Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #6

Who is the Sens #6 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Maybe...but it depends how much a person values defensive blueliners. I know they don't have the sexy point totals and all that....but you can't win a Cup without at least one solid shutdown guy on defense.

No disagreement here, just keep in my mind my comments are based on the premise of this thread and how we rank our prospects.

I might be in the minority here but I base my votes based on who I believe to hold most value in a trade and/or which prospect I would hesitate to trade at this time.

I would trade JBD over Ostapchuk, Sokolov, Jarventie and Boucher without hesitation.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Crookshank is getting underrated. I think he's going to be a very solid 3rd liner.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Lot of people putting significantly more weight on a 12 game sample size than a 60 game sample size with Ostapchuk.

Not convinced his offensive upside is particularly high, but with his tools he could carve out a bottom 6 role eventually.

Pool is pretty weak if he's our 6th best prospect.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I definitely am one of those people who underrate Bernard-Docker and I have never really been impressed with him. He is a difficult prospect to read because he is not exceptional at any specific facet of the game and does not have any particular strengths that can be pointed to.

I would say this is a defining year for him and probably his last chance to really make some sort of progression.
When Zub didn't play the first 10 games and then came in and was a revelation, that's pretty much exactly what I said about him. The type of player that makes all the simple plays but doesn't do anything fancy. There's a lot of use for that in the NHL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lot of people putting significantly more weight on a 12 game sample size than a 60 game sample size with Ostapchuk.

Not convinced his offensive upside is particularly high, but with his tools he could carve out a bottom 6 role eventually.

He played on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and had low assist totals in the reg season. Had a really slow start as well. The tools are great though, he's very projectable at the next level imo. Throw him on the Winnipeg ice's roster and he probably doubles his assist totals (not to mention adds a few more goals) and everybody is likely raving about his reg season too.

Not sure he ever becomes more than a middle six guy at the NHL level, but I think a good all round 3rd line winger that plays that physical game you want is a fair projection.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Watching him early last season I was baffled at the lack of production. Ostapchuk and Lysell just couldn’t seem to get on the same page. I am expecting a huge year from him this season.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ostapchuk, again extremely easily IMO.
Agreed. I had him 5th behind Sanderson, Pinto, Greig and Sogaard.

My ranking is based on the highest role a prospect could achieve on an NHL in my opinion.

Sanderson top pair - likely
Pinto 2nd line centre - quite possible
Greig 2nd line winger/3rd line centre - quite possible
Sogaard good #1 - possible
Ostapchuk 2nd line winger/centre - possible

I value in order
Top 6 centres
Top pair D
Top line wingers
#1 goalies
Second pair D/3rd line centres
2nd line wingers

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed. I had him 5th behind Sanderson, Pinto, Greig and Sogaard.

My ranking is based on the highest role a prospect could achieve on an NHL in my opinion.

Sanderson top pair - likely
Pinto 2nd line centre - quite possible
Greig 2nd line winger/3rd line centre - quite possible
Sogaard good #1 - possible
Ostapchuk 2nd line winger/centre - possible

I value in order
Top 6 centres
Top pair D
Top line wingers
#1 goalies
Second pair D/3rd line centres
2nd line wingers
I don't really see much of a distinction between top line and 2nd line wingers. To me, the same players tend to be used in both those roles, though there are some exceptional wingers that are clearly a tier above, if you're a 2nd line winger, odds are you'd fit in fine on a top line too.

I also fine D a bit odd to categorize like this; a guy like Methot for example played on our top pair, but is in no way on the same level as a guy like Sanderson (potential), Chabot, or Karlsson. To me there are D that can anchor a pairing, and D that can support one. I'd value a guy that can anchor a second pairing over a guy that can support a top pair.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't really see much of a distinction between top line and 2nd line wingers. To me, the same players tend to be used in both those roles, though there are some exceptional wingers that are clearly a tier above, if you're a 2nd line winger, odds are you'd fit in fine on a top line too.

I also fine D a bit odd to categorize like this; a guy like Methot for example played on our top pair, but is in no way on the same level as a guy like Sanderson (potential), Chabot, or Karlsson. To me there are D that can anchor a pairing, and D that can support one. I'd value a guy that can anchor a second pairing over a guy that can support a top pair.
I consider a guy who can anchor a 1st or 2nd pair to be top pairing. My rationale is that a guy anchoring a 2nd pair is generally there due to another top pair D on the team. A complementary player on top pair like Methot is a 2nd pair D to me. I base it on ability rather than a coaches deployment.

When I say top pair winger I mean a star in the ilk of PPG+. If a guy like Van Riemsdyk is deployed on a 1st line it doesn’t mean he has top line winger ability. I mean guys like Marner, Huberdeau, Panarin types.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Prospect pool is looking pretty weak these days, especially after yet another horrendous draft.

Not being familiar with player names does not make the prospect pool weak.

We have also graduated a few "prospects" very recently which will obviously diminish what we have on the cupboard; this is simply a natural part of the process to becoming competitive.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I consider a guy who can anchor a 1st or 2nd pair to be top pairing. My rationale is that a guy anchoring a 2nd pair is generally there due to another top pair D on the team. A complementary player on top pair like Methot is a 2nd pair D to me. I base it on ability rather than a coaches deployment.

When I say top pair winger I mean a star in the ilk of PPG+. If a guy like Van Riemsdyk is deployed on a 1st line it doesn’t mean he has top line winger ability. I mean guys like Marner, Huberdeau, Panarin types.
That's an absurdly high standard for top line winger, there were only about 30 pt per game wingers last year and that's stretching the definition of pt per game to include everyone above .9 pts per game. I'd also take any of those guys you mentioned ahead of the vast majority of 2nd line centers in the league. I mean, who is the average 2nd line center, guys like Stastny, Reinhardt, Trocheck, Horvat, maybe Tavares?

I mean, I guess I'm just arguing semantics here as it's just your arbitrary name for the threshold, but it's really hard to get a feel for what you meant based on the name alone without the added info...

Maybe a better way of looking at it is league wide instead of framing it as lines/pairs since as you say, deployment is dependant on the makeup of the rest of the team;

So, does this line up with what you mean?

Top 60 center
Top 60 D
top 30 W (or would you expand your group to encompass guys like B.Tkachuk, Dubois, Giroux, Petterson, Svechnikov that don't quite meet the high standard of pt per game)
top 30 G
61-120 D, and 61-90 C
31-120 W (perhaps 61-120)

I'd still differ a bit, I think a top 30 winger (assuming you still keep that threshold) carries more value than say the 45th best Dman in the league, I probably also would split goalies into two categories as a top 10 goalie very different from a 11-30 goalie, the former to me is on par with a #1 center, while the later is closer to a 3rd line center.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We have also graduated a few "prospects" very recently which will obviously diminish what we have on the cupboard; this is simply a natural part of the process to becoming competitive.
Prospect pools are often judged based on the top end, with Boucher not having an impressive post draft year, and no 1st this year, paired with us graduating Stutzle, things thin out quick at the top.

Interestingly, had we chosen Sillinger instead of Boucher, he'd be graduated already and things wouldn't look much different, heck had Pinto been healthy, and Sanderson signed his ELC last year, things would look far worse due to graduations...

Reactions: TheDebater

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's an absurdly high standard for top line winger, there were only about 30 pt per game wingers last year and that's stretching the definition of pt per game to include everyone above .9 pts per game. I'd also take any of those guys you mentioned ahead of the vast majority of 2nd line centers in the league. I mean, who is the average 2nd line center, guys like Stastny, Reinhardt, Trocheck, Horvat, maybe Tavares?

I mean, I guess I'm just arguing semantics here as it's just your arbitrary name for the threshold, but it's really hard to get a feel for what you meant based on the name alone without the added info...

Maybe a better way of looking at it is league wide instead of framing it as lines/pairs since as you say, deployment is dependant on the makeup of the rest of the team;

So, does this line up with what you mean?

Top 60 center
Top 60 D
top 30 W (or would you expand your group to encompass guys like B.Tkachuk, Dubois, Giroux, Petterson, Svechnikov that don't quite meet the high standard of pt per game)
top 30 G
61-120 D, and 61-90 C
31-120 W (perhaps 61-120)

I'd still differ a bit, I think a top 30 winger (assuming you still keep that threshold) carries more value than say the 45th best Dman in the league, I probably also would split goalies into two categories as a top 10 goalie very different from a 11-30 goalie, the former to me is on par with a #1 center, while the later is closer to a 3rd line center.
You could generalize that way as it is subjective. I just don’t really value wingers as highly as other positions unless they are game changers like Kane and the others. Maybe I’m out of touch with todays game but give me Centres and a top pairing D and I can find away to build a winner.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

I am familiar with the prospects we currently have, there is nothing wrong with admitting that most of them will not be anything more than 4th line grinders.

I am aware that most of the better prospects have already graduated, which is primarily the reason why the sens pool is ranked so low right now which was compounded by having 2 poor drafts in a row.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I am familiar with the prospects we currently have, there is nothing wrong with admitting that most of them will not be anything more than 4th line grinders.

I am aware that most of the better prospects have already graduated, which is primarily the reason why the sens pool is ranked so low right now which was compounded by having 2 poor drafts in a row.

Well....we didn't have a first round pick this year. Hard to have a "great" draft without a first rounder.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering who we got for that 7th overall pick.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think it's a bit odd to call this draft poor already, unless all you mean is we didn't draft in the first ~60 picks (fair enough if that's what you mean). Time will tell, but the 2019 draft was initially panned as a poor to average at best draft by the team, we now have 5 of the 6 picks having played in the NHL, and not a single one is considered a bust as of yet. Pinto looks like a very good pick, Lodin could be a hidden gem, Thomson looks to be providing about what can be expected after a slow start. Give it time before writing off a draft as poor.

I say this while admittedly not being particularly high on the 2021 draft, but at least there we have a post draft season to get a feel for things.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The amount that Jarventie has been able to score against men in pro leagues before the age of 19 is still pretty impressive.

To me he's #6 right ahead of Ostapchuk.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
LOL! JBD is not a better prospect than Ostapchuk and Boucher.

HFsens has a very strange obsession with JBD and I have no clue why.

It must be some complex psychological self-assurance that somehow the Zibanejad trade is still going to work out.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
HFsens has a very strange obsession with JBD and I have no clue why.

It must be some complex psychological self-assurance that somehow the Zibanejad trade is still going to work out.

Not that I voted for JBD but he was excellent at North Dakota. His transition to pro hockey has been slow but he still does a number of things well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not that I voted for JBD but he was excellent at North Dakota. His transition to pro hockey has been slow but he still does a number of things well.
He was the top defensive Dman on Belleville by the end of the year (top D outright in the last couple months and playoffs according to Dorion), Mann could have utilized him in more of an offensive role, we'd have seen him put up closer to 20-30 pts and people probably would be more excited about him right now but they are developing him for the role they expect him to play at the next level.

I don't see an issue with his transition to the pro game, we're seeing progress just like you want, and he's been successful in the roles he's been asked to play at every level.

edit: full disclosure, voted Ostapchuk

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad