Low Effort GDT Sens @ Devils 7pm on TSN - Chumbawamba edition

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
His game and his physical maturity have really come along. Hands , vision, passing, physicality, puck battles.. His release and his shot are outstanding. Top line RW.

I think Norris has been good as well but not great even though he leads the team in goals 10, 4 on the PP. I do think as Stutzle gains more strength and experience at C he could grow into our #1C. To me it looks like Batherson and Tkachuk have taken another step while Norris has stayed about the same but that can change .. he has a little less experience and his step is still to come.

Speaks to how good Batherson has been and also the lack of depth on this team but when Batherson has been out of the lineup it leaves a huge hole. Batherson is rolling along with 20 pts in 18 games.

Tkachuk has 18 pts in 20 games , all at even strength. He has definitely shaken off any rust he had from the late start now.

We are a 1 line team. That may not be fair to Stu and C Brown perhaps, but we do not have a complete 2nd line. Everyone is willing to live with that but when we played the best D together Chabot and Zub.. there was a lot of clamoring to break that pair up to balance it out... we don't have that same clamoring with the forwards. While Chabot and Zub have been good... they were great together.

Good post! While I agree with you on Batherson & Tkachuk, I would like to say that Norris at 22 yrs old plays against the best centres in the league most nights & doesn't usually look out of place. He is also IMO the defensive concience on that line & is usually the first guy back defending when they lose the puck. Of the three his offence is less dramatic as he usually scores on one timers & rarely if ever dangles. I see no reason to split those three guys up just to try & bolster other lines or players, it could even hurt the team more.

This is also why Pinto is so imporant, he seems like one of the guys who can play with Stutzle & help create another good scoring line which they desperately need, secondary scoring. They played well together with C. Brown, but IMO need someone a little better or different. C. Brown IMO can make his own offence & does most nights but he also seems to have good chemistry with Paul & they form two thirds of a good line too. Greig is having a very good yr in junior & I expect he could surprise next yr as another young addition who could be NHL ready sooner rather than later.

IMO Thomson has done well in the top 4 whether paired with Chabot or others & should likely start there next yr. With the addition of Sanderson that should give Ottawa four decent defencemen at least to start the yr & we'll see how they progress from there. It would be great if they add a top 4 RD, but I doubt we see that since those guys are at a premium. JBD is also a RD that I expect to start challenging for a roster spot next season & the positions that need to be filled are slowly being filled from within.

Next yr:
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Stutzle - Pinto
Paul - White/Greig - C. Brown

Chabot - Thomson
Sanderson - Zub/JBD

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Devil's defense was a gone show. P.K. Subban is no match to Zub. For me he is on the same level now as Thomson, which is just not good. Devil's defense was coughing up pucks all game long. Ottawa just could not convert. Paul should not play with Stutzle. No creativity, no finish. I mean we were crying for so long to use Tim at a center ice position. And now he looks like legit number one. Winning FO % this game for him at 60% - the best on a team. All his few turnovers resulted because he plays with wingers, who are not fast and smart enough and do not go to break out zones and do not read him well. I still believe after the hand injury he suffered he still can not shoot the pucks as he wants to, but better things are coming.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
His game and his physical maturity have really come along. Hands , vision, passing, physicality, puck battles.. His release and his shot are outstanding. Top line RW.

I think Norris has been good as well but not great even though he leads the team in goals 10, 4 on the PP. I do think as Stutzle gains more strength and experience at C he could grow into our #1C. To me it looks like Batherson and Tkachuk have taken another step while Norris has stayed about the same but that can change .. he has a little less experience and his step is still to come.

Speaks to how good Batherson has been and also the lack of depth on this team but when Batherson has been out of the lineup it leaves a huge hole. Batherson is rolling along with 20 pts in 18 games.

Tkachuk has 18 pts in 20 games , all at even strength. He has definitely shaken off any rust he had from the late start now.

We are a 1 line team. That may not be fair to Stu and C Brown perhaps, but we do not have a complete 2nd line. Everyone is willing to live with that but when we played the best D together Chabot and Zub.. there was a lot of clamoring to break that pair up to balance it out... we don't have that same clamoring with the forwards. While Chabot and Zub have been good... they were great together.

Absolutely, I like Norris too, but he's nowhere near Bath's level yet. Although, this year of development will mean a lot for him I think.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
While I agree with you on Batherson & Tkachuk, I would like to say that Norris at 22 yrs old plays against the best centres in the league most nights & doesn't usually look out of place. He is also IMO the defensive concience on that line & is usually the first guy back defending when they lose the puck.

I would have agreed with you last season, but I feel like Tkachuk and Batherson are the first ones back nowadays, which I'm not complaining about (it might be coaching), I'm just more impressed by Tkachuk stealing Paul's motor and playing like a 2-way beast. Norris seems to always be in a position to be activated IMO, seemed like last night's game he hung back a little in case Batherson or Tkachuk forced a turnover. That's a good thing though, but it might be a sign he doesn't have the conditioning of the other two.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This is a useless message from a useless reporter. Moderator please delete (wrong thread).

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Good post! While I agree with you on Batherson & Tkachuk, I would like to say that Norris at 22 yrs old plays against the best centres in the league most nights & doesn't usually look out of place. He is also IMO the defensive concience on that line & is usually the first guy back defending when they lose the puck. Of the three his offence is less dramatic as he usually scores on one timers & rarely if ever dangles. I see no reason to split those three guys up just to try & bolster other lines or players, it could even hurt the team more.

This is also why Pinto is so imporant, he seems like one of the guys who can play with Stutzle & help create another good scoring line which they desperately need, secondary scoring. They played well together with C. Brown, but IMO need someone a little better or different. C. Brown IMO can make his own offence & does most nights but he also seems to have good chemistry with Paul & they form two thirds of a good line too. Greig is having a very good yr in junior & I expect he could surprise next yr as another young addition who could be NHL ready sooner rather than later.

IMO Thomson has done well in the top 4 whether paired with Chabot or others & should likely start there next yr. With the addition of Sanderson that should give Ottawa four decent defencemen at least to start the yr & we'll see how they progress from there. It would be great if they add a top 4 RD, but I doubt we see that since those guys are at a premium. JBD is also a RD that I expect to start challenging for a roster spot next season & the positions that need to be filled are slowly being filled from within.

Next yr:

Chabot - Thomson
Sanderson - Zub/JBD

If we are serious about being a playoff team next year we can't go in with this roster

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Next yr:

Chabot - Thomson
Sanderson - Zub/JBD
I was not suggesting they get split up. Norris belongs there for now. When Stutzle gets stronger he could replace him as the #1C. I believe is what I was trying to say if I did not say that.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was not suggesting they get split up. Norris belongs there for now. When Stutzle gets stronger he could replace him as the #1C. I believe is what I was trying to say if I did not say that.
Yes, IMO Stutzle & Pinto need to create a 2nd secondary scoring line if they can find a RWer who can score & compliment the skillset of those two & challenge that first line to be a top line.

Boucher could be the Tkachuk of that 2nd line if Stutzle can be the playmaker (Batherson) & Pinto as the faceoff guy (Norris) & defensive conscience of the line. They will need Boucher to score consistently though & that remains to be seen. I agree with everything else you said in that post though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If we are serious about being a playoff team next year we can't go in with this roster

Always easier said than done right, including adding quality players without giving up the better prospects/picks in any trade. The UFAs available in free agency are usually looking to join playoff teams that are contending for a SC if they are decent players. Or guys looking for one more contract before retirement which seems to be the guys we do end up with.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Paul is reverting back to the old Paul, the one who could not crack the line-up. I do agree he is playing way to high in the line-up. He is 3rd liner when on top of his game.

He is not helping himself being a UFA at the end of the year. That is only reason he could turn it around at some point but DJ is not helping him.

Paul is showing exactly what he is: a third line winger at best. Hope the Senators sign him as such.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This is something worth considering. But they have to be good and have term. I don't want rentals right now.
Definitely not rentals, yeah. We'll have to pay and Dorion absolutely sucks at trading, but if someone becomes available, it's time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad