Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2022 #3

Who is the Sens #3 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think Osta is a half step behind the other three. Theres just less organizational need for him and he's got slightly less pedigree to Boucher. Both had dissapointing seasons relative to draft place but both have looked good in dev camp. Boucher has a better chance of bouncing back (normal offseason, no major injuries, etc.)

JBD has a lower ceiling but I feel has a higher likelihood of playing meaningfully with the big club and vice versa for Thomson.

Probably going to vote Bouche, JBD, then Thomson for that reason. Ostapchuk is the clear cut 7th though.

Ostapchuk had a MAJOR coming out party in the playoffs that Boucher can only dream about though. Zack had 23 pts in 12 games, which is 4 MORE points than Boucher had all season/playoffs, in 45 games...

Some people are clearly getting influenced by pick position with Boucher but are not realizing he was expected late in the first. We tried to explain this last year, people still voted Boucher above Greig and Formenton (lol) and it looked silly. Are we going to do the same thing again? Are people confident enough in a MAJOR breakout? He turns 20 in January

I'm not saying a Boucher turnaround is not possible but it would take an UNSEEN one to be the 4th best prospect on this list all of sudden, and not "just PPG" in the OHL at 19-20 years old...

Outside of numbers with so many missed games, Boucher has size, skating (balance, speed), shooting, and underrated playmaking - a potential power forward. He is a meaner Josh Anderson if he can regularly find the back of the net, or a bottom-6 NHLer if he doesn’t reach his offensive potential.

Gabriel Gagne was a good skater with a deadly shot too. Andre Petersson had an unreal skillset. You need results (and a lot more actually) to make your way unto the NHL. Zack Smith went PPG in the WHL at Boucher's age and he was a "late bloomer".

Josh Anderson was a 4th round pick, we'd feel much better if Tyler was one too. But let's real, if Boucher was a 4th round pick, nobody would talk about him for the next poll lol, not even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
After Greig I think it's between JBD, Thomson, and Boucher.

I almost think I actually like Boucher better then both the RHD prospects
I liked Lassi when he played with the Senators last season. He impressed me with his skating and ability to defend against forwards entering the zone, except for one faux pas. JBD looked steady but did not impress me. Boucher has not shown me anything to get excited about up to now.

Crooked is awesome. He's my darkhorse this year to really surprise out of camp (again).
I hear he shanks his shots! :)

Reactions: DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We lack the blue chip guys but I think we have a good group of guys with NHL potential to fill out a roster. I think all of Boucher, JBD, Thomson, Sokolov, Kleven, and Ostapchuk will carve out decent careers. Guys like Kastelic, Kelly, and Crookshank too. They might not ever be top 6/4 players on a regular basis, but good depth is important

Besides, our top 6 right now is Norris (23), Batherson (24), Tkachuk (22) Stutzle (20), Debrincat (24) and Giroux (34). Then we have Pinto (21). There isn't much room for a blue chip forward for the next while...

On D, we could use another top prospect though, would have been nice to get a guy like Jiricek, but I'm more than happy with DeBrincat. Maybe on or more of Roger, Romeo, Norberg, Donovan or Hamara turn out to be gems.
One old foagy in the top 6 that will need replacing in a few years. :)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sanderson
Pinto
Greig
Kleven
Boucher
Sogaard
Ostapchuk
JBD
Lassi

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I never seen "team needs" as a criteria to evaluate a prospect before?
I guess that's what I'm looking at right now. Closeness to the NHL and team need. But you're probably correct in terms of it being better to look at long term projections.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I guess that's what I'm looking at right now. Closeness to the NHL and team need. But you're probably correct in terms of it being better to look at long term projections.

Nothing wrong with looking at this but that has nothing to do with this ranking... or any prospect list ever made.

There's a lot of threads when you can consider and talk about team needs, this is just "off topic" here

NHL readiness is a factor though, but far from being the only/main one. Most of them are in the OP

Reactions: DylanSensFan

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strength, etc

Based on all factors...

Overall skillset: Thomson is a right hand defender, which is a major need on our back end. He is a fast and skillful skater, who has good IQ when it comes to fending off forecheckers. I also enjoy seeing his heavy shot. He is a better than average puck carrier, who will only improve. Areas where he needs work are recognizing traps from other teams that create 2-on-1 and having the ability to know when it is time for forecheck and when it is time to stay on the blue line or in the neutral zone. He needs to work on learning how to see gaps in coverage to get his powerful shot through to the net. Also, working on his gaps when back skating to defend.

Hockey IQ: In terms of defensive skillsets he uses his body positioning and skating as good or better than any defender we currently have, including Chabot. This skillset alone makes him an above average NHL defender. He still has issues with gap control on the back check, but I believe this relates to his time defending a larger sheet of ice and needing to prepare more for the North-South game in the NHL, rather than the more meandering style seen in European games.

Upside: based on what little time we've seen on Thomson in the NHL, he is ahead of schedule in terms of development, which means he's a fast learner as it pertains to his transition from euro style play to North American. He understands how his attributes of skating and body position translate to the NHL and this will only improve as he moves from a rookie to a more seasoned veteran in the league. For the most part Thomson has a steady confidence, but is also a very passionate player, who cares about his team, which are leadership qualities.

I see Thomson's floor as a top-6 defender and ceiling as top-4 on our team. Meaning he slots in at number 3-4 once he is more developed, and will likely be a top-six for quite a few years in the NHL so long as he remains healthy. He offers the possibility of having another defender on the PP, because of his shot and his ability to skate the blue line. Would be perfect for 5-on-3 PP because his shot can get through a lot easier, to create rebounds or just straight goals. His AHL stats, including 10-goals back up the fact that he can produce points from the back end.

Based on his offensive pace in the AHL 26 points in 54 games, if he can translate this offence to the NHL, he is definitely a top-4 defender and this pace of offence aligns comparatively with other defenders in the league such as Bowen Byram from the Colorado Avalanche. I envision Thomson playing the same role that Byram plays for Colorado, in being a stalwart, fast moving defender, who can produce offensive upside when needed.

Overall I see Thomson as at least top-4, but he could be top-3 on our current prospect list. He is maybe tied or only slightly lower rated than a player such as Greig.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Based on all factors...

Overall skillset: Thomson is a right hand defender, which is a major need on our back end. He is a fast and skillful skater, who has good IQ when it comes to fending off forecheckers. I also enjoy seeing his heavy shot. He is a better than average puck carrier, who will only improve. Areas where he needs work are recognizing traps from other teams that create 2-on-1 and having the ability to know when it is time for forecheck and when it is time to stay on the blue line or in the neutral zone. He needs to work on learning how to see gaps in coverage to get his powerful shot through to the net. Also, working on his gaps when back skating to defend.

Hockey IQ: In terms of defensive skillsets he uses his body positioning and skating as good or better than any defender we currently have, including Chabot. This skillset alone makes him an above average NHL defender. He still has issues with gap control on the back check, but I believe this relates to his time defending a larger sheet of ice and needing to prepare more for the North-South game in the NHL, rather than the more meandering style seen in European games.

Upside: based on what little time we've seen on Thomson in the NHL, he is ahead of schedule in terms of development, which means he's a fast learner as it pertains to his transition from euro style play to North American. He understands how his attributes of skating and body position translate to the NHL and this will only improve as he moves from a rookie to a more seasoned veteran in the league. For the most part Thomson has a steady confidence, but is also a very passionate player, who cares about his team, which are leadership qualities.

I see Thomson's floor as a top-6 defender and ceiling as top-4 on our team. Meaning he slots in at number 3-4 once he is more developed, and will likely be a top-six for quite a few years in the NHL so long as he remains healthy. He offers the possibility of having another defender on the PP, because of his shot and his ability to skate the blue line. Would be perfect for 5-on-3 PP because his shot can get through a lot easier, to create rebounds or just straight goals. His AHL stats, including 10-goals back up the fact that he can produce points from the back end.

Based on his offensive pace in the AHL 26 points in 54 games, if he can translate this offence to the NHL, he is definitely a top-4 defender and this pace of offence aligns comparatively with other defenders in the league such as Bowen Byram from the Colorado Avalanche. I envision Thomson playing the same role that Byram plays for Colorado, in being a stalwart, fast moving defender, who can produce offensive upside when needed.

Overall I see Thomson as at least top-4, but he could be top-3 on our current prospect list. He is maybe tied or only slightly lower rated than a player such as Greig.

Pretty good report. I hope people are going to make these when we get a bit farther down the list. Example, if a Swedish poster could come here and give us a good report on Nordberg, Pettersson, Wallberg... that'd be great

Or any Sens forum member could put some links here about what observers had to say about these kids. The cumulation of stuff we read (+ viewings) is what makes our opinion on these guys

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Greig is not even an established AHL player. And Sogaard is on a long path to be develop as a goalie. Do not give up on Sokolov. Who should be number three choice, because he carried Belleville on his shoulders last season.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
1657926990977.png

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Kind of sad to see how empty the cupboards are right now. Especially since Sandy and Pinto are already locks for the roster.

I really hope we have another blue chipper or two emerge for us, especially on the back end.
They still have a number of interesting prospects, not all prospects will turn into star players & they don't have too, they just need to fit the team identity & contribute to wins. Ottawa can't afford to have four top six lines or 6 top four pairings, nobody can & you have to have good bottom line & bottom pair players too.
We lack the blue chip guys but I think we have a good group of guys with NHL potential to fill out a roster. I think all of Boucher, JBD, Thomson, Sokolov, Kleven, and Ostapchuk will carve out decent careers. Guys like Kastelic, Kelly, and Crookshank too. They might not ever be top 6/4 players on a regular basis, but good depth is important

Besides, our top 6 right now is Norris (23), Batherson (24), Tkachuk (22) Stutzle (20), Debrincat (24) and Giroux (34). Then we have Pinto (21). There isn't much room for a blue chip forward for the next while...

On D, we could use another top prospect though, would have been nice to get a guy like Jiricek, but I'm more than happy with DeBrincat. Maybe on or more of Roger, Romeo, Norberg, Donovan or Hamara turn out to be gems.
I think Greig, Boucher, Ostapchuk, Sanderson & maybe Roger & Reidler could turn into very good NHL players. At some point soon they should have a very good top 9 & top 4 D.
Ostapchuk had a MAJOR coming out party in the playoffs that Boucher can only dream about though. Zack had 23 pts in 12 games, which is 4 MORE points than Boucher had all season/playoffs, in 45 games...

Some people are clearly getting influenced by pick position with Boucher but are not realizing he was expected late in the first. We tried to explain this last year, people still voted Boucher above Greig and Formenton (lol) and it looked silly. Are we going to do the same thing again? Are people confident enough in a MAJOR breakout? He turns 20 in January

I'm not saying a Boucher turnaround is not possible but it would take an UNSEEN one to be the 4th best prospect on this list all of sudden, and not "just PPG" in the OHL at 19-20 years old...

Gabriel Gagne was a good skater with a deadly shot too. Andre Petersson had an unreal skillset. You need results (and a lot more actually) to make your way unto the NHL. Zack Smith went PPG in the WHL at Boucher's age and he was a "late bloomer".

Josh Anderson was a 4th round pick, we'd feel much better if Tyler was one too. But let's real, if Boucher was a 4th round pick, nobody would talk about him for the next poll lol, not even close.
After watching Boucher for four straight days, I can't help think that he is going to be a very good player at the NHL level. He has a high hockey IQ, very good vision, does a lot of the little things well & already has a powerful NHL shot. He's already built like a man & is extremely solid on his skates, he can skate really well & the only real thing that I can see that he lacks is some Condra stamina. He does seem to get winded fairly quickly & tries not to get stuck out there for too long. Hopefully he has a really big yr this yr & turns it around, he's the kind of player that will do all the things necessary that will help his linemates & team win games.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Greig is not even an established AHL player. And Sogaard is on a long path to be develop as a goalie. Do not give up on Sokolov. Who should be number three choice, because he carried Belleville on his shoulders last season.

Let’s see what Sokolov can do, great story and love his size, but can’t see where he fits into this team in their 1-3 years.

I expect him to score at least 30 in the A this year, if he doesn’t he’ll be an AHL/NHL tweener

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
For me #4 is gonna be Boucher I have publicly called him a bust but I am buying the hype the org is pushing out on him right now . Also saw some dev camp footage and players are struggling to get this guy off the puck

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So Parker Kelly, Victor Lodin or Tyler Boucher the 1 vote each crowd.

Do you go pesky as they come, slick and smooth, or the Dodge Ram.
Pesky!

Let’s see what Sokolov can do, great story and love his size, but can’t see where he fits into this team in their 1-3 years.

I expect him to score at least 30 in the A this year, if he doesn’t he’ll be an AHL/NHL tweener
UNLESS Sokolov can improve his skating (acceleration) and perhaps become a physical player hitting everyone in his way, he will not become a regular NHL player. At this time he is too slow and too passive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuna99

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
For me #4 is gonna be Boucher I have publicly called him a bust but I am buying the hype the org is pushing out on him right now . Also saw some dev camp footage and players are struggling to get this guy off the puck

I'm from Missouri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad