Post-Game Talk: Sens DESTROY Habs 3-2 - February 4th

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Good news is Reilly played the least of all the D men. Zub and Brannstrom what a difference, hopefully Wolanin comes in for Reilly when he is healthy.

Wolanin will have to outplay Reilly (which is sad in itself) and neither are well suited for a 5-6 roll on this team, especially with all the puck movers in the org ahead of them.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Another thing I noticed. I always knew he could skate but when anderson gets going he can fly

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wolanin will have to outplay Reilly (which is sad in itself) and neither are well suited for a 5-6 roll on this team, especially with all the puck movers in the org ahead of them.
Both are perfectly suited to that role. Reilly was basically our 6th d man last nightC and it was his best game of the season

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I thought I would share this with you Sens fans who wake up every day surrounded by Toronto and Montreal fans. You have every right to be salty, and I truly wish the Senators nothing but success. Especially against the Leafs and Habs.

This is for you guys:
upload_2021-2-5_9-19-22.jpeg

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Zaitsev has been low-key solid in almost every game this season, and I think that frequently gets overlooked.

Gudbranson can play a role and generally play it well; IMO his primary problem has been that he's getting slotted with 7th/AHL partners and forced to carry the pair. If he's asked to do too much, it gets real obvious real fast that he simply doesnt have the tools.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Wow what a game.

Jimmy, what could be said about him that hasn’t been said about the Great One, Mario and Messier.

Kellogg’s All Bran was looking smooth all night and didn’t leave me holding my shit every time the puck cam near him or on his stick, like it did with those towering idiots of Brown and Coburn. Amazing that in today’s NHL you need a dman that can actually make an NHL pass and has the patience and hands to breakout of the zone. What a concept. Also he somehow made Gudbranson look like a serviceable Dman.

Also Zub wow, basically our 3rd best dman already.

I also noticed that the forwards were doing a much better job last night back checking and supporting the dman a lot better in the dzone. Their sticks were a lot more active and deflected a lot of passes and broke out a lot of rushes. It definitely improved the overall team defense.

Last point, you cannot tell me that Stepan is a better skater than Logan Brown right now. Holy shit this dude makes Bobby Ryan look like Bobby Orr with his skating. He’s always 2-3 steps behind the play. He just needs to gtfo at this point and put someone that can do the job at least as good as him with a higher ceiling.

Even if you don’t want LBrown in there put Chlapik in and give me an actual energy line that can skate, hit and make some plays.

Formenton-Chlapik-Watson

This line can cause some havoc and annoy the other team at least.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Zaitsev has been low-key solid in almost every game this season, and I think that frequently gets overlooked.

Gudbranson can play a role and generally play it well; IMO his primary problem has been that he's getting slotted with 7th/AHL partners and forced to carry the pair. If he's asked to do too much, it gets real obvious real fast that he simply doesnt have the tools.
I think gudbranson is the 7th/AHL d man on his pairing. He legitimately cannot defend.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Had a dream Watson scores a goal against Philly. So I realize that’s impossible so either we are making the playoffs or this dream was a prophecy for next year

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Well I was worried they were not playing Brannson cause he'd lost something. Hope DJ wasn't playing him because.... insert whatever limp dick reason here.... I though Grudbranson was a very good partner for Brannson.
Zub is just better the Josh brown.
Stepan, I want to like him. He's like the old northern pikes song "she ain't pretty she just looks that way" in that he looks like he should be better but man is he not. I get the trying the whole verterna thing. Watson looks good. Galchenyuk used in spot duty has looked good.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
For me, Brannstrom was our second best defenseman last night. It's a wonder what adding him an Zub can do to the whole line up. And Stutzle finally on the first PP unit is nice to see. He is already our best or second best offensive player (along with Batherson).

So while I give Smith points for those decisions, it is concerning that Stepan still gets meaningful minutes, and also that it took him so long to come to these conclusions. Ok, perhaps Brannstrom was injured? But the general public has been asking for these changes since day one. They were obvious decisions to make and materially led to our second (!!) win of the season. Hoping that Smith can continue to grow as a coach.

Reactions: DrEasy

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I think gudbranson is the 7th/AHL d man on his pairing. He legitimately cannot defend.
I dont know that I agree.

The hammering by Vancouver, he's paired with Reilly and the two may as well have had Yakkety Sax playing over the PA every shift.

Against Edmonton the other night, he's stuck with Coburn. Cue the saxophones.

Last night he was paired with Brannstrom (with a couple shifts with Zaitsev towards the end) and he seemed generally fine. He isnt playing at the level where he can cover for egregious errors (of which Reilly and Coburn commit plenty) by his partner, and lets be honest he's completely worthless with the puck on his stick in the d-zone...but I think he is still very serviceable in the 4D to 7D range.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Both are perfectly suited to that role. Reilly was basically our 6th d man last nightC and it was his best game of the season

Possibly.. sorta looking towards the end of season mix/2021 D.

Chabot Z
Brann Sanderson
Zub Brown

Is a pretty light group. It doesn't get any bigger if Wolanin, JBD, LT etc slide in for Brown.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Possibly.. sorta looking towards the end of season mix/2021 D.

Chabot Z
Brann Sanderson
Zub Brown

Is a pretty light group. It doesn't get any bigger if Wolanin, JBD, LT etc slide in for Brown.
Brown is benched by the dude who requested him who he has a history with. Don’t think he has a future here

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Brown is benched by the dude who requested him who he has a history with. Don’t think he has a future here

Could be ... I think he sticks around through next season. That D corp is really small without him. I don't think DJ wants to run 6 puck movers on his back end. Are you aware of any team currently doing that with any success ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad