Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Bruins Jan. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The team has confirmed that they will call up a D from Bingo and Methot will be sent down for a conditional stint.

Didn't expact that. Where'd you hear it?

Edit: I just heard it on 1200. Clearly this is old news and I'm behind the times.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What's happening? :scared:

Why would you choose to have two D play their off side when you don't have to. It's completely different from the way he hold the blueline to to the way you play the winger coming down the wing. Not an easy transition.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why would you choose to have two D play their off side when you don't have to. It's completely different from the way he hold the blueline to to the way you play the winger coming down the wing. Not an easy transition.

I think the idea is to have a puck mover on every pair

Cowen and Ceci being together means the bottom pair is horrible at transition plays

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
So, their call up will probably depend on who they want to rotate.

Possible candidates are:
Gryba R
Wiercioch L
Phillips L

Possible call-ups:
Wideman R
Grant R
Claesson L

I like Claesson's chances better.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I think the idea is to have a puck mover on every pair

Cowen and Ceci being together means the bottom pair is horrible at transition plays

Why not then play Wier? He's pretty good in transition and you don't need to play guys on their off sides.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's slow and weak

If he doesn't have the puck he's not helping the team win

Phillips, as long as his minutes are properly managed, is still solid defensively

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He's slow and weak

Phillips, as long as his minutes are properly managed, is still solid defensively

He is slow, but the weakness is overblown. He's been solid whenever he plays and is one of the better puck movers. His numbers are actually the best of all our D.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He is slow, but the weakness is overblown. He's been solid whenever he plays and is one of the better puck movers. His numbers are actually the best of all our D.

His numbers were also very good last year and yet, here we are, once again arguing about why he isn't getting played more regularly

Possibly because his numbers being good isn't the whole story

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's slow and weak

Good thing the team seems to have the puck far more often than not when he's playing. It's led to him having the best goals for % of any D on the team over the last 2 and a half seasons.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
His numbers were also very good last year and yet, here we are, once again arguing about why he isn't getting played more regularly

Is that the same story as to why Phillips' numbers are so bad, and everyone around here thinks he was being used in a role he couldn't hope to succeed in, yet the coach still kept throwing him out there despite never actually getting positive results?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Well I believe it's got more to do with veteran vs. young guy than anything. They don't want to scratch Phillips forever as to not embarrass the guy even further, so they'll play him every chance they get when he has a semi good game. (which he did last game)

But in general, Wier is just better than Phillips and should be playing over him. The numbers show this, the eye test show this, there is no other reason.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Well I believe it's got more to do with veteran vs. young guy than anything. They don't want to scratch Phillips forever as to not embarrass the guy even further, so they'll play him every chance they get when he has a semi good game. (which he did last game)

But in general, Wier is just better than Phillips and should be playing over him. The numbers show this, the eye test show this, there is no other reason.

Phillips is still better, otherwise they would just buy him out. I'm guessing this will be his last year and then they are hoping Wiercioch will be ready to take his place.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Phillips is still better, otherwise they would just buy him out. I'm guessing this will be his last year and then they are hoping Wiercioch will be ready to take his place.

That's not necessarily true. This team is barely above the cap. Paying Phillips a nominal fee for his locker room presence helps on many levels.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Phillips/Wiercioch-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Phillips/Wiercioch-Gryba/Wideman

I wonder what we see tonight, hopefully Wiercioch with Karlsson and Phillips with Wideman.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'd like to see both up but Wideman is 3 years older, so I'd give him a first call-up based on that.

same here starling. good idea to see if we have anything in alex grant too before saying goodbye. big guy. ppg in nhl (2games)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

There's much more to the story than "if he's not good enough they will buy him out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad