Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2018 (#7)

Who is currently the Sens #7 prospect?

• Aaron Luchuk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gabriel Gagné

• Maxime Lajoie

• Ben Harpur

• Marcus Högberg

• Angus Crookshank

• Johnny Gruden

• Markus Nurmi

• Nick Paul

• Andreas Englund

• Julius Bergman

• Parker Kelly

• Kevin Mandolese

• Total voters

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Voted for Chlapik, again. His junior career was better than Batherson’s. Plus he was called up last season.

I dont get the argument that he had better junior career, because he had a terrific draft season, a very mediocre D+1 and a dominant D+2. Batherson on the other hand was literally undrafted his draft year, a decent junior player his D+1 and one of the best players in the CHL in his D+2. To me that shows that Drake was a late bloomer who matured a lot especially physically and is more likely to continue improving over a guy like Chaplik whose always been talented but hasn't really seen as much as growth to his game over time. I think both have 20G potential but if that's all Drake becomes I think people will be likely quite disappointed vs what they expect out of Chaplik.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I dont get the argument that he had better junior career, because he had a terrific draft season, a very mediocre D+1 and a dominant D+2. Batherson on the other hand was literally undrafted his draft year, a decent junior player his D+1 and one of the best players in the CHL in his D+2. To me that shows that Drake was a late bloomer who matured a lot especially physically and is more likely to continue improving over a guy like Chaplik whose always been talented but hasn't really seen as much as growth to his game over time. I think both have 20G potential but if that's all Drake becomes I think people will be likely quite disappointed vs what they expect out of Chaplik.

Even if you ignore their entire junior careers except their D+2 (which you shouldn't), Chalpik still out produced Batherson.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Even if you ignore their entire junior careers except their D+2 (which you shouldn't), Chalpik still out produced Batherson.

Chaplik had 1.6 PPG playing on the best team in the league all year with no missed time aside from WJC, meanwhile Drake had 1.5 PPG starting the year on one of the worst teams in the league, had an injury then went straight to the WJC and then got traded to a playoff team which he continued his past pace. I'd say its arguable qt least which had a better D+2 season.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Chaplik had 1.6 PPG playing on the best team in the league all year with no missed time aside from WJC, meanwhile Drake had 1.5 PPG starting the year on one of the worst teams in the league, had an injury then went straight to the WJC and then got traded to a playoff team which he continued his past pace. I'd say its arguable qt least which had a better D+2 season.

Yeah Batherson was traded mid season to the top team in the Q and played 6 less games and got 14 less points than Chlapik. So the only thing that's arguable about these two players is their d+2 seasons, Chlapik has the upper hand everywhere else. Why was it that Drake was easily voted 5th and Chlapik is losing 7th?

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah Batherson was traded mid season to the top team in the Q and played 6 less games and got 14 less points than Chlapik. So the only thing that's arguable about these two players is their d+2 seasons, Chlapik has the upper hand everywhere else. Why was it that Drake was easily voted 5th and Chlapik is losing 7th?

Junior success =/= NHL success.

You can still very well prefer Chlapik to Batherson, but junior stats should not be the determining factor. Otherwise Corey Locke and Matt Foy would have been NHL superstars.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Junior success =/= NHL success.

You can still very well prefer Chlapik to Batherson, but junior stats should not be the determining factor. Otherwise Corey Locke and Matt Foy would have been NHL superstars.

No one is suggesting that junior success=NHL success, but I'm pretty confident in saying that it is a prerequisite. Hardly anyone makes it to the show without producing in junior so I'd say its fair to look at as best available evidence.

There are plenty of guys that are lights out in junior that don't transition to the NHL because there is more to look at than stats. You can throw Ben Duffy into your list there if you want. When drafting you look at the players tools outside of the stats too. Those guys you mentioned were drafted in the 4th and 6th round respectively so there were clearly flaws in their game that scouts didn't like, despite their production.

Chlapik was a mid-round 2nd and Batherson was a late 4th in his d+1, so scouts clearly didn't see them as similar.

Drake as come a long way since then, and he's showing to be a fun smart pick. I just don't see much of a gap, if any at all between the two. Which is why I was curious why Drake went 5th and Chlapik will be 8th or later

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No one is suggesting that junior success=NHL success, but I'm pretty confident in saying that it is a prerequisite. Hardly anyone makes it to the show without producing in junior so I'd say its fair to look at as best available evidence.

There are plenty of guys that are lights out in junior that don't transition to the NHL because there is more to look at than stats. You can throw Ben Duffy into your list there if you want. When drafting you look at the players tools outside of the stats too. Those guys you mentioned were drafted in the 4th and 6th round respectively so there were clearly flaws in their game that scouts didn't like, despite their production.

Chlapik was a mid-round 2nd and Batherson was a late 4th in his d+1, so scouts clearly didn't see them as similar.

Drake as come a long way since then, and he's showing to be a fun smart pick. I just don't see much of a gap, if any at all between the two. Which is why I was curious why Drake went 5th and Chlapik will be 8th or later

Drake got more votes :dunno:... So did Trump ... So did Ford... So did GW (wait)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I think if you watch each guy with the puck on their sticks, that's the bug difference for me. Batherson has some of the best hands of any prospect in hockey right now. The guy can beat defenders, protect the puck, hold onto to it from the D zone to the opposing goal. Its imo game changing.

Chlapik is every bit as smart as Batherson though. He's got lots of skills that are on Batherson's level but I don't think that raw ability to possess the puck is equal.

If you want examples just go to that Sens Prospect twitter and check out some highlights of Batherson from this past season. There were some nutty plays. Nyquist type of stuff.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I think if you watch each guy with the puck on their sticks, that's the bug difference for me. Batherson has some of the best hands of any prospect in hockey right now. The guy can beat defenders, protect the puck, hold onto to it from the D zone to the opposing goal. Its imo game changing.

Chlapik is every bit as smart as Batherson though. He's got lots of skills that are on Batherson's level but I don't think that raw ability to possess the puck is equal.

If you want examples just go to that Sens Prospect twitter and check out some highlights of Batherson from this past season. There were some nutty plays. Nyquist type of stuff.

I agree with all this, but I think Filip sees the ice better and is just more of a complete player. That and he's proving that he's able to be a pro. I very well could be singing a different tune in like 6 months though

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Gustavsson has #1 potential but goalies are such a crapshoot.

Picked Chlapik. Think he has a decent shot at being a top 6 forward.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think he is until August 15th.

From Murray Pam:

"Believe the August 15 date applies to players who were drafted while playing in NCAA. Summers was selected while playing in CCHL, which may mean he's UFA 30 days after his final game at Clarkson."

That said, after looking at the rule, I believe you are right. Unless I am incorrect, it seems to me as though the bolded section here indicates that a player drafted in June of 2014, like Summers, is under team control until August 15 following the graduation of his college class, so long as he becomes a bona fide college student prior to June 1st 2015.

"If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights."

Unless I am reading that wrong, then, it seems you are right and we do retain the rights.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
From Murray Pam:

"Believe the August 15 date applies to players who were drafted while playing in NCAA. Summers was selected while playing in CCHL, which may mean he's UFA 30 days after his final game at Clarkson."

That said, after looking at the rule, I believe you are right. Unless I am incorrect, it seems to me as though the bolded section here indicates that a player drafted in June of 2014, like Summers, is under team control until August 15 following the graduation of his college class, so long as he becomes a bona fide college student prior to June 1st 2015.

"If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights."

Unless I am reading that wrong, then, it seems you are right and we do retain the rights.
Yeah that's how I understood it. Most guys don't get drafted out of the NCAA. Most are JrA and USHL guys going to college. I think as long as they're enrolled and have signed letters of intent, the rule applies.

That said, I doubt we're signing him at this point. Maybe he'll come to camp on ATO.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Yeah that's how I understood it. Most guys don't get drafted out of the NCAA. Most are JrA and USHL guys going to college. I think as long as they're enrolled and have signed letters of intent, the rule applies.

That said, I doubt we're signing him at this point. Maybe he'll come to camp on ATO.

Cant find where I read it, might have been on here, but someone said the reason we haven't signed him is due to off-ice considerations.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Over Chabot...great ranking

Meh, Chabot really wasn’t that great in his draft year, and Puempel was an elite goal scorer in junior. Zboril was widely regarded as the better, more well rounded player.

Turns out Puempel couldn’t develop his game away from the puck, defensively, and consistency, meanwhile Chabot went from extremely raw, to extremely polished in 2 years time.

I don’t think our two defensive picks this past draft will explode like that in their D+1, but they have the tools to break out like Chabot did.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Meh, Chabot really wasn’t that great in his draft year, and Puempel was an elite goal scorer in junior. Zboril was widely regarded as the better, more well rounded player.

Turns out Puempel couldn’t develop his game away from the puck, defensively, and consistency, meanwhile Chabot went from extremely raw, to extremely polished in 2 years time.

I don’t think our two defensive picks this past draft will explode like that in their D+1, but they have the tools to break out like Chabot did.
Hence, scouting...this was 3 years after Puempel was drafted, after Chabots D+1. My comment was more to show that these lists we vote on are what they are.

Neither do I, it was very apparent that Chabot was going to improve faster than others even prior to being drafted

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad