Ottawa had not amalgamated yet. It wasn't until 2001.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Sens Rule

Ottawa-Gatineau is around 1.3 some say its more around 1.4 but if you go by the American Standards where some include areas around the city Ottawa would be 1.7 million.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ottawa's municipal population is over 1.1 million, larger than Pittsburgh, St Louis, tampa bay, Newark, Anaheim amongst other teams. Learn your geography.

Remember: most U.S. cities haven't "amalgamated" like Ottawa did. You are comparing Ottawa's METRO population to other cities' CENTRAL populations.

Metro Pittsburgh: 2.358 million people
Metro St Louis: 2.796 million
Metro Tampa Bay: ~3.8 million
Metro Orange County (Anaheim): 3.114 million
Metro Ottawa: 1.237 million

The only one that is even debatable is Newark, aka Essex County NJ, whose NJ-based pop is about 790k, but it's also generally considered to be part of the NYC metro area, which is 19+ mil.

... so maybe you should learn YOUR geography before you call out others on theirs.

Sens Rule

Ottawa-Gatineau is around 1.3 some say its more around 1.4 but if you go by the American Standards where some include areas around the city Ottawa would be 1.7 million.

There is no way we could ever get to 1.7, that would cover an area that is WAY larger than most "American Standards". Ottawa is already considered to have FAR too many people counted among it's official population who really have no business being included.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Remember: most U.S. cities haven't "amalgamated" like Ottawa did. You are comparing Ottawa's METRO population to other cities' CENTRAL populations.

Metro Pittsburgh: 2.358 million people
Metro St Louis: 2.796 million
Metro Tampa Bay: ~3.8 million
Metro Orange County (Anaheim): 3.114 million
Metro Ottawa: 1.237 million

The only one that is even debatable is Newark, aka Essex County NJ, whose NJ-based pop is about 790k, but it's also generally considered to be part of the NYC metro area, which is 19+ mil.

... so maybe you should learn YOUR geography before you call out others on theirs.

Ottawa is over 1.3 closer to 1.4.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ottawa is over 1.3 closer to 1.4.

I'm going by the official 2011 census, which I believe was the last official census on record. I'm sure the population is a little more at this point after 3+ years, but I wanted the latest accurate, official stat, not just a guestimate. All of the other figures I gave were "official" numbers from roughly the same time period (2010-2013ish), except for Tampa's, which was a little more vague.

You are unnecessarily nitpicking irrelevant details in a losing argument.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Of course I know these comments were coming, but even more obviously I was talking about Phillips playing easier minutes and responsibilities on the 3rd pair vs first line minutes, PP, etc.

I don't care if not a lot of Sens fans give him credit for doing it for the Sens and taking a big hit on his "reputation", but I do. Thanks for what you did for the team Chris. At least you know you have a few fans here that still know what being grateful is.

I'm saying he should have been thanked and praised for playing outside of his comfort zone because this young rebuilding team had no choice; instead of putting younger guys like Cowen and Wiercioch in a position to fail.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Of course I know these comments were coming, but even more obviously I was talking about Phillips playing easier minutes and responsibilities on the 3rd pair vs first line minutes, PP, etc.

I don't care if not a lot of Sens fans give him credit for doing it for the Sens and taking a big hit on his "reputation", but I do. Thanks for what you did for the team Chris. At least you know you have a few fans here that still know what being grateful is.

I'm saying he should have been thanked and praised for playing outside of his comfort zone because this young rebuilding team had no choice; instead of putting younger guys like Cowen and Wiercioch in a position to fail.

I see what you're saying, but on the other hand, at some point you gotta see what you've got in your players. The PMac system of play the vets to insulate the rookies clearly wasn't the best choice now that we see how well the young guys can play.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I see what you're saying, but on the other hand, at some point you gotta see what you've got in your players. The PMac system of play the vets to insulate the rookies clearly wasn't the best choice now that we see how well the young guys can play.

Yes you're right but at the same time maybe that MacLean period was what those young guys needed to be really "ready"...

Anyway, I'm happy our young guys weren't thrown to the wolves too fast and it's starting to really pay off when you see what Hoffman, Stone, Pageau and Borowiecki can do. Lazar and Ceci were graduated very fast but they are mature beyond their years, exceptional players. Cowen was graduated very fast too but his problem is more the injury that kinda derailed his career. But I'm not worried, he will be back on track, maybe not with the Sens though if they stop being patient

BigBush*

Yes you're right but at the same time maybe that MacLean period was what those young guys needed to be really "ready"...

Exactly. MacLean deserves some credit for what he did over the 3 years while he was here.

I think he got his message across to the young guys on the team

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Don't misunderstand me. I'm never blaming the player. I'm all praise for Phillips. He's played physical minutes for bazillion years for this team. Playoff warrior. Community guy.

Phillips didn't put a gun to anyone's head when he negotiated his contract. Good for him for extracting as much money and term as he did. Didn't even use an agent!

It's also not his fault that a coach believed he was our best solution for the PP, or a guy to play on the top 2 or in important minutes late in games. It's coaching decisions like these that end up making us curse at a player even though the player is trying his best given the situation.

If Phillips had been traded last year at the deadline and given one more opportunity at the cup I would have rooted for him.

I still like him, especially now that he's not taking a better player's spot. And again it wasn't his fault that he was.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Don't misunderstand me. I'm never blaming the player. I'm all praise for Phillips. He's played physical minutes for bazillion years for this team. Playoff warrior. Community guy.

Phillips didn't put a gun to anyone's head when he negotiated his contract. Good for him for extracting as much money and term as he did. Didn't even use an agent!

It's also not his fault that a coach believed he was our best solution for the PP, or a guy to play on the top 2 or in important minutes late in games. It's coaching decisions like these that end up making us curse at a player even though the player is trying his best given the situation.

If Phillips had been traded last year at the deadline and given one more opportunity at the cup I would have rooted for him.

I still like him, especially now that he's not taking a better player's spot. And again it wasn't his fault that he was.

It's what I call a retirement contract... After all he did for this franchise, he was deserving that "last" contract, it happens in every city... Phillips was not a plumber for this team, he was a building block and there's a reason he has the most games as a Sen record...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad