Post-Game Talk: Sens destroy the Flames - 6-1

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tkachuk is not really the most engaged forward in his own zone. Don’t hate on me, I had to say it.
Not expecting him to lead forwards in blocks or anything, just wasn't expecting last, with less blocks than anisimov who has a quarter the total icetime.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
So, Tkachuk is leading the team in pts, goals, hits, PIMS, es goals, game winning goals, but i was a little surprised when i saw this one stat...

Tkachuk is dead last among regulars on the team in blocked shots... I would have though with his rugged style he'd have jumped in the way of more than just 4 shots... Not really trying to critique him on it, because part of it is not being on the PK, but it wasn't what i expected to see.
Thank GOD... you want the kid injured...Say Gallagher and his hands, or Petterssen and the Body slam, or Gaudreau and his hands or Scheifele and his sliced tendon...or wait, one Erik Karlsson and his Achilles.... What, Crosby did not come within an inch of having his career end.

Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Chabot, Branstromm and Stuzzle..No f'ng attempt at shot blocking...

We need them upright and playing, not on the IR for 2-8 weeks.

Let Mathew's wrist injury be real. Let McDavid do something stupid like take a shot off his injured knee and watch the screaming.

BEST f'ng stat of the day

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don't really see where he fits as a C on this team. It works for now, but with guys like Pinto on their way he's going to quickly be outplayed.

Pinto is looking awesome as a prospect but he has yet to prove anything at the pro level. White was similarly awesome in college hockey and now has 2 out of 3 (one is still young) NHL seasons of producing like a 2nd line C. I think it's far from a guarantee that Pinto usurps White anytime in the next 2-3 years. It's not impossible and would be a good problem to have but it's far from a sure thing, IMO.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Random comment but I have liked Matthew Peca so far. Adds some speed and forechecking ability. He sacrificed taking a hit from Lucic that ultimately lead to Gudbranson scoring.

He's been a noticeable forechecker when his line gets to that end of the ice. He's small but fearless. I've enjoyed his game when he's been in. Especially if given the choice between he and Haley.

My sister's boyfriend played with him in Pembroke. Said he's a super solid dude too.

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm still not convinced with Smith playing Reilly so much, but credit where it's do the team is playing pretty well right now.

If you could magically replace/trade Reilly, Anisimov and Tierney by Sanderson, Formenton and Brown

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Brown-Dadonov
Formenton-Paul-Brown
Dzingel-White-Watson
Peca

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Gudbranson
Wolanin

Starting to look sexy

Addition by subtraction.

What many of us wanted before or at the start of the season has been progressively happening. It's nice that DJ Dorion are finally listening! :sarcasm:

Having all of Anisimov, Stepan, Galchenyuk, Paquette, Josh Brown, Coburn and Reilly in the lineup was unsurprisingly detrimental. It's not a big surprise that things have started to improve in February

Half our goals were scored by colours.

I didn't know Gudbranson and Brannstrom were colors! :sarcasm: Maybe in Swedish?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thank GOD... you want the kid injured...Say Gallagher and his hands, or Petterssen and the Body slam, or Gaudreau and his hands or Scheifele and his sliced tendon...or wait, one Erik Karlsson and his Achilles.... What, Crosby did not come within an inch of having his career end.

Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Chabot, Branstromm and Stuzzle..No f'ng attempt at shot blocking...

We need them upright and playing, not on the IR for 2-8 weeks.

Let Mathew's wrist injury be real. Let McDavid do something stupid like take a shot off his injured knee and watch the screaming.

BEST f'ng stat of the day

Not asking for him to sprawl out on the ice, you can get a ton of blocks by fronting the shooter and being in the lanes. Stützle has double his blocks, same with MacKinnon, and Draisaitl, crosby and Malkin are tripling him,

He's on a pace for 14 blocks over 82 games... You could block that many standing in the corner all game... It's odd and well down from last year.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Not asking for him to sprawl out on the ice, you can get a ton of blocks by fronting the shooter and being in the lanes. Stützle has double his blocks, same with MacKinnon, and Draisaitl, crosby and Malkin are tripling him,

He's on a pace for 14 blocks over 82 games... You could block that many standing in the corner all game... It's odd and well down from last year.
this is probably an issue that can be better discussed by "experts". So, this is an amateurs view.

But he is a winger, plays left side, so he is defending their right defensman...We know the talent void on the right side of D...If he plays high, then he may be blocking their possession! So, limiting shots from them....maybe, just maybe that is a cause.

all the guys you listed are centermen..play infornt of the net...so bombs away....Stuzzle..a rookie, afraid of being beaten wide, stays lower in the box, the right D infornt of him gets greater handling opportunities and bombs away.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
this is probably an issue that can be better discussed by "experts". So, this is an amateurs view.

But he is a winger, plays left side, so he is defending their right defensman...We know the talent void on the right side of D...If he plays high, then he may be blocking their possession! So, limiting shots from them....maybe, just maybe that is a cause.

all the guys you listed are centermen..play infornt of the net...so bombs away....Stuzzle..a rookie, afraid of being beaten wide, stays lower in the box, the right D infornt of him gets greater handling opportunities and bombs away.

Out of 110 LW with 10+ games he ranks 84th in blocks and has the most games played. his blocks per 60 mins is 97th. He just isn't blocking a lot of shots.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Are you saying that every Canadian team is void of talent on the right side of their D?

BT was 2nd in blocks on the team last year for forwards with 43. Him getting in the shooting lane a little bit more to average what he's been doing his first two years is not crazy observation.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Out of 110 LW with 10+ games he ranks 84th in blocks and has the most games played. his blocks per 60 mins is 97th. He just isn't blocking a lot of shots.
I have ran out of explanations...all that is left is the "half assed", he plays high and blocks possession. I must confess to have no where near your access to data to know if they track shots directed at, or possession of Dmen in the offensive zone in front of, etc..you know what I mean.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Are you saying that every Canadian team is void of talent on the right side of their D?

BT was 2nd in blocks on the team last year for forwards with 43. Him getting in the shooting lane a little bit more to average what he's been doing his first two years is not crazy observation.
no..no..it was a general comment. Right handed, are precious. On some teams, they have lefties playing the opposite side. I would be curious to see if stats exist for shots from the right D, versus left D. From D drifting to a more central position, etc...you know what I mean?

It could simply be a combination of weaker talent, Dmen drifting away to shoot, him playing high..

last year he was a young kid..skated everywhere. Now he is smarter. Holds his position better. Experienced enough to know to play high and block Dmen possession. He is big enough that if they try to move around him, he can block them..

Again...an amateurs view and presumption..Maybe, just maybe he is not facing many shots.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
4 teams with 15 points and tied for last place, but two teams (Buffalo & NYR) with 5 games in hand.

We are tied with Detroit now though.

Still think the Senators need a couple of good players from this draft.

There's already several young players in the organization that will eventually come in and improve the team's quality : Sanderson, Pinto, Formenton, JBD, Greig, Kleven, etc

I don't think we necessarily NEED more players from the draft. Yes of course, to keep the wheel going but I think we already have the pieces

Stutzle-Brown-Batherson
Tkachuk-Norris-Greig
Formenton-Pinto-Brown
Abramov-Paul-White

Chabot-JBD
Sanderson-Brannstrom
Kleven-Zub
Wolanin

Lines/pairings could be different but you see what it looks like. Of course Logan Brown is still a total mystery. Him or Tim Stutzle will have to be the #1 Center.

After the 1 win in the first 13 games(?), it was the end of the world, and people were tearing this team, management and ownership apart...... a bit of an over reaction. Now it’s 5 wins in last 7 (?) games.... and now there are playoffs dancing in the dreams of some people, and a major trade away from the Stanley Cup.

Montreal just fired their head coach and associate coach after a 2-4-2 sequence (6 pts our of 16 pts possible)... despite a pretty hot start

Sens were 2-12-1 to start the season after being bottom-2 for 3 straight seasons. There was very serious LEGIT reasons for concern.

After all the picks/prospects capital obtained from tanking and trading star players, it was really the time to show improvement. They have to keep it going or it will justifiably go back to massive negativity.

It's easier for people to assume or make up things rather than check the facts. But then again after checking the facts they might not support one's opinion so better to ignore them. :laugh:

Would you say that I am someone who "ignore facts" or "spread disinformation"? Because I was pretty much on the opposite side of the spectrum for the whole season (and pre-season)... so pretty sure I am among posters targeted by those comments.

The reality is there's a major difference between a team that is competing (like recently) and a team that is 2-12-1 and a whooping -34 in 15 games lol

I'm sorry, but the last 4 seasons including this one, there's not been a lot of reasons to be "positive" or to pretend that everybody should be absolved of criticism. Trashed : absolutely not. Criticized : absolutely yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Draft rankings this season are all over the place too. Might get a guy at 11 you rank at 4 lol. Theres not even a consensus #1 pick. Such a strange draft that I dont think you NEED a top 4 pick to grab a potential star.

Reactions: Emrasie

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
no..no..it was a general comment. Right handed, are precious. On some teams, they have lefties playing the opposite side. I would be curious to see if stats exist for shots from the right D, versus left D. From D drifting to a more central position, etc...you know what I mean?

It could simply be a combination of weaker talent, Dmen drifting away to shoot, him playing high..

last year he was a young kid..skated everywhere. Now he is smarter. Holds his position better. Experienced enough to know to play high and block Dmen possession. He is big enough that if they try to move around him, he can block them..

Again...an amateurs view and presumption..Maybe, just maybe he is not facing many shots.

If you're looking for shot maps, there are a few resources out there for anyone to see on Twitter. NHL Shotmaps as far as I know updates after each period. Here's the one from last night:

EvHnak2XcAEOOW2

It's anecdotal, but a large portion of the Flames chances came from the right point. Brady could put those shin pads to work.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
If you're looking for shot maps, there are a few resources out there for anyone to see on Twitter. NHL Shotmaps as far as I know updates after each period. Here's the one from last night:

EvHnak2XcAEOOW2

It's anecdotal, but a large portion of the Flames chances came from the right point. Brady could put those shin pads to work.
1) COOL
2) Let me be the trouble maker who says it...contract year!!!

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
So when does the narrative change around teams sucking if they lose to us? I get it, who cares what other fanbases think but at some point they'll have to acknowledge that we're miles better than our early season results showed.
I kind of enjoy every rival fan and every sports anchor calling Ottawa "the worst team in the league." Reminiscent of the 2017 playoffs when we didn't belong in the postseason.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I kind of enjoy every rival fan and every sports anchor calling Ottawa "the worst team in the league." Reminiscent of the 2017 playoffs when we didn't belong in the postseason.
lets move up 1 spot in our Division at least before we start critiquing some talking heads for thinking we are not very good

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Nick Paul has to be one of the best bottom sixers in the league already.

Anyone else think Brannstrom should be on the first PP? Not a diss on Chabot but Brannstrom might have the highest hockey iq on the roster.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nick Paul has to be one of the best bottom sixers in the league already.

Anyone else think Brannstrom should be on the first PP? Not a diss on Chabot but Brannstrom might have the highest hockey iq on the roster.
Count me in on the not yet column

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad