Post-Game Talk: Sens DESTROY Habs 3-2 - February 4th

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I was in and out of the GDT yesterday, but did anyone talk about that weird segment in the intermissions where Garrioch basically said Stepan is on the way out? The way he spoke, he had definitely been fed that information to say publicly.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I was in and out of the GDT yesterday, but did anyone talk about that weird segment in the intermissions where Garrioch basically said Stepan is on the way out? The way he spoke, he had definitely been fed that information to say publicly.
Yah there are rumours he wants to be close to his family back in the US. Makes room for L. Brown or Formenton to draw in?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Could be ... I think he sticks around through next season. That D corp is really small without him. I don't think DJ wants to run 6 puck movers on his back end. Are you aware of any team currently doing that with any success ?
His size isn’t an asset though? So you would run 5 puck overs and pylon? You see any teams currently doing that with any success?

besides Tampa in the playoffs last year but I mean obviously the rest of that team is top notch to hide bogosian

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
His size isn’t an asset though? So you would run 5 puck overs and pylon? You see any teams currently doing that with any success?

besides Tampa in the playoffs last year but I mean obviously the rest of that team is top notch to hide bogosian

Not sure... My general feeling is that teams don't want 6 puck movers for playoffs ... It was nice to see Brann on the PK blocking shots last night and I suspect Sanderson will be a hybrid mover/stopper but who knows what he looks like year 1.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We paid a 2nd for him. If we can get a 4th back we will be lucky. Not sure if we will get even that.

For most teams in the league its a bad contract; a bad cap hit.. when you try to move those players you usually have to give something to get rid of them and/or take a bad contract back. He is not worth a 2nd or a 3rd for sure.. a 4th is stretching it .. I don't see anyone giving up a 4th and taking on the cap hit.

Dorion had much more leverage than giving up a 2nd in this deal

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
For most teams in the league its a bad contract; a bad cap hit.. when you try to move those players you usually have to give something to get rid of them and/or take a bad contract back. He is not worth a 2nd or a 3rd for sure.. a 4th is stretching it .. I don't see anyone giving up a 4th and taking on the cap hit.

I've said it half joking in the past, but you might actually have to give up an asset to get someone to take Stepan lol.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not sure... My general feeling is that teams don't want 6 puck movers for playoffs ... It was nice to see Brann on the PK blocking shots last night and I suspect Sanderson will be a hybrid mover/stopper but who knows what he looks like year 1.
Just because a player is a puck mover doesn’t mean he can’t play defense or is small. Zaitsev isn’t small zub isn’t small. Sanderson not small. Brown just isn’t good enough.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Just because a player is a puck mover doesn’t mean he can’t play defense or is small. Zaitsev isn’t small zub isn’t small. Sanderson not small. Brown just isn’t good enough.
What does it matter if a player is big when they don't use it. Brown has been slow, struggles to move the puck, has poor gap control and doesn't seem to be physical. There's nothing there.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Zub and Brannstrom looked good, man. Best news in a while there.
Those guys and maybe Wolanin taking spots seems like the main key to improving the team beyond Murray getting it together.

Zaitsev seems to be playing well, so if they can keep Brown and Coburn out of the lineup and Gud can be properly slotted as a 5/6 guy, they could turn it around a fair bit.
Honestly, I think it was 2016-17 with EK, Methot, and Phaneuf. Even that is questionable.
Talk about short lived. We went years waiting for it and then it was over before we knew it.

Not having the personnel on the backend has been a problem for this team for a long time, almost all of Murray's tenure as GM.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Home teams are 96-43-18 this season, a 109pt pace adjusted for 82 games. Good for 2nd in the league in 18-19 and 6th in 17-18.

Being quarantined in those hotel rooms really sucks.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I think what is most surprising was how badly the Canadiens forechecked and how well we were able to move the puck out so quickly.

Considering the make-up of their team, it was out of character.

But at the same time, we turfed our slowest and worst puck handling d-men and to no great shock, we spent much less time in our own zone.

It also helps that the Habs don't have the superstars up front that the other teams we've played so far this season do. The Habs have a deep team but they don't have a Matthews, McDavid, Pettersson, or Scheifele up front.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It also helps that the Habs don't have the superstars up front that the other teams we've played so far this season do. The Habs have a deep team but they don't have a Matthews, McDavid, Pettersson, or Scheifele up front.

I don't think it's really a factor. Montreal was beating everyone else without superstars.

I don't think the energy level was there for Montreal and that's not dependent on talent.

We'll have a better idea by the end of the series how we are relative to the Habs.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Get Wolanin in for Rielly when he’s ready and I won’t even mind our defence anymore.
Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Wolanin-Gudbransson

it’s by no means good but that’s multiple dmen that can actually move the puck. Brannstrom was a huge difference maker last night even though he played relatively quietly. Zub has been a great surprise as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad