Post-Game Talk: Sens def. Canucks - 3-0

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I predicted this letdown, so wasn't too disappointed to see Demko play decently behind a bit of a struggling team in front of him. We'll see how the sea legs fare for him and everyone, I don't expect us to blow out the Sens like we did earlier in the season especially considering the circumstances.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
But seriously, kinda bleh game, but then look at the lineup.

Didn't think Murray really had a good night, but the team just didn't test him all that much. Big guns were quiet most of the night.

New guys continue to be here. Thought Vesey had a good pk shift at some point in the 3rd IIRC, but that's about all I can remember about him. Couple of *almost* moments in the Sens zone, not much else. Highmore is there. Boyd had a couple of forechecking moments. Meh. Not that you'd expect much. Hawryluk and Michaelis definitely exist.

Thought Hamonic had a good game, fight nonwithstanding. Clearly better playing angry. He was godawful when he first got here, but since he settled down he's grown on me. Wouldn't be averse to having him back another year cheaply.

Myers must realize he'll never live up to the contract he signed, but at least he's trying to live up to as much as he can. Effort's there if not the execution.

Juolevi and Chatfield cannot defend the net. At all. Every shift puck's taken right to the goalie. This pairing got creamed. Let's hope it ends with Edler back.

On to Saturday.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The new guys skate fast and are cheap. That's what this team needs in the bottom-6, not our endless succession of boat anchors.

All this nitpicking about role players as if we haven't been spending the last five seasons wasting 5x the salary cap on players who are about the same in what they bring onto the ice but have "name recognition".

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Uninspired effort. Fitness issues likely starting to catch up with them. Poor special teams.

Vesey...no hate directed at the player just for telling it like it is. He’s waiver fodder through and through. That’s why he’s on the Canucks now and he’s doing nothing to suggest he should be on the Canucks after this season. I don’t even think he’s a cheap, 4th line option. Not the player you want in the top 6 or bottom 6.

I’ll disagree with Mossey some. While faster players in the bottom 6 might be better than what the Canucks have been going with the last few years it can’t be the only thing. Those lines still need to be able play possession hockey. Not sure we can say that about that collection of players yet...and to be fair they really haven’t played together so let’s see what happens as they move forward. So minor step in the right direction in that you have the correct salaries in spots, but a step only taken because of injury and inability to offload or buyout contracts. No idea what things will look like next year with this management group.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
We beat the Leafs twice, then lose to the Sens. What is this weird parallel universe we slipped into?
Vancouver has been forced into a brutal physical slog, but an equal factor is that the opposition is all new. Since the last time they met, the Senators have replaced half their lineup: old, slow guys out and young, fast guys in.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Vancouver has been forced into a brutal physical slog, but an equal factor is that the opposition is all new. Since the last time they met, the Senators have replaced half their lineup: old, slow guys out and young, fast guys in.
And the Sens young fast guys are gaining experience and improving. Our old slow guys are not getting any better. Have their young guys now gotten better than our old slow guys? Sure looked that way last night.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
It's crazy would anyone trade Erik Karlsson and his 11.5 million forever contract for Norris Stutzle Tierney another 1st in the 22 draft and a 2nd this year?

well done Ottawa

It was the 2020 draft that turned into Tim Stutzle. They basically a got a young 2C and a high-end 1W.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
It's crazy would anyone trade Erik Karlsson and his 11.5 million forever contract for Norris Stutzle Tierney another 1st in the 22 draft and a 2nd this year?

well done Ottawa

It's brutal when you look at it that way yes. Little odd thinking back now that Karlsson was the best defenseman in the world just prior to signing that forever contract. Good on Ottawa for making the best of things.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
And the Sens young fast guys are gaining experience and improving. Our old slow guys are not getting any better. Have their young guys now gotten better than our old slow guys? Sure looked that way last night.

We need to play our old slow vets.

So the young guys like Brock and Bo can show them how its done.

You don't win the Cup without old folks in the lineup.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Missed the last two periods, looks like I saw ONE TWO many periods

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Only caught the first half of the game, and I dont think that I missed much..Canucks were flat, and the Sens hit two posts (the score could easily have been 4-0 after the 1st)..On top of this, there were questionable reffing calls against the Canucks.

As is generally the case here , a lot of finger pointing at inexperienced players on the Canucks, or players at the bottom of the roster..The players at the top of the lineup seem to get a pass...Their big boys (Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle, Batherson, Brown) showed up, and our top players were mediocre.

Reactions: m9

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Demko didn’t look close to a 100%. Even in the post game interview it looked like he was constantly trying to catch his breath.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I do think it's entirely possible that Ottawa is competitive before us lmao
They are already a handful for any team in the division..Easily the best/promising rebuilding team in the league, and have picked well at the draft (remember when nobody here wanted Brady Tkachuk..?)....They will likely take another step next year, so its a good thing that they are in the Eastern Conference.

If I was a Flame or a Habs fan, I would gladly trade my entire team straight across for the Senators.

I like the Canucks core players..Its the rest of the lineup that needs to be sorted out...As crappy as this season has been, I'm optimistic that they will be back on track next season.

Reactions: K1900L

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
They are already a handful for any team in the division..Easily the best/promising rebuilding team in the league, and have picked well at the draft (remember when nobody here wanted Brady Tkachuk..?)....They will likely take another step next year, so its a good thing that they are in the Eastern Conference.

If I was a Flame or a Habs fan, I would gladly trade my entire team straight across for the Senators.

I like the Canucks core players..Its the rest of the lineup that needs to be sorted out...As crappy as this season has been, I'm optimistic that they will be back on track next season.
Its so sweet of you to be so optomistic.
On one level we agree...I'm confident that next year Benning will once again put the Canucks on the Highway to Hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad