Post-Game Talk: Sens destroy the Flames - 6-1

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe we will trade it for Matthew Tkachuk.
I'd do that for sure but i think they'd want something on top of that which would hurt; think Batherson or Brannstrom.

Anyways, great game, not much to complain about in that one.

Can't wait for Dzingel and L.Brown to be integrated into the lineup but I'm guessing the earliest we see that is Monday or Tuesday.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I thought the D struggled with the puck on their sticks last night but Calgary was bad and couldn’t take advantage. Zub/Reilly had a tough time against the Flames top line. I thought it was the most physical game the Sens have played and overall a very nice game.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought the D struggled with the puck on their sticks last night but Calgary was bad and couldn’t take advantage. Zub/Reilly had a tough time against the Flames top line. I thought it was the most physical game the Sens have played and overall a very nice game.

Overall I'd agree with you about the D struggling but there didn't seem to be the catastrophic errors that we saw in tge past; Chabot had that brainfart where he skated the puck from the corner into traffic in our slot turning it over, he also collided with Zaitsev, and Brannstrom had that weak backhand pass attempt but nobody that i recall got walked in embarrassing fashion. Gudbranson i barely noticed (which is good), he was just out there being physical, and aside from some trouble clearing our end and breaking up cycles we didn't give up a lot of chances.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Overall I'd agree with you about the D struggling but there didn't seem to be the catastrophic errors that we saw in tge past; Chabot had that brainfart where he skated the puck from the corner into traffic in our slot turning it over, he also collided with Zaitsev, and Brannstrom had that weak backhand pass attempt but nobody that i recall got walked in embarrassing fashion. Gudbranson i barely noticed (which is good), he was just out there being physical, and aside from some trouble clearing our end and breaking up cycles we didn't give up a lot of chances.
They were the same errors IMO it’s just that Calgary couldn’t turn them into goals or even great scoring chances.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
We're a #1 C away (to play between Stu and Bath) from having a pretty damned good top two lines, with a pretty damned good bottom 6 on top of it. That's a big missing piece, but progress for sure. D getting there and hopefully we can get better goaltending (like we did last night) more consistently. Kids are improving as we go this year, exactly what we all hoped would happen.

Sens Sickos might be up there with my fav group. That late 90's team was special, Pizza line era was incredible, loved those pesky Sens and the Hamburgler run was unreal as a fan. This group is quickly rising the ladder. Love'em.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
8DEEAC75-B0F7-4AA1-9020-071784850040.jpeg

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
you need to check out the various sites: Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal..they are in full blown hysteria mode.

And here we are sitting near last in the league thrilled our young players are leading the team!!!

Go sens Go. It's a nice change of pace around here. And I'm happy we are playing more competitive this month.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
Brannstrom playing 12 minutes tonight - had a Senator ever stood out as much only playing 12 minutes a night?

Tough to get minutes when Reilly/Zub get stuck on the ice for 3 minute shifts cuz they're hemmed in and Chabot plays 3 minute shifts cuz he feels like it (only half joking on these).

On the goal, lotta people giving Dadonov stick for not clearing the zone when he had a chance. Of course she should have cleared it, but Zub made two bonehead passes off the wall to no one in particular early in that shift. I like what Zub has brought but thought that he had his worst game yesterday.

Love Brannstrom's no look shot. It may never work again in his life but a cool goal. We got a bit lucky to catch Rittich on an off night, but we were clearly the better team throughout the game.

Reactions: Emrasie and DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We may never lose again.

Unfortunately I missed the game. Who stood out today?

Colin White made the most of 12:05 of TOI. Was lucky on his first goal as it was really bad one to give up, the puck was actually going to the side of the net.

Gudbranson had by far his best game as a Senators IMO. His usage was also good, 17:29 but there was no PK so actually hard to quantify here. But he was solid, made the right play almost all the time. And kinda covered Brannstrom who is struggling defensively a bit more every game. He has a weird habit of holding onto the puck when pressure is coming on him, even if he had a chance to clear just before. Which results in turnovers most of the time.

Chabot made a really bad turnover which luckily didn't hurt but outside of that, a strong game as usual. He needs to "clean" his game defensively though. We need to get this guy a first pairing RD. Fingers crossed that this guy is JBD.

Matt Murray was very solid, particularly in the 3rd. As a goalie I can testify that working with a lead can give you a boost of confidence. If your team doesn't score, the pressure just adds on.

Stutzle and Batherson desperatly need a faster 2-way center because they are getting caved in at ES. Their high end skill allow them to score but 34.4 CF% (ES) with Anisimov. It was getting better with Stepan lately, unfortunately he got hurt

Nick Paul is just my prototypical perfect bottom-6 forward. He's so strong, he's so smart, he's so patient and he's got just enough skill. Nick Paul and Connor Brown have to be in long term plans, at least 5-6 more seasons. They're so good defensively and can hurt you on the score sheet as well.

Josh Norris is such a smart player, good at basically everything. He was setting up Tkachuk left and right and taking care of business defensively, his advanced stats are great for a rookie. I love Connor Brown but they would need Batherson in there. Some Norris advanced stats at ES, among the 29 forward rookies that have played at least 100 TOI so far :

TOI/GP : 7th
CF/60 : 3rd
CA/60 : 14th
CF% : 4th
SF/60 : 3rd
SA/60 : 13th
SF% : 3rd
GF/60 : 12th
GA/60 : 21st
GF% : 18th
SCF/60 : 2nd
SCA/60 : 14th
SCF% : 2nd
HDCF/60 : 1st
HDCA/60 : 16th
HDCF% : 2nd

Only his GF% looks bad, which is explained by being on a bad team, who should convert more and also defend better.

My lineup once Dzingel joins the team (I know we also would want to make a Stutzle/Batherson duo):

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Paul-Dadonov
Dzingel-White-Brown
Peca-Tierney-Watson

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I'd do that for sure but i think they'd want something on top of that which would hurt; think Batherson or Brannstrom.

Anyways, great game, not much to complain about in that one.

Can't wait for Dzingel and L.Brown to be integrated into the lineup but I'm guessing the earliest we see that is Monday or Tuesday.
I would give them our unprotected 1st this year, Brannstrom, and Logan Brown.

Your 2021-2022 Ottawa Senators:

Tkachuk Stutzle Tkachuk
Formenton Norris Batherson
Paul White Dadonov
Brown Pinto Watson
(Grieg LW as soon as ready)

Chabot Zub
Sanderson Zaitsev
Wolanin JBD
Gudbranson

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dzingel should be a welcome addition. Being in a contract year he should be giving everything he got and he can bring something we've been missing since the beginning of the year and that's speed. The team is playing a lot better lately, but replace a guy like Peca in the lineup with Dzingel and then maybe give a shot to Logan Brown for Anisimov and it's prettt much the lineup we asked for at the beginning of the season. The Stepan injury might be a blessing here even though I don't wish injury for anyone.

Tkachuk - Norris - C. Brown
Paul - White - Dadonov
Stutzle - L.Brown - Batherson
Dzingel - Tierney - Watson

The wings are in great shape. On the right side you have Bath, Dadonov, C.Brown and Watson and it looks like you clearly have a 1rst, 2nd, 3rd and 4rth liner. On the left you have Stutzle, Tkachul, Paul and Dzingel where you have a 1rst liner, a 1rst/2nd liner, a 3rd liner and Dzingel who can play up and down a lineup.

Next year you add Formenton instead of Dzingel on the left and we should draft another top forward in the next draft so I think in 2 years or so we should have a very deep and complete team up front. Norris looks like he could be a Turris type 2nd line C, White looking like a good 3C and then you have Pinto coming in who could be a 2/3C (maybe more). Hopefully we can add another top prospect at center in the next draft.

Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - Zaitsev
Thomson

If Murray can keep up, and our team getting better and better at keeping the puck out of our zone we're looking better and better. If Murray can keep playing this way it'll be huge for us.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
White seems to be still ailing with something. Smith alluded to him being banged up.. I noticed twice yesterday where he could not get up to speed rushing the puck through the neutral zone.. I was say skate f%^& but now that Smith said that I am thinking he has something.. could be that groin thing acting up again , that would certainly do it. Anyway got lucky on his first goal but it was an off speed shot impacted by Hanafin .. 2nd one was a nice play by Chabot right in front.. made no mistake. He had 3 good chances against Price the game before.. so chances are starting to come. That line was really playing well for a good stretch and have tailed off a bit over the past 3-4 games.. that could coincide with White getting banged up as well.

Reactions: DrEasy

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
A lot of those struggles were on the forwards not being able to get the puck out. The few times the sens were hemmed in their own end for lengthy times were the results of forwards giving the puck away. Dadanov with the worst one resulting in the flames only goal.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Disagree. Someone has to call out the disinformation that gets spread around here.

There's nothing wrong with being negative about the team. There's something extremely wrong with spreading lies to support your agenda. But I suppose that's the state of society and social media today.
So opinions in disagreement with yours are disinformation.. that checks out .. consistent if nothing else.

lol calling people that disagree with you lying cockroaches. Get a hold of yourself man

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
White has been playing really well imo, but if he wants to get more mins he's going to need to improve at the dot. Not sure what's going on, previous two years he was mediocre but well within acceptable, this year he has struggled on a whole different level. Doesn't make much sense unless he's dealing with a minor injury or something

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
After the 1 win in the first 13 games(?), it was the end of the world, and people were tearing this team, management and ownership apart...... a bit of an over reaction. Now it’s 5 wins in last 7 (?) games.... and now there are playoffs dancing in the dreams of some people, and a major trade away from the Stanley Cup.

The Sens are neither as bad as their start, or as good as their last 7 games.

The pendulum of the season swings back and forth, but in the end they’ll end up somewhere in the middle. The luck was not going in their direction at the beginning of the season, and now it is...... it will settle down, and this will still be a rebuilding season, and if they get close to a playoff spot, a marked improvement over last season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
White has been playing really well imo, but if he wants to get more mins he's going to need to improve at the dot. Not sure what's going on, previous two years he was mediocre but well within acceptable, this year he has struggled on a whole different level. Doesn't make much sense unless he's dealing with a minor injury or something
Yah I thought about that too... he was decent two years prior.. Should be working every chance he can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad